Volkswagen decided to update the name of its Touareg to Touareg 2 after last year's refreshing. The Touareg 2 competes with other mid-luxury SUVs like the Volvo XC90, Saab 9-7X and Infiniti FX35.
New for 2009
Besides some minor interior and exterior revisions, the major news is the new V-6 diesel engine, which replaces last year's twin-turbo diesel V-10. The new diesel is available in the spring of 2009.
The Touareg 2 has scalloped headlights with pronounced bezels. Upscale touches include silver crossbars below the headlights, as well as side mirrors with integrated turn signals. The rear has darker taillights and a new roof spoiler.
The Touareg is 187.2 inches long, making it the shortest of its competitors. Its width is average for its class.
- 17- or 19-inch alloy wheels
- Heated windshield wipers
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Rear spoiler
- Power/heated mirrors
- Automatic headlamps
- Power liftgate
- Optional bi-xenon headlamps
The five-seat interior is trimmed in wood, chrome and aluminum. Cargo volume measures 71 cubic feet when the rear seat is folded. The Touareg 2's 99 cubic feet of passenger volume is smaller than some of its competitors.
- Simulated leather or leather upholstery
- Dual zone automatic climate control with air filtration
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Heated front seats
- Standard 60/40-split bench
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and parking brake handle
- Optional 10-speaker 640-watt audio system
- Optional navigation system with 30GB hard drive
Under the Hood
The Touareg is available with either a V-6 or V-8 gasoline engine. For 2009, the twin-turbocharged diesel V-10 was cut in favor of a V-6 diesel that passes California's stringent new emissions standards. All models have a standard six-speed automatic transmission and full-time all-wheel drive.
A capable off-roader, the Touareg 2 boasts enhanced suspension travel and up to 23 inches of water-fording capability with the optional air suspension. Features like Hill Rock Back Assist and Hill Descent Assist aim to make steep slopes more manageable. Maximum towing capacity across the line is 7,716 pounds.
- 280-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6 with 265 pounds-feet of torque
- 350-hp, 4.2-liter V-8 with 324 pounds-feet of torque
- 225-hp, 3.0-liter turbocharged V-6 diesel producing 407 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed automatic transmission with manual function
- Standard full-time all-wheel drive
- Optional air suspension with continuous damping control
Safety features include rollover sensors for the side curtain airbags, an automatic brake-drying feature for rainy weather and an enhanced electronic stability system with brake assist. On loose surfaces like gravel and snow, VW says the antilock brakes can decrease stopping distances by as much as 20 percent by intentionally locking up to push debris in front of the wheels.
- Side curtain airbags
- Front side-impact airbags
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system with traction control
- Standard daytime running lights
- Optional backup camera
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Volkswagen Touareg 2.