2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Available in 4 styles:  2004 Volkswagen Touareg 4dr AWD shown

Overall

Lots of problems

by Wanna buy a broken toureg? from Riverside, ca | May 29, 2014

Transmission kicks, sunroof opens on its own, faulty tire pressure sensor which bings like crazy, intermittent electrical problems, expensive experiment for me, money-maker for the dealership which cannot fix the problems.

Great for Travel

by Thomas W Jr. from Miami , Fl | January 8, 2014

The car has the amenities of a luxury car, handles like a sports car, has the power of a muscle car, all with great off road capabilities. 100K+ miles and has never left us stranded. The body style doesn't show its age and still turns heads on the road. We live in the country and it has survived the gravel roads as an everyday driver for my wife. Its great for travel (other than the mileage) and gives a sense of safety and security no matter the driving conditions.

9 Years of Headaches

by Really Broke College Student from Torrance, CA | July 9, 2013

My parents bought the 2004 TOUAREG V6 because my mom needed a German car at a reasonable price for her occupation: real estate agent. Don;'t get me wrong; it's a very nice car. But, it's not a great car. This car have had and has SO. MANY. PROBLEMS. it's absolutely ridiculous. Besides parts that need to be replaced because of usage and wearing out (brakes, headlights, oil changes, etc.) maintenance and repairs costs are way too expensive. As this car nears 9 years, 70,000 miles on the ODO, it has a maintanence/repair rap sheet as long as a big time criminal. Drive shaft broke twice. TPMS is faulty. Engine oil is leaking. Airbags were faulty. Changed the headlight and taillight bulbs almost 11 times, gas mileage is horrendous for a V6 (10 city/15 hwy), weighs as much as the Titanic (2.52 tons to be exact), all 4 brake pads and rotors replacement costs almost $1200, the luxury wood trims on all four doors cracked, electric cluster is faulty, and much much more. I got this car last year as a hand-me-down but there is no way I'm keeping this car when I start living by myself and have to support myself. There is no way I can afford the maintenance, repairs, gas on my own. I've read and heard from forums and reviews that the Touaregs got better significantly especially starting the 2011 year model. In conclusion, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. There is a reason why a bunch of '04 Touaregs are sitting in used car lots.

V10 TDI

by Mtflyfisher from Missoula, Montana | August 27, 2012

Amazing vehicle. We got it to replace two vehicles, A V-8 Tundra 4X4 and a Highlander Hybrid. Perfect SUV for Montana. Great power and gas milage, off road capable, ample trailer towing torque, Very comfortable in the cabin, luxurious really. Fun to drive...amazing vehicle.

The Best SUV ever!

by VW lover from Washington D.C. | July 19, 2012

I have owned a Range Rover, a BMW x5 and I currently have a Chevy Tahoe, and I will say for the money the Touareg wins hands down, it has the luxury and refinement of the Range Rover (Maybe a little louder and a bit harsher ride) but darn close. In sport mode, the 4.2L engine with the air ride gives the x5 a run for its money, at a much cheaper price. The interior quality i a bit cheap, I definitely would have to say that, but i bought the European switches online and I have had no problems since. I have had the vehicle serviced every 5 thousand miles (typically 10k) I like to keep on top of the maintenance of my European cars, as I know just missing one can kill them. I have to say my chevy is MUCH larger inside and out, but I really dont get much more passenger room, only cargo and the towing capacity is about the same. Honestly I cannot say enough good things about this vehicle. The Touareg is a good looking, fast, luxurious, well built, addictive vehicle that is as good on road as it is off road (Moab 2011) and frankly I would recommend it to anyone looking for a luxury SUV.

VW Touareg Quite Reliable

by Chunkie from Houston, TX | April 16, 2012

The Touareg is an outstanding vehicle to bob around in. I have actually driven from Houston Texas to Toronto Canada with my 2004 Touareg V8. Very responsive driving and handling in the rain, ice-slush, hail storm or sunny day. Not for the average "soccer mom" though. Not for getting groceries at the local Wal-Mart. Acceleration is exhilirating on the interstate...watch out for the cops though..!

Where do I begin

by zoftigone from Stamford, CT | January 30, 2012

I am a previous owner of a BMW Z3 as well as Jaguar X-Type and all I say each day that I get in my car is how much i've been missing out! This vehicle is amazing!! I definitely made a great choice! I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone especially women. Not to be condescending but I am not well versed on cars and it helps to have a car that tells you what is wrong exactly or remind you to refuel or add wiper fluid.. I am not saying other cars do not do this. It is the way it's done... I really love this car!!!! the only drawback is the gas... if you can fill your tank before it is less than a half tank then you will not notice the high cost however, if you are reminded to refuel as I was once, it will cost you around $80... If you can look past this, it drives seriously like a plane.. pure luxury and it does not hurt that it is a nice looking vehicle.

Toureg

by Turtle from Ft. Mitchell,Ky | November 22, 2011

My Toyota 4runner was a 3 liter and did not have enough power to pull my boat. I researched what suv towed best. The 4 runner had difficulty pulling 2000 lbs, the VW is rated at 7500 lbs.. VW has the extras that amazed me: fold in mirrors(great for off road),tow hitch, parking sensors, air adjustable suspension( for off road), I'm 6'2" and can wear a hat while inside,310 hp,dual heat control,etc.. The Toureg exceeds my wants.I buy used to be sure all the bugs are found before I drive it. I will probably buy another Toureg for my wife.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Nice

by Road Hog! from Fayetteville, NC | July 26, 2011

I searched for this vehicle for several months, I love the performance the most. Lots of service appointments, but it's a to keep the value good! I have a small sound coming from the engine but it is time for service. Besides that the comfort and ride is excellent, a SUV sports car. I have out performed Mustang GT's and VW Golfs on the road I spent a lot of gas but who cares it was amazing. I will be purchasing another.

04 VW Touareg - How good?

by cobrabobby from Loveland, CO | May 17, 2011

Had a specialty preowned dealer friend find this unusually low mileage Touareg for me in Jax, Fl recently. Typical VW fit, finish and quality materials. This is a nice, well designed, and well assembled Touareg. Solid driver, handling and suspension is just right, (firm and quiet). Interior options are a bit much and there is'nt much missing from the option list on this one. Downside, horrendous fuel mileage, but I was warned. The Audi based V8 is a thirsty beast. Overall, I'm very pleased and surprised at the quality build of this nice sized SUV. I recommend it to anyone with at least 5 fuel credit cards.

Featured Services for this Volkswagen Touareg