2012 Volkswagen Touareg

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Buyer beware

by Moving on from Fort Lauderdale, FL | February 24, 2014

I own a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux and when I bought it Certified Used, I noticed steering wheel vibrations at and above 60 mph and the vehicle pulls to the right. Note that there are tons of VW Touaregs out there with this issue, and the VW does not do anything to address this. Make sure you do a search on the issue described above and you will see how many people have the same issue. I am deeply disappointed and VW has lost a customer forever.

Nice when new

by TDI nut from Los Angeles | June 28, 2013

Drives great when new, when under warranty, but if it's like most VW products, expensive items will start failing as soon as it's out of warranty and on your dime. Labor rates for repair are high, as are hours, and price of parts. Takes very, very expensive TDI VW 507.00 specific motor oil, that is hard to find. Brake jobs when due are expensive also. Car is heavy, drives like a tank. Due to weight, this car is hard on tires, brakes, fuel and wear and tear in city driving, much, much much better in open road/highway/interstate travel. The Ad Blue NOX cleaner system is problematic on some of these 2011 on T3 TDI's and expensive to diagnose and change.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Its really good

by Hodag from Las Cruces NM | October 8, 2012

Purchased based on fit, finish and comfort. Good cargo space, travel with 2 adult bikes in back. Like exterior design basic good appearance. Had to work at getting vehicle with stuff I did not want sensors, gps, the extra electronics. In the end very satisfied

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Pretty good ride

by Oatimus from New Orleans | October 1, 2012

I've had an American SUV in the past, and while it had power and comfort, the driving experience was lacking. Not so with the Touareg. It gives a good level of road feel and confidence, with enough power to feel the push, while comfortable. The handling is very good. I come out of a G35 coupe, looking for something that would hold more than two adults without a chiropractor on call, and I am very satisfied with the performance and road feel of the Touareg. The creature comforts are nice, and easy to use. The automatic trans is smooth, although I have to learn to anticipate a little downshift lag on corners (first automatic in 15 years). The only gripe I have is that the seating position buttons, where you can preset three seating positions, is right where I put my hand to open the door, so sometimes the seat is moving while I try to get out.

touareg TDI

by UTAJW from Indiana | September 11, 2012

Too early to tell all, but after all the research I did prior to purchase,and the many cars I sat in to check for fit, I would have to say that bordering on 300 lbs, this was a very comfortable driving position and access was a especially easy. Hope to reply after more experience is gained.

Impressed but skeptical too

by New TDI Owner from Perkasie, Pa | September 2, 2012

This is my first ever diesel SUV so I don't know exactly what to expect coming from a 2002 Yukon Denali. I loved my Denali but gas mileage and lack of style change caused me to change. I tow a 7,000 lb boat so towing capacity was also important. I haven't towed the boat yet as it's only 2 months new but 2 jet skis is a piece of cake. I had an engine light at 2500 miles which was an EGR valve and the back-up camera is poor. The clarity is lacking and a white line appears on the touch screen when backing into the sun. The interior is very nice and comfortable but I wish the back seats folded flat or folded up. The exterior is nice and the ride (Exec) is a bit firm but nothing to complain about as it feels more like a sports car. Gas mileage is about 28 mpg on the highway (70 mph) and about 22-25 around town or towing about 3,000 lbs. Very impressed with the power of the TDI with normal driving and maybe a little less with towing although acceptable. I do wish it had more horsepower while towing but I understand improvements can be made with after market parts. Although I have already had one problem in two months I remain optimistic on reliability.

reasonabilly priced. fantastic car for the price.

by bebe from canada | August 9, 2012

had it since 2011 put 85000 km on it already! save me tons of money on gas. a lot of power to it!! greatest suv i have ever owned. compare to my 2007 acura mdx, and 04 Benz ML500.

Consider yourself warned

by Big Mistake! from | July 30, 2012

If I could give it a negative I would! There are serious issues with the steering amongst other things. The vehicle has been in for repairs five times and over thirty days already. VW has now taken the defense of ignorance to resolve the issues. VW customer service is rude and refuse to resolve or acknowledge anything! Save yourself a fifty grand headache! This thing has been nothing but one problem after another and none of the issues are getting fixed and we have only had it for a few months.

Best car I've owned

by SUV fan from Jacksonville, FL | May 7, 2012

Great SUV. I bought the TDI and averaging over 27 MPG. Very comfortable and drives awesome! Very spacious interior. I didn't need/want a third row so this was perfect. The main things that I wanted was a SUV, good gas mileage, comfortable, drove great, and was sporty. The Touareg TDI is all of these and more.

AWESOME HANDLING

by VeDubber from Montreal QC Canada | April 9, 2012

The is the best car we have owned!! It was expensive, but it was worth it. I have the TDI 3.0 V6. Take off is good considuring that it was a 2.5 tonne vehicle. The 4MOTION is increadible, with no fault. Can't find many faults anywhere , except front cooled seats would be nice. It is overly fast for our Highways, at 110MPH it feels like 75MPH in our 2008 GMC Acadia. Only gave it 4 stars for reliability because we have not had it long enough to prove it.