2013 Volkswagen Touareg

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Recommend highly...

by Realtor from Santa Fe, NM | March 28, 2014

I am a realtor and so my car is my work life. I have had two Touareg's now and I would consider a third. I am in and out of challenging situations every day including rough terrain and construction sites. If you put Michelin's on this car, the all-wheel drive is incredibly sure-footed. The clearance is high and forgiving and the turning radius at 19.5 feet is incredible. I have maneuvered my way out of many, many tight spots. I had 135,000 miles on my first Touareg and I have 95,000 on my current ride. I've kept up with the maintenance including the drive train, fuel pump and miscellaneous bulbs. But nothing that I would call unreasonable.

2013 VW Toureg

by Value Man from Niskayuna, NY | March 9, 2014

Picked up a new 2013 VW Toureg for the wife recently. Solid German car but I'm having electronic gremlins. Get faults for stability, parking brake and traction every day. Brought it back to dealer, they couldn't find anything so they re set the system. Still doing it, will bring it back ih next week. Hope this isn't an omen.

Loving It

by New Treg Owner from Boston, MA | February 17, 2014

I purchased a gently used 2013 Touareg Lux in black. I shopped for an SUV for months - researching all the top models. I've also owned a Jeep Grand in the past, but the reliability was so bad I couldn't go back. I loved the Cayenne but it was out of my price ranged and not practical enough. Also looked at the Acura MDX and BMW X5. The Touareg had the best blend of performance, luxury, and ruggedness. It drives great the beat up Boston roads and it's very comfortable in all seats - the backseat has tons of room even with the front seats pushed back. It feels very solid driving on all roads, especially highway. I love the high driving position, but it still handles great around corners and off ramps with little body roll. Interior is nice and simple - very intuitive interfaces and the nav is nice too. I appreciate that they let you type in addresses while driving, unlike many other cars (VW just warns you once, and then you can enter destinations). I was apprehensive about the higher price for a VW, but considering the quality and styling, I think it's well worth it! Remains to be see how the maintenance costs are, but I got the dealer to cover all maintenance up to 40k, which was a nice bonus.

LOVE MY TOUAREG!

by Lauren from Chicago | January 15, 2014

My husband and I did a lot of research before buying the Touareg, yes we loved the touareg but had a hard time spending so much money on it, but in the end we decided to go with it and buy a 2013 VW touareg executive, executive gives you so many features, I absolutely love my car, its extremely comfortable, high quality luxury interior , ride is smooth, this car has a lot of power, EVERYTHING about it is great!

Perfect Car

by TDI Fan from Chicago, IL | November 22, 2013

I've put my Touareg Executive to good use with 30K miles in one year. Zero problem so far. It cruises quietly and does everything surprisingly well. At $61K it was a bit steep for a VW, but when choosing between the ML and X5, it was a clear winner. Equally equipped, the ML and X5 would both cost a bit more, and the ML drives like a boat with so-so visibility. The X5 is rough and clunks like an old school diesel, not to mention the terribly outdated interior. I'm sorry that couple people had terrible experience with reliability - I wouldn't defend VW for that but it's a clear hit or miss. I'm lucky to have no problem so far. The only small gripe I have is the trunk size. While it has good size, the shape of the rear glass took out some usable space. I guess it's a trade-off for having a sleek look. I highly recommend it.

I say "Nay, to the naysayers" :)

by Touareg Trumpeter from IN | October 8, 2013

I gave my '13 Touareg Sport a fifth star for value because I purchased it with 20,000m on the odometer, which brought the price down considerably. Only a three star on performance because asking a 4,700 lb. vehicle to 'perform' with 'only' 280hp is asking a bit much. My performance perspective is perhaps skewed by the fact I own a 335is, and a Carrera S. To the gent admonishing the 8speed tranny, I beg your pardon. It shifts smoothly to the point of hardly noticing. There are eight fwd gears FOR A REASON, it is allows for MUCH improved gas mileage, so therefore I am grateful to have it. I have had in my past, a Toyota Land Cruiser, so I have a quality reference point. To that end I can only say I love this SUV. It's understated design is, to my eyes, a thing of beauty. I am quite pleasantly surprised by it's cornering characteristics, given it's onerous, but necessary weight. I am thankful that VW owns Audi and Porsche, as my Touareg shares much of the Q7 and Cayenne's underpinnings, at a fraction of their cost. I could not be happier with my Touareg, and plan on enjoying it for a VERY long time.

Great diesel SUV

by Newyorker from New York City | August 29, 2013

I have 8k miles on it. It handles very well considering its weight (almost 5k lbs). Diesel acceleration is very good with a rewarding growl from the engine. It drives very well at high speed. You feel all the bumps on the road, but I like it better than a cushy ride Benz ML has. A noise started around 7k miles, my dealer detected the problem and right wheel bearing had to be replaced. I would have given it 5 stars otherwise. No problem after the fix.

Electrical problem continue in Touareg

by skidplate from Nova Scotia | August 10, 2013

Nothing but problems with this car, all electrical. Alarm goes off constantly when you lock it. Sensors fail almost monthly at a cost of $2000 to $3000 each to repair. Have no idea why the Germans can not fix these decade long problems. Do not buy one

Great car

by Expert from Miami | June 1, 2013

You will go over 1000 miles with only 1 tank. And there is always plenty of torque. This car has a huge screen and this is perfect for easy navigation.

Buyer beware

by Nick P from Milwaukee, WI | April 5, 2013

Over the last two decades, we we have been fortunate enough to have a variety of SUV's/ cars for personal as well as company use. We liked almost all of them until we bought custom ordered fully loaded VW Touareg. This vehicle has numerous mechanical and electrical problems. To name few of them: Initially navigation system failed.Then Evaporation purge valve failed and was reset. Ended up replacing this purge valve twice. It was freightening while I was driving on the Expressway, I felt vibrations and loud noises under the middle arm rest. This time the propellar shaft was broken and has to be replaced. The cost of repair on the Touareg is beoynd somebody's imagination. Then oil leakage from the oil pan because there were loose bolts and no sealant on them. And now this Touareg requires new water coolant pump. And many more wiring, head light bulb and brake problems. Within a week I am going to dump this vehicle for another reputable SUV.