Positioned atop the VW lineup, the five-seat Touareg competes with luxury crossovers like the Lexus RX, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class and Lincoln MKX. It comes with a choice of three V-6 powertrains: a traditional gas V-6 engine, a turbocharged diesel V-6 or a V-6 gas-electric hybrid system.
(Skip to details on the: Touareg Hybrid, Touareg R-Line)
New for 2014
A new R-Line trim level is available, which is detailed below. In addition, Executive and Lux trim levels get a motion-activated liftgate to make accessing the cargo area easier when your hands are full. A trailer hitch is standard, and most models now have keyless access with push-button start. Executive and hybrid models get a multiview camera system, too.
- LEDs in headlights and taillights
- Chrome door accents
- Stylish tailpipes
- Available leather upholstery
- Sliding and reclining backseat
- 6.5-inch touch-screen stereo
Under the Hood
- 280-horsepower, 3.6-liter gas V-6
- 240-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Gas-engine Touaregs can run on E15 fuel
- Antilock brakes
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability system
- Active front head restraints
The Touareg Hybrid combines a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 gas engine with an electric motor for a combined 380 hp and 428 pounds-feet of torque. Towing capacity is 7,716 pounds — far exceeding what the competing Lexus RX 450h hybrid can accommodate.
- Uses a specialized version of the Touareg's eight-speed automatic
- Hybrid battery pack resides under the cargo floor
- Can stay in electric mode at speeds up to 31 mph
Back to top
The new R-Line adds a performance element to the Touareg lineup. It's based on the Lux trim level and is available with a gas or diesel V-6 engine.
- Sport suspension
- 20-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Exterior cues include unique bumpers, side skirts and R-Line badges
- Cabin features brushed aluminum trim, stainless-steel pedals, a black headliner, unique sill plates and more R-Line badges
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg.