1993 Volvo 240

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great Solid Little Car

by Volvo Lover from Antioch, Ca | May 8, 2013

I own 2 older model Volvos. I own a 1988 240DL. I bought it used. Today, it has 567,000 miles on it. Original paint is beautiful. The car is very solid. Interior is excellant. My main complaint, is the fact that it does not have any cup holders, or much room to place things. It does not have a lot of power, but is very very dependable. The new Volvos are nowhere near as good as this car.

Sturdy and dependable - that's how Betsy rolls

by Betsy's owner from Wichita, KS | February 26, 2011

If you want sturdy, reliable, value retention and don't mind trading all that for minimal comfort & less pep - GREAT car! If you want hot rodding in total plush interior comfort, keep shoppin'. We bought this car to tote kids to & from school and errands around town. Be sure and check that your kids' car seats work in the car before you buy! New locking seatbelts can be installed, but that adds to your initial cost. Because of kid car seat issues, my husband mainly drives the car to work. This car does not have a lot of pep for entering the highways, so it's really best for around town driving. He's also tall, so he's not very comfortable with the legroom and seats. I'm short, so it's fine for me. I'm the frugal one in our family who loves these Volvos, so I don't mind that it's not a particularly plush comfy car. The interior and ride feels a lot like my Jeep Wrangler (1999), and it drives and handles similar to my Wrangler, minus the height and power the jeep had. It does not have a well-lit interior, so I keep a tiny flashlight handy. There are also no cup holders or many places to put stuff. But to me, those comforts were worth trading for dependability and value, as these cars are becoming more and more collectible now. I don't care for the newer Volvos (poor reliability), but these old 240's are overall a fun little car to drive. The 1993 was the last year of the 240, so we felt lucky to find Betsy. I would buy one again, but my husband says he would not.

i love my 240 dl!!!!!

by volvolover from San Diego | June 8, 2010

the best volvo ive ever owned. seriously this volvo has 360,000k and its still running like it did 10 yrs ago. i had never had problems with it in my opinion this is the best car volvo ever made. if you have the chance drive one and see it for your self.

most reliable

by 240classic1993 from CA | March 27, 2010

love my brick! very reliable, just ALWAYS USE VOLVO OEM PARTS, VOLVO BRAND WHEN POSSIBLE, CASTROL GTX, TAKE THE SWAY BARS FROM A EARLY '80S 240 TURBO AND ADD SOME STIFF FRONT SHOCKS AND A VX CAM FROM IPD, SPORT EXHAUST, KEEP IT N/A TURBO TOO MUCH TROUBLE

The Best Tank Ever!!!

by Anni from | January 6, 2010

This the most reliale and safest car I ever owned. Not very fast. Highly reccommend for beginner drivers! I once crashed mine into a Ford SUV, the ford was totaled, mine was fine.

the whip

by warin from CT | June 8, 2009

the volvo 240 was my first car, my family has owned 5 240's overthe years and they have proven to be safe and very reliable, great car maker and one of the best models

Volvo 240

by No Car payment from Mass | August 9, 2006

If you need basic transportation the 240 is good choice. The engine and drive train are very dependable. The 240 has been known to go for about 300,000 miles, try to do that in a domestic car. The 240 does drink more gas than I would like. I average about 26mpg on the highway with my automatic. My Volvo mechanic told me that the manual transmissions in the 240 were no good, my automatic shifts very nice at 150k. It is a heavy safe car that has a smooth ride. There is plenty of space in the trunk and passenger compartment. I don't think styling was on the drawing board when they designed this car. The aerodynamics are very close to a brick, wind noise is present at highway speeds as well. Parts are widely available for this car. Service cost are going to be higher just because it is a Volvo but major repairs can be avoided if normal maintenance is done.

Featured Services for this Volvo 240