1994 Volvo 850

$790–$2,670

Overall

Very good car

by Sam I Am from Spokane, WA | February 4, 2014

I purchased this car new while stationed in Europe in 1994, an 850 Turbo sedan. Ran it hard on the German Autobahn, routinely at 120+ MPH, even hit 151 MPH a time or two with it before the governor kicked in. Later, my wife was in an accident when she was clipped by a drunk driver, car was repaired. Best car I've ever owned, although it has had a few problems. A transmission sensor went bad when my wife spun the wheels trying to get unstuck from a snow drift. We didn't have winter tires at the time. (1996?) Had to replace alternator in 2006, when it went it took the battery and some of the dash LEDs (approx 100,000 miles?) Odometer quit working in 2009 at about 118,000 miles Rear knock sensor went bad, resulting in constant check engine light. Minor oil leak around the turbo. I also replaced the front struts and bearings at some point, but that's normal wear & tear. I hit a deer in 2007, which technically totaled the car. But I kept driving it anyway, and kind of let it go. Due to the odometer, I don't know my exact mileage, but I think it's around 175,000. Unfortunately, I tested the airbags in Nov 2013 by sliding off a gravel road, head-on into a utility pole. They worked, and I walked away with some seat belt bruises and minor abrasions. But now the car is TOTALLY totaled. (RIP, 19 years with one car is a pretty good run, yes?) I have now replaced it with a '97 850 wagon. I only hope it is as good!

I feel in love with this car

by 850flagirl from Central Florida | March 4, 2011

I wasn't too impressed with this car when I bought it 16 years ago to replace a Nissan maxima. BUT, it really grew on me over time and I really hated to give it up. I racked up 184,000 on one engineer and another 100,000 on a used one I bought with 93,000. I LOVED driving this car. It was comfort and fast on the highway. The mileage was decent. It bounced back from a hit. I had to let it go because of mounting repairs that are normal when the Odometer is reading 275,000. I wanted to get a 1998 S70 but give up on that after my husband bought me a 1993 940 Volvo. It had 82,000 miles on it, so we shall see. My mechanic claims he put 300,000 miles on one. I hope to equal that.

1969 Volvo

by shadow06 from Baltimore,MD | September 30, 2009

This car should be classed in "excellent" condition. It's body is spotless, garage kept, and the engine is leak free and well serviced. It has received maintenance from a prominant foreign auto area shop. Lastly, it is a very modern looking model that is SAFE. All of the extras in this "executive" model work and when that Turbo engages you really feel it. To help understand its condition and value, look at the Blue book for a 1994 850 Turbo in excellent condition.

I would buy this car a million times

by only a broken arm from tampa, fl | July 4, 2008

I owned my volvo for less than a year, and loved every minute of it. by far the most comfortable car you will ever sit in! I recently got in a major car accident and learned that if i was in any other car i would have been killed, thank god i was in the volvo. she was however totaled but i am so lucky to be alive and i owe it to this amazing car.

Featured Services for this Volvo 850