1993 Volvo 940

19 city / 23–27 hwy

Overall

My Favorite Car

by VolvoFanatic from St. Louis | February 27, 2013

An accident finally ended my car's 204,000-mile life. I was the 2nd owner of my 940 Turbo wagon, and I drove it over 120,000 miles in 8 years. While expensive to repair, these cars rarely need anything more than routine maintenance. The power train on these cars are virtually indestructible, but I must confess the electrical systems are relatively sub-par. If you ask me, I'd rather depend on my car to drive than heat my seats. As for the design, I think it's truly a smart car: it's compact yet ergonomically sound interior, though a bit tight for taller/larger people, is both elegant and understated. And yes, while the boxy exterior is not for all aesthetic palates, I happen to love it -- it's unique. The only true downside to this car is its performance in the snow. Being rear-wheel drive, there's not a lot of expectations for high performance; however, I found it was exceptionally bad, even compared to other rear-wheel vehicles. In all, this will be remembered as my favorite car. I can't imagine owning another car that will match its value in terms of reliability or character.

Wish I had another just like it

by Fogey Dad from Philadelphia, PA | April 9, 2010

Our 1993 Volvo 940 wagon has been remarkable; it is the best car I have every had for highway driving. Not great acceleration, no cup holders, stodgy styling, but just keeps going without complaint or anything other than routine maintenance. The wonderfully plain, rectangular shape means it can haul all the stuff we take with us on our annual sojourn to Maine and still fit all the stuff we acquire when there. I wish I had one for parts as I can't imaging this one will last forever, even though, so far, it is behaving as though it will!

Featured Services for this Volvo 940