We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2009 Volvo C30

2009 Volvo C30
Available in 2 styles:  2009 Volvo C30 2dr Hatchback shown

19 city / 28 hwy

Overall

Great car for my kids

by Colorado GT from Colorado Springs, CO | September 10, 2015

My first experience with owning a Volvo was a 1991 740 I bought for my first two kids to learn to drive in 2001. It had 92K miles and needed some maintenance, but ran well once issues were addressed. Loved that it was under powered (2.0L Straight 4 cylinder) but highly rated for safety. That car served us well until my second child took it to college and we were moving from OH to CO. Thought he needed something more reliable as the 740 had over 170K and was 18 years old when we finally sold it. I loved the look of this car when it came out in 2008 and enjoyed it even more when I had the chance to test drive one. Bought my first 2009, 6-speed manual transmission) for my Son just prior to moving out of state. Got a great deal as the 2010's were coming soon and the dealer wanted to get rid of his 2009's. Unfortunately, I didn't get to drive it much. We comparison shopped it against the Mazda 3 Speed, Audi A3, Mini Cooper, and VW GTi and settled on the Volvo as the best blend of comfort, styling, power, and safety. It served him well for 5 years and 80K miles before he totalled it... ran into the back end of a late model Ford Explorer with chrome bumper. He liked it enough to buy another 2009, this time a low mileage R-Design, and is still driving it with almost 90k miles on it today. I just bought my second 2009 from its original owner with 95K miles. Drove it home 850 miles from Phoenix AZ through the mountains and it was a joy to drive. My wife commented at how confident she was with the responsive turbo easily taking the car up to passing speed when called upon in the mountainous 2-lane roads we traveled through Taos NM and into CO. The steering and suspension remain tight and responsive. It rides comfortably for me at 6'5" and should serve my next two sons well as a safe learning car. Consumer Reports list of cars likely to go 200K miles included Hondas and Toyotas almost exclusively. I think they missed the mark by not including the C30 high on their list.

Excellent Car

by gripdad from West Hills, CA | December 16, 2012

I have owned a 2009 Volvo C30 T5 R Design since new. The car handles great, is comfortable and has a lot of power from the 5 cylinder turbo engine at 238 hp. I average about 28 MPG on mostly highway miles.

Solid Vehicle

by Volvo Lover from Asheville N.C | September 1, 2012

Bought car with 54k , and drives as though it had under 10k on it. No rattles-tight as a drum. Great power and torque. Feels like more than 230h.p. I live in the mountains and the Volvo handles the curves with ease! Best of all-styling. What a head turner. Have gotten more complements on it. Probably the best quality car I have owned!

Looks good and feels good!

by Tino from Kansas City area | May 10, 2011

Everything works well, very nice transmission and clutch, fuel mileage is 25 to 30, very nimble and quick. I have driven my '09 for 15,000 miles with no problems and a lot of pleasure.

Love this car!

by euro only from Cambridge MA | October 25, 2010

We purchased a C30 that a dealer had owned for 1 year. Before purchasing it we considered other European entry-level luxury autos: A3, BMW 1 series, etc. Were coming from a 2005 Volvo V70. Couldn't be happier with the car. Generally get around 25mpg, with almost 30 on highways. It's amazing how much we can fit in it, but it is still small enough to suit our tiny garage and parallel parking. Plus easy to maneuver. Tons of fun to drive but comfortable to ride in as well. Nice work, Volvo!

Exellent car

by nick3 from Tamaqua, pa | October 8, 2010

This car is great! Good looks and great performance. Mileage is dead acurate. If you are conservative and drive mostly highway, you will achieve 29 mpg. If you want to have some fun and drive around town a lot, you will get 22 or less. That's just how it is. This machine has a turbo. So all of you complaining about getting poor gas mileage, take your lead foot off the pedal. More power uses more gas. Deal. Best thing about this car is that they only produce so many for the united states. That means you don't see this car very often on the road. I drove this car over a thousand miles in less than a week. Get this car!

Great Car

by long commuter from King of Prussia, PA | September 21, 2010

I purchased this car new in July of 2009. I currently have just over 20,000 miles on the car. The only problem I had with the car is a bent rim - last winter's storms left many potholes and I slammed in to a few of them. The engine is so quiet and smooth that I find myself forgetting to shift (I have the 6 speed manual). The 5 cyl turbo has tons of torgue from low to high rpms. Get this car on the highway, put it in 3rd gear and it screams. I am averaging 24mpg right now. My commute to work is 30 miles and it takes well over an hour, so I would not call this mixed driving. The best mpg I the car got was 29 and that was on an all highway trip averaging 80 mph. I looked at the GTI, the Mazda 3 and numerous other cars. I was after performance and mpg. The Volvo was the most confortable (I am 6'-4") for me and the best fit. I just wish the engine roared a bit more.

Half of a great car

by Sven from Eastern North America | November 13, 2009

OK, my experiences have been driving 2 C30s as loaners those times that my V70 was in for repairs, but all in all I have very mixed feelings because the C30 seems to be two contradictory vehicles in one. The front half is ALL VOLVO - extremely comfortable seats, large controls, a super sound system, and wrapped in all of the safety features that define the Volvo legend. The two I drove had automatic gearboxes (not my preference) but except for a slight lag when first touching the accelerator they were proverbial pocket rockets that could keep up with just about anything else on the road. Unfortunately my impression of the back half of the car just about negates all the great stuff going on from the front seats forward. Volvo's designers have finally succumbed to the "I'm just so cool I can't stand myself" mindset that's spread throughout the industry. The rear of the car is so heavily tapered that it looks almost like an afterthought. The rear cabin walls are set in a good 8 inches from the lower body and the roofline slopes downward, resulting in a cramped, claustrophobic rear that may be useful only for small children, or maybe medium-sized dogs. The angle of the rear hunchback ... I mean hatchback ... is steep enough to lop a good third off what would otherwise be a reasonable cargo area. And in what I consider to be the most serious deficiency for a supposedly safety-conscious Volvo, the driver's view out of that otherwise wonderful large rear glass is cut in half by intrusions from the rear pillars and head restraints. Volvo made a name for itself by not giving in to fashion trends if it compromised the car. With the C30 it unfortunately looks like they've started to drift.

The C30 Rocks

by Average Ordinary Guy from Cambridge, MA | May 29, 2009

I just bought a 2009 C30 after considering the Mini and GTI. The C30 is a much more elegant car and performance is great. It has a very solid, quiet ride. I haven't put enough miles on to calculate the MPG yet, but it does seem to suck down gas (guestimate is < 20 MPG in mixed driving). The Smiles Per Gallon factor is very high however. There is a blind spot from the door pillar that takes some getting used to. All in all, I am very happy with this car.

True Gem

by just old from Burke, VA | May 19, 2009

Why is Volvo hiding this beauty? Engine is a screamer with the 6spd manual; very nimble - handles like a sports car; solid & smooth ride on the highway with low noise; averaging over 26 mpg in mixed use; comfortable but utilitarian interior; great instrument panel and ergonomics; and the styling is definitely not your standard 4-door blah blah blah. Needs a 4 or 6 CD changer without going totally high end, and lose the $300 customization fee, otherwise this is a real little beauty. Barents Blue is very sophisticated!

Featured Services for this Volvo C30