Volvo took a play out of Mercedes-Benz's book with the entry-level C30 hatchback, which is based on Volvo's compact S40 sedan. It competes with other small, premium cars such as the Volkswagen GTI and Mini Cooper S.
The C30 has two trims: the T5 base model and a top-of-the-line T5 R-Design.
New for 2010
The C30 now provides Bluetooth hands-free connectivity in both trims, as well as a trip computer. Also, the custom-build option for the R-Design models has been discontinued.
The two-door C30 has a large glass hatch in back. Volvo says it lends an open feel to the interior; bystanders can see the center dashboard controls from behind.
The R-Design trim has a different grille and a matte finish on the side mirrors.
- Fog lamps available in option package
Volvo says four adults can fit inside the C30. Rear bucket seats are positioned slightly inward of the front seats, allowing more forward visibility from the backseat. In the front, the dashboard looks much like the S40's, with an ultra-thin center panel incorporating climate and audio controls.
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control and a CD-audio system with an MP3 jack
- Upgraded audio system optional
- Standard trip computer; optional navigation system with real-time traffic data
- Cloth seating standard on T5, leather seating available
- R-Design model has distinct leather trim with embossed R-5 logos
- Rear seat folds forward
- Preferred Package includes power front seats, bi-xenon headlights, and keyless start
Under the Hood
The C30 is powered by a turbocharged, 2.5-liter inline-five-cylinder engine in both trim levels.
- 227 horsepower and 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed manual standard
- Five-speed automatic transmission optional
Safety features include:
- Standard four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard traction control
- Standard electronic stability system
- Optional blind spot warning system
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2010 Volvo C30.