By replacing the previous-generation soft-top C70 with a retractable-hardtop version in 2006, Volvo created what is arguably the best four-season convertible you can buy. Retractable-hardtop models have an inherent advantage in winter climates, and the C70 is one of few with front-wheel drive.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The two-door coupe features rounded corners and headlamps that are a far cry from the boxy Volvos of yore. The powered top stows into the trunk within 30 seconds at the touch of a button. The rear glass window is large, which improves visibility and body rigidity.
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
- Standard power, heated mirrors with memory function and integrated turn signals
- Standard stainless-steel doorsills
- Standard rear window defroster
- Optional headlight washers
- Optional bi-xenon headlights
The C70 seats four adults and features ergonomically shaped front seats. A switch on the backrest of either front seat moves it forward to ease backseat access. Power operation is standard on the driver's seat and optional on the front passenger seat. Cargo space is typically very limited on convertibles when the top is down, but Volvo makes the best of a bad situation with a clever access mechanism that raises the stacked roof panels. Cargo capacity comes in at 12.8 cubic feet with the roof up.
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard leather-wrapped gearshift and steering wheel
- Optional leather seating
- Optional real wood trim
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional 910-watt, 14-speaker Dolby surround-sound system
- Optional navigation system with real-time traffic and satellite radio
- Rear-seat pass-through to trunk
- Keyless start is not a stand-alone option
- Multimedia Package replaces Dynaudio Package
Under the Hood
The C70 has just one engine choice, and the suspension is fully independent and designed for touring; it delivers a comfortable ride.
- 227-horsepower, turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed manual transmission
- Optional five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift functionality
Excellent crash-test ratings have earned the C70 a Top Safety Pick designation from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for front-, side- and rear-impact protection. The C70 is one of few convertible models to provide side curtain airbags; they inflate upward from the doors. For added protection, these airbags deflate slowly in the event of a rollover.
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard active front head restraints
- Standard antilock braking system
- Standard electronic stability and traction control
- Optional rear park assist now a stand-alone option
- Optional blind spot warning system
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers