2000 Volvo S40

21 city / 28 hwy

Overall

Great car! Expensive Parts and Repairs

by NikkiB from Chicago | July 31, 2012

This is a great car for someone who either knows a mechanic or knows a good amount of knowledge about cars. I bought my S40 back in 08. It had 94,000 miles on it. It now has 162,000 miles on it. It is very reliable. Never stopped on me but repairs can be very exhausting. Engine mounts tend to go bad, transmission issues can arise, and emissions are a headache. Shocks and struts go bad pretty quickly as well. My favorite features was all of the bells and whistles in the interior. Power seats, power windows, heated seats, sunroof, arm rest, and leather. One thing I hated the most was the location of the cup holder, in the dash under the radio. The worst cup holder I ever seen.

I am very disappointed...

by yay for nicknames from Otis, OR. | June 19, 2011

I have a green 2000 Volvo S40. We purchased the car in November of 2009. First problem was the balljoints need to be replaced. second problem-the check engine light kept coming on. Now, I've read a few reviews that say that the check engine light coming on isn't uncommon in any volvo, and at first i thought, maybe it's something to do with the emissions, or a dirty gascap, something like that...but recently(2011), it's been coming on more frequently, and now every once and awhile, the car won't start. I 'googled' this problem and found that it might be the 'Neutral safety switch'. It will be paid off in August, and I was thinking about taking it in for the costly repair work, but my mother said, it turned out to be a lemon, and I should trade it in for a newer car with less miles on it. It has 113,000 miles. Really, if it would atleast start every single time, I wouldn't complain, but when you have a job, and you are dependent on a vehicle... If money is not a problem, than by all means, go for it,But make sure you have a few thousand for repair costs just in case. my first car was a 1997 Toyota tercel, which i'm giving to my younger brother. It has 158,000 miles on it, still runs great (though, its not built for speed or power), and has had NO problems. I That is the IDEAL first car. Its simple. no bells/whistle, and will last FOREVER! very dependable. Volvo has style, but not very reliable. I can admit, I was sold on style.

Very reliable and economical Volvo

by Kickdown-169 from Germany | May 13, 2010

Purchased it in 2009 with onle 11.000 miles on it from an older lady, now the S40 has 21000 miles on it and drives great. Very economical and reliable, we did not have any problems with this car. Very safe car! The Volvo S40 is comortable enough for long road trips, the automatic transmission is a bit slow, but very smooth. We also have a Volvo V50 and a S60, we love our Volvos.

What a piece of junk!!!

by Dr. P from | October 28, 2009

This is one car I will never recommend. This was my first and last Volvo. Bought it new. Every thing that can fail will do so in that car. You have to keep changing brake pads all the time. According to Volvo, this is normal. You also have to change the light bulbs every other week!!! I am not kidding. I just stopped changing them, so I can only drive that trash by day. At night I am blind. The sensors need also to be changed regularly, and each time you take that car for service, you end up creating another problem. The paint peels off, the visor does not stay put, the car makes noises like if a ghost lived in it. You get the drift... Stay away from Volvos. I talked to a friend of mine who has one too, and he cannot wait to get rid of it.

Most economic car

by Volvo maniac from Sharpsburg,GA | September 13, 2009

When we moved from Florida to Geaorgia we used a tank and a half of gas eventhough the car was loaded. We recommend this model. Go for it!

Suprise By its performance

by Dan sr. from Bay shore , New york | September 8, 2009

I live in New york My son goe to college in nashville Tn. I drove this car almost 1000 mile in a day . I stop only 3 times for gas when the tank was half full. I was able to pass any tuck if need .I can't beleive how well this car perform going from Ny to Tennasse.

Great Starter Car

by S*A*L* from | July 7, 2009

I've only had my S40 for a few months but I love it. The only REALLY annoying thing is that my dad locked the radio on accident and you have to leave the car running for 2 hours before you can try to reset it...and that's nearly impossible. I feel very safe when I'm driving my Volvo and that's the most important thing to me. Sure the insurance is a bit much, but it's totally worth it! I know I'll be able to trust my car for years to come :)

Affordable Luxury

by Momof2 from Indianapolis, IN | March 5, 2009

This car looks small from the outside but has a very spacious interior. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 6'4" and we can both drive it comfortably. We bought it as a 3rd car, but it's quickly become the favorite. The trunk is HUGE! I love the fact that the seats fold down to allow for even more versatility. Handling and performance are wonderful, but my kids would argue that the sunroof and heated seats are the car's best features. Even though mine was just purchased, and it's got some years on it, this car is beautiful and still turns heads. I'm ready to replace one of the other cars with a newer model!

Good over car

by baseball08' from Maine | March 15, 2008

I myself am also 17 and i've had this car for almost a year now and i like it a lot..unlike other cars i've drivin, the S40 along with any other of vovlo's modles, are a very solid cars and holds the road very well, .. the 1.9L Turbo (160hp) is nice..even though it's not a huge engine..

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Ladinas from nj | December 26, 2007

although wehn my rents first said i was gettin a volvo i was skeptical.. i enjoy everysingle car ride in my volvie!

Featured Services for this Volvo S40