2001 Volvo S40

22 city / 32 hwy

Overall

Love my Volvo S40!

by WickedSusie from Salem, Oregon | March 16, 2014

I bought my S40 new in 2001. It's fast, extremely reliable, leather seats are still in almost 'new' condition. I have (knock on wood) never had a breakdown; always have had regular maintenance, etc done. I used it as a commuter car for the first 4.5-5 years and then retired taking numerous trips with it. I now have 247,000 miles on it with many more to come. I am hoping to drive it for another 5-10 years before putting it out to pasture.

Problems from the Start

by KaitlinC from Boston, MA | December 12, 2013

I had problems before I bought this car, but still went ahead with it because of my desire for a Volvo. That was 9 years and tens of thousands of dollars ago. My car is now about to die, at only 128k miles, and, according to my very trusted mechanic, the S40 is like the unwanted step child of the Volvo family, with the 2001 model being the worst of the worse for reliability. That being said, the Turbo aspect of this car always, always made me very very happy.

Love my Vovlo

by Jen214 from Knoxville, TN | February 16, 2013

I had a red '01 s40 and hit a telephone pole head on. Both airbags deployed and the car was totaled. I, however, was completely unharmed. I purchased another ’01 s40, navy blue this time, and I still love the car. So far, very reliable and very comfortable. This is my 3rd Volvo and probably will not be my last.

I enjoyed the car!!!

by Vick from Nevada | October 14, 2012

I had 2 the same volvo s40 - first 2000, second 2001. I changed the first one for the second for the lower miles. In total i put on these cars about 50k miles and i did enjoyed their performance and reliability. It's turbo makes this car really fast so I could beat standard modification subaru or older version of bmw 3. Safety features - everybody knows volvo for that - no comments!!! From European luxury cars this one is the cheapest in parts, and it actually wasn't giving me problems. Just maintain it on time and it will for sure pay you back!

Great Value for a 10-year-old Car

by 3-Volvo Family from San Jose, CA | January 16, 2012

I recently bought a 2001 Volvo S40 and also have a 2003 S40. These are very safe and comfortable cars for the price, much better value than other sedans in the same range. Volvos do have electrical quirks, but if you keep up with the services, they are very reliable family cars.

Not reliable car

by volvo.................... from phoenix, arizona | January 7, 2012

I bought it used 2007 had 75000 miles run great the first two years after that the shift broke, the power doesn't work the door doesn't open, the antenna doesn't work, it goes on and on......

Least Reliable car I have owned

by Art from Nashville,TN | September 17, 2010

Great car when it is running, fun to drive. However it has a new issue every few months that costs $200-500. Luckily I got a great deal on the car when I bought it.

Volvo S40, a solid car!

by pedromueller from Everett, Washington | May 1, 2010

I've had my 2001 Volvo S40 now for about 6 years and have put almost 100k miles on it, in additon to the 45k it had as a certified used car. It's simply a solid, reliable, fun to drive little european sedan, nothing too fancy, but it does what it does well. It's quite economical and has had very minimal in the way of repair needs -- but beware, most items are going to run 2x or 3x the cost of a "domestic" car, simply because of the name and foreign badge. My next vehicle will probably be another Volvo, probably a V70 R wagon, more room and power is something that one can never have enough of.......

Fast, comfortable, reliable, practicle, artsy

by Volvos40owner from Mercer County, NJ | February 14, 2009

I've owned this car for two years now and have had no major repairs done. Keep in mind I bought the car with 88,000 miles already on it, and the service records only went up to 60,000. I would say my total expenses for keeping the car running for these two years has been less than $600, and that's including some things people wouldn't have done to their cars such as spark plugs, k&n air filter, etc. People who complain that these cars are not reliable simply are not reading their manuals/giving their cars at least some attention. I would say putting in premium gas as you should even with this 4cylinder car ensures that your s40 will run strong and fuel efficient (28mpg +) for a long time....Happy driving!!!

Great things in a small package

by Double Daddy from Rockford, IL | January 13, 2008

I've had the car for 1.5 years now and I still am in love with 3 particular aspects: exterior styling, fuel mileage, and ride/acceleration. There's something about the angles on this car- it manages to be boxy, but still very stylish. On the interior, however, I can't stand the green illuniation on the instruments. The leather is among the nicest I have seen in any car less then $50k. I drive with a very heavy foot and still I get an average of 26.5 mpg with an automatic and a turbo. While its no drag racer, the turbo really keeps things fun as it really is decently quick. I don't know that I ever driven such a small car that felt so solid- it really feels like a tank. On the downside, my only real complaint is that the resale is quite bad. I can't understand why. Despite what you may read on the net, these are generally very reliable cars. Also, I hadn't realized when I purchased the car, but it really is quite small inside. The last couple generations of Honda Civics have larger interiors. Since I've owned it, there have been no reliability issues out of the normal wear & tear items. All things considered, you're not going to find anything this luxurious and yet affordable.

Featured Services for this Volvo S40