2004 Volvo S40

See Photos & Videos

Overall

s-40 Volvo

by norton from columbia, Md | November 23, 2012

Car handles and drives great no problems as of yet at 135,000 miles . Had timing belt replaced as suggested at 120,000 miles . Love the quick acceleration of the 4 cyl turbo and fuel millage 28/35, bought this to replace a Mercury Sable that had tree damage ,Wife loves it.

Love, love, love this car

by W from Great Meadows, NJ | July 10, 2012

I bought my 04 T5 in 2007 pre-owned with 19K on it for a great price. 5 years and 223k later I still love it and is still going strong. Apart from regular maintenance (brakes, tires,oil,etc.) and normal things I have had no real issues with this car. I was lucky to find a great dealer to do service. I'm planning to keep it for a while more and get a new S60 to replace it. I must admit I was a little skeptical in the beginning, but I am definitely happy with my choice.

Volvo S40 2004

by Milton from Ann Arbor, MI | October 20, 2011

I got 177,000 miles out of my volvo s40, a far cry from the 300,000 miles Volvo told me I would get. I spent quite a bit of money maintaining the car. Front seats were very comfortable on long trips. The fuel economy was pretty good, around 27 MPG on the highway and 19 MPG in the city. The turbo is nice for passing on the highway. Overall, not a bad car. I might purchase another Volvo down the road based on my fairly positive experience with the 2004 S40 Volvo.

Still love it

by jtb from Wisconsin | February 14, 2010

I have had good luck with my S40. My only problem has been a passenger side airbag warning, for which it is going into the shop this week. Otherwise, I have put about 35,000 miles on it without a problem. Very reliable. The interior is beautiful. As for the exterior, until the new S60 comes out,this is the best looking Volvo ever built. Some may not find this a high compliment--but I like the looks very much. The 2.4 non-turbo is rather underpowered but I frankly don't need to go fast. My only major complaint is very poor performance on snow--it does great at speed,I have never suffered any loss of control while cruising on snowy streets, but starting and stopping in slippery conditions is quite difficult.

2004 volvo s40

by neveragain from newfoundland | February 3, 2010

brakes repaired at dealer lasted less than 6 months. appears transmission is gone with less than 100000 km BUT no warranty because just over 5 yrs old. 2000 honda accord still works like a charm 1990 toyota camry was running like a charm when I sold it in 2004 message?

Not Worth the Visits to Repair Shop

by kemery from Tacoma, WA | August 13, 2009

I bought the red 2004 T5 Volvo S40 new and have had numerous problems. I love the look and handling of the car but prefer not to see a mechanic on such a regular basis. I had to replace brake pads very early on (compared to my Nissan Altima) and now have headlight issues which even the dealer can't figure out. I'm looking forward to getting rid of it and going back to a Nissan. Luxury cars are over rated.

2004.5 T-5 fast, good looking etc

by multiple volvo owner from Illinois | April 16, 2009

Bought a red T-5 with spoiler, and most options. Car was lots of fun to drive and very few problems. Wish I bought an AWD version. A set of good quality winter tires made up for the lack of AWD. Good seats, car very good for over the road use. I enjoyed it!

A Sad Story

by Disappointed Volvo owner from | February 21, 2009

I love the looks and comfort of this car and still enjoy driving it--when it works. It has been carefully taken care of and has a mileage of only 39 K. But it has had bugs since day 1, which was about 4 1/2 years ago. At first I would occasionally return to my locked, parked car to find that all the windows had opened spontaneously in my absence (usually in a snowstorm). It took the mechanics 2 years to figure that one out. The locking mechanism of the trunk is feeble and produces a message of "trunk unlocked" on my dashboard. It is AWFUL in snow and ice, very skiddy, which is terrible here in Massachusetts. But these faults are as nothing compared to what has happened recently. In the last few weeks, the car wouldn't start at random times, making me best friends with my local AAA guy. The starter wire was replaced by my local Volvo dealer, but then alarming noises and computer messages appeared when I went through a toll booth in New York City, forcing me to leave the car with a Volvo dealer far from home. They replaced the battery at great expense. I made it back to Massachusetts only to find that the car wouldn't start again--and this time it wouldn't release the key, which remains in the ON position. I'm going to have to have it towed back to my local Volvo dealer, whom I visited only 10 days ago. I wish they would keep the darned thing. Never again.

best buy used car

by cupon clipper from chicago | February 2, 2007

Volvo s40 lse pkg is currently one of the best looking under $20,000 cars money can buy, list price when new around $30000.new body style styled for 2004.5 caused this rapid depreciation.when sold as volvo certified warranty is 6yr 100,000 miles bumper to bumper.Shopping for 6yr old volvos i commonly found prices over $10,000. my 3yr old 04 was $17000 , in 3 yrs if valued at or above $10,000 my depreciation will be less than 2500per yr ,not bad try that with other $17000 used certified 3yr old cars.not that it matters leather,moonroof,heated seats,spoliler,29mpg,side air bags, and turbo charged where hard to pass up.

Featured Services for this Volvo S40