2005 Volvo S40

2005 Volvo S40
Available in 3 styles:  2005 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan shown

21 city / 29 hwy

Overall

Thoroughly Satisfying Overall Car For The Money!

by Crazy Swede!!! from Dallas, TX | January 23, 2012

I have an S-40 T5 with a 6-Speed manual transmission with 92k miles on it and the car is still very tight, solid, rattle-free, reliable and surprisingly fun to drive. I have a 50 mile round trip commute each day in Dallas traffic, so the car takes a pounding, but, knock on wood has been a tremendous vehicle overall. For me this car is the perfect balance of class, fun, sportiness, reliability and good gas mileage. The only thing I have had done to the car outside of routine maintainence is have the front shock replaced, which is not too bad. I have owned several other vehicles, but I have kept this car longer than any of them, which for me is a testament to how happy I've been with it. Hopefully the happiness continues because it's paid for!

Just Normal - and very costly

by BMWxPicasso from | October 29, 2011

Let's just say, this car is not affordable to the middle class, unless you have enough money to pay for all the breakdowns every couple of months.

I love this car!

by Monty-volvo s40 from Southern Maryland | October 10, 2011

As the title says I love this car. I have a 2005 manual s40. I've run across a few problems with it which typically would be an easy fix but I live no where near a Volvo dealer to get it worked on. There is a recall on the fuel pump which I believe Volvo is fixing. The control for the a/c and heat are just knobs and the temp is on a display where the cd player is located. There is no aux cord and to replace the center console it'll have to be taken to Volvo like everything else. Only real draw back thus far.

3rd Volvo

by Michael from Atlanta | September 5, 2010

Have the 2004.5 model. Everyone says it is a 2004, but Volvo did a body style change in 2004 - first half of the year the S40 was built in the Netherlands. This car was built at the Ghent factory in Belgium. I had an S40 from The Netherlands(2001 S40), was a completely different car, liked it too, but like this one more. My favorite Volvo was my 1990 240. I love my S40, never had any problems except for the windshield wiper motor that went out when it was under warranty. Had the drive belt replaced recently(put it off for a year). Great car. Would recommend to anyone. Service is less frequent than that of the 240 in the 90s. Most of the time one could just do the oil change and skip the complete service as much more is not entailed in the service schedule.

What's not to love!?

by lovinmycar! from San Luis Obispo, CA | November 19, 2009

I love my 2005 Volvo S40i. I purchased this car used in april 2009 and its the best vehicle i've bought! At first I was attracted by how the car looked. Its comparable to BMW 325, but it costs much less. The gas mileage is great and it turns heads whereever I go. The only thing that is a negative is the key fob (because it does not have an old school key)ignition stopped working and I could not start my car. I had it towed to the nearest dealership and they reset it... at the toon of $650! Besides that i've had no other issues! If your looking for a fun and safe car, (it got me a good discount on insurance since im a female under the age of 25)get to the nearest dealership and get one! happy driving!

S40 T5 AWD - Great Choice!

by With NV from Malvern, PA | January 12, 2009

The S40 has a great exterior look that sets it apart from all the other mainstream vehicles. It especially looks sharp with the sport package options. I have always had people compliment me on how much they like the look of my car. The interior is just as nice to look at, and just as unique. The T5 version has a turbo charged engine that puts out 218 HP. Definitely go with the 6 speed manual, it has a high fun factor. Because this car has a little more of a sport suspension, the ride can get a little bumpy on rough roads, although, you get much better handling for those days you feel a little more adventurous. I have had a few coupes in the past, and really like the small sportier look, but it was always a pain to get bags/boxes in and out of the back seat. The S40 gives you the sporty look in the small package, but it is just big enough to have those extra doors for ease of entrance to the back seat. Mind you, the leg room is definitely not spacious, unless your driver or front passenger is quite short. But, I bought the car for me, not the passengers in the back seat. Standing at a few inches over six feet, I consdier myself a tall guy, and I have no problems with the front seat. The drivers side has a power seat, while both front passengers enjoy a heated seat during the winter months. The stereo is great, and includes a 6-disc changer (although with the advent of the MP3 player, who listens to CD's anymore?). If you go all out (as I did), you can also opt for the Navigation System. It sits above the center console on the dash, and has easy controls at your finger tips on the steering wheel. Now, I have had a few issues with the car in the past 4 years, but they have been easily fixed and covered by the warranty (so, no money out of my pocket). Last year, the diaphragm went (which created a kind of squealing sound like a bad belt). Then there was a turbo sensor in the front that got water logged. And then this past fall, I dropped my key, and it broke. All of these were easily replaced, and were not major issues. And, as I have owned over a dozen cars in the past 10 years, I expect there to be small issues every now and then. Overall, I definitely reccomend this car. It has stylish good looks, the fun factor of a sports coupe, the practicality of a sedan, and the safety of a Volvo.

LOVE!!!!

by mnm0704 from Portland, OR | December 25, 2008

I LOVE my S-40!!! I never thought I would own a Volvo. Untill I was looking at BMW's. I came across a Volvo S-40. I really had my heart set on a 328ci. Untill I drove the S-40 and was sold! I love everything about this car. I have not had any problems with it. And all my friend and family realy like it.It also drives great in the snow. You get a lot for your money. GO DRIVE A VOLVO and see for yourself! Enjoy!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by DJ from Houston,Texas | July 16, 2007

this is a phenomenal car for the price this car is well worth it i'm looking at purchasing one next year and i am just shocked and awed at the performance, the reliability, the gas mileage, the suspension I would recommend this vehicle to any bachelor or bachelorette

I heart Volvo

by Volvo Love from Chicago | June 23, 2007

Great car, great first car. I love this car, it is great, all my friends want one... So easy to get around and decent gas mileage. Good for the environment. It has yellow steal, which makes it a very safe car to drive.

Nothing but problems

by Randy from Maryland | February 9, 2007

I bought my S40 in April of 2005 and since then it's needed a mass air flow sensor, an ignition kit because it wasn't recognizing my key and wouldn't start consistently and some other gasket. And not to mention, my fuel sensor doesn't work properly...sometimes, when I'm running on almost empty, instead of the "low gas" warning light illuminating, the needle goes to half full or 3/4 full, for no reason. The dealership says I have to bring it in when I'm on empty for them to properly diagnose the problem. It's been one problem after another and my 50k warrantly has expired so everything I pay now is out-of-pocket...I'm just so angry and bewildered that a brand new car, known for reliability, has had soo many problems. It's full of standard features, however, the ride is kinda bumpy over rough roads. And the passenger seat is not power nor does the driver's seat have a memory. I wish I had the money to dump it and buy another car because I never know what's going to go wrong w/it next! I guess I should've gone with my 2nd choice when I was making the decision to buy..The Acura TSX!!! So if you buy a new S40, be sure to spend the extra cash and get the extended warranty...you may very well need it.

Featured Services for this Volvo S40