2006 Volvo S40

Available in 3 styles:  2006 Volvo S40 4dr FWD Sedan shown

Overall

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i FWD

by Sophisticated Look from Pennington,NJ | August 9, 2015

Great sound system for a little car. Them high beams lights are amazing. The one driver side rear fog light I never used but it seems like it can be useful. Handles great around corners, little to no body roll. The front narrow seats are supportive. The rain sensing wipers are a plus except for when I'm going into the car wash & forget to turn them off. The small gas tank is perfect because it only takes $25 to fill my car up when gas is at $2.40 a gallon.

electrical check

by s40volvo2006 from reading PA | December 19, 2012

the car is sound and seems reliable, but has many electrical quirks. lack of storage compartments and charging ports

Great Choice

by laurenrene from wethersfield ct | September 30, 2012

When i was looking for a car Volvo was not even in my mind. I always loved the look of the s40, but for some reason when i was looking that car just didn't come to mind. I was looking for a used Audi or Bmw x3.. Then my boyfriend showed me the volvo for sale and i feel in love..I remembered how much i loved the look of it and how reliable everyone i knew said the car was.. We went to the dealer and i was sold..I test drove the car and it was a done deal.. To this day I say how much I love my car..And i've had it now for 7months and its like i just got it yesterday!! A++ great car

Best car that ever found me

by Bratman from Austin, TX | July 22, 2011

I was shopping for a used Audi A4 or BMW 330ci when it happened. I went to a local dealer to test drive a silver/black 330 convertible, and there it was... a silver on black S40 T5 (6-speed fwd). Suffice it to say that I never even drove the BMW. The Volvo was love at first sight. This is one of the most well thought-out, and well engineered cars I've owned. Even after the 'honeymoon' wore off, I have very few, VERY MINOR negative things to say. I could use a bit more storage, navigation, and smaller blind-spots...But this car puts a big goofy grin on my face on a daily basis! It's a blast to drive. Having owned dozens of vehicles, there are few that are such a great balance of sportiness, fun, and practicality (avg 24.5 mpg w/ a heavy foot). You really gotta get one of these!

Sporty, reliable, safe

by volvo fan from Florida | July 21, 2011

I looked at other used cars for my teenagers to drive, but after checking safety ratings kept coming back to volvo. I leased an s70 and s80 in the past, then became a minivan mom when kids became preteens and teens. I drove volvos for their safety and this is my biggest issue with having kids driving. The s40 is not only safe, it has a sporty feel when driving, great pick up, and good tight cornering. The interior is nice, not as blingy as some cars, but more than adequate. Safety- my daughter was in an accident when someone pulled out of a turn lane directly in front of a truck that was parallel to my daughters volvo and she was involved in a 3 car crash. She ended up broad siding the truck that flew into her lane. Airbags deployed, front end crumpled and she and her passenger walked away without a scratch. When the insurance company totaled it, I replaced it with the same yr and model volvo s40. Cars can be replaced...not people. If you want safety, yet a sporty car to run around in, this is it.

sporty and safe

by docmom from Pace,FL | March 29, 2011

Always liked volvo. I have had an S80 7 years ago before moving to a minivan for toting kids around and an S70 before that. Bought an used S40 just over a year ago for my teenagers to drive since I wanted a safe vehicle. Boy am I glad I did. My child was an accident that totaled the vehicle due to airbag deployment and front end damage. Driver and passenger walked away form accident without a scratch and with a few sore muscles on the drivers part. I am looking to replace car with another volvo s40. Great pick up. Comfortable seating in all seats. Arm rest box a little small but dash glove box more than adequate.

Love my car!

by Volvo Gal from | February 2, 2011

I bought my S40 Volvo, three months ago and I love it! The car was well maintained both on the outside and inside. The only thing I would recommend if you want to buy the S40, is buy the Turbo- the functionality is better with the turbo.

great luxury car at a low price

by volvo>bmw from minnesota | July 6, 2010

What an amazing ride! The exterior looks very stylish and sporty. The interior is simple and practical. The "floating" dash gets lots of compliments. I prefer the T-tech seats to leather because they are very comfortable and and are great in both hot and cold weather. The performance is above average. The acceleration is decent in the 2.4i but great in the t5. The handling is fantastic in both. Reliability is outstanding. I have put 67,000 miles on it with no problems. I have only been to the shop for maintaining reasons. This car is much better than my previous 3 series in reliability, safety, and styling.

S40 T5 FWD...Small Car with a Big Engine

by Car Afficionado from Philadelphia, PA | July 22, 2008

I've throughly enjoy driving this car and I have driven many cars before. Handling wise, this car has a very firm and tight feel so it will go where you want it to go. Also, the build quality and interior materials is very good. Acceleration on the T5 is strong especially from stop to go because there is so much low-end torque available. T-Tech seats are firm, supportive, and comfortable especially for long trips. The S40 T5 yields decent gas mileage of 25.0 MPG (50% City/50% Highway) and 28.5 MPG (30% City/70% Highway) on REGULAR unleaded gas (Premium is recommended, but with the gas prices it does not seem compulsory). The only drawback for the car is the center armrest size and leg room in the back seat when the front seats are pushed all the way back. J ust wish there was a little more space. Still, this car is great and has many safety features inherent in Volvo cars.

Headache

by The Professor from Charleston, SC | April 6, 2008

My wife fell in love with the car because of the looks. Unfortunately, looks are the only thing good about the car. We have less than 10,000 miles on car and it has been to the dealership for repairs more than five times. All of the problems appear to be electrical. The power windows, turn signals, and center LCD/control panel have all failed to work at some point. Worse yet, every problem has resulted in multiple trips to the dealer before finally being fixed.

Featured Services for this Volvo S40