Volvo's smallest sedan, the compact S40, comes in 2.4i and T5 R-Design trim levels, the latter offered in all- and front-wheel drive. The S40 and its V50 wagon sister were substantially freshened for 2008. The T5 R-Design gets more power by turbocharging the same inline-five found in the 2.4i. Competitors include the Saab 9-3 and Audi A4.
New for 2010
Volvo not only brought back the five-speed manual transmission, but the automaker also made it standard on the 2.4i trim. A six-speed manual transmission also comes standard on the all-wheel-drive version of the T5 R-Design.
For 2008, the nose and tail were modified, but the overall shape wasn't changed much.
- Standard integrated turn signals
- Standard fog lights
- Standard power, heated mirrors
- Standard 17-inch wheels
- Optional power glass moonroof
- Optional 18-inch aluminum wheels
- Optional bi-xenon headlights with articulating headlamps
The standard upholstery in the five-occupant interior has a slightly coarse, woven feel that's said to be inspired by sportswear. Leather upholstery is available. T5 R-Design trims come with unique leather seating surfaces, aluminum sport pedals, a sport shift knob, and a sport steering wheel. Aluminum trim is standard on both the 2.4i and the T5 R-Design; Nordic Light Oak trim is optional.
The rear seatbacks fold down separately, and the front passenger seat's backrest also folds flat. Passenger volume comes in at 92.5 cubic feet. Cargo volume is a relatively small 12.6 cubic feet.
- Standard locks and windows with express down/up
- Standard leather-wrapped gearshift knob, parking brake and steering wheel
- Standard eight-speaker sound system with six-disc in-dash CD player
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
The S40 comes standard with an inline five-cylinder engine, while the T5 R-Design gets a turbocharged unit. Each trim has its own transmission: the 2.4i sports a five-speed manual with an available automatic, the T5 R-Design makes the five-speed automatic standard with no manual option, and the T5 AWD R-Design model comes standard with a six-speed manual transmission and an optional five-speed automatic.
- 168-horsepower, 2.4-liter five-cylinder with 170 pounds-feet of torque
- 227-hp, turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic, five-speed manual or six-speed manual transmissions, depending on trim model
- Front- or all-wheel drive
- Optional keyless start
Volvos are known for their safety, and the S40 is no different. The car has a long list of standard safety features, including automatic hazard warning lights that turn on when the airbags deploy.
Other safety features include:
- Standard front-, side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with electronic brake-force distribution
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard security system
- Standard immobilizer-encrypted ignition key
- Optional blind spot warning system
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2010 Volvo S40.