Volvo's smallest sedan, the compact S40, comes in T5 and T5 R-Design trim levels. Competitors include the Saab 9-3 and Audi A4. The less-powerful "i" version has been dropped for 2011, so the only engine is the 227-horsepower inline-five-cylinder engine of the T5 models.
New for 2011
All-wheel drive and manual transmissions are notable deletions for 2011. Volvo also makes some options standalone, such as rear park assist and Keyless Drive, so you don't have to buy a bundle of options to get them.
Little has changed on the outside since the 2009 redesign, but Volvo says the 2011 models will get a larger Volvo logo on the grille. Exterior features include:
- Standard integrated turn signals
- Standard fog lights
- Standard power-operated and heated side mirrors
- Standard 17-inch wheels
- Optional power glass moonroof
- Optional 18-inch wheels
- Optional bi-xenon headlights with articulating headlamps
The standard upholstery in the five-occupant interior has a slightly coarse, woven feel that's said to be inspired by sportswear. Leather upholstery is available. T5 R-Design trims come with unique aluminum sport pedals, a sport shift knob and a sport steering wheel. Interior features include:
- Standard locks and windows with express down/up
- Standard eight-speaker sound system with six-disc in-dash CD player
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional navigation system
Under the Hood
Only one engine is available for 2011, and Volvo has dropped manual transmissions from the S40 line. Drivers do have the option of shifting gears through the automatic transmission. All-wheel drive has also been dropped from the S40. Mechanical features include:
- 227-hp, turbocharged 2.5-liter five-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
- Front-wheel drive
- Optional keyless start
Volvos are known for their safety, and the S40 is no different. The car has a long list of standard safety features, including automatic hazard warning lights that turn on when the airbags deploy.
Other safety features include:
- Standard front, side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with electronic brake-force distribution
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard security system
- Optional blind spot warning system
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Volvo S40
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.