2001 Volvo S80

19 city / 26–27 hwy

Overall

Pros and cons

by Teenage driver from Madison, Wi | June 26, 2014

I'm 16 years old and this car is a little iffy. My mom bought this car a couple years ago for a good price with 90,000 on it. In all honesty I thought it was an ugly car to begin with. The car is a big and bulky sedan. When I was able to drive, it definitely changed my mind. Me being a teenager, I like my music loud and go fast. The speakers shocked me. If you're a person that likes bass, consider this car. I was also happy with the speed. It accelerates well and when I went to go test the top speed, it kicked shifted into 5th gear around 95. So if you like to go fast and like your music consider. On the other hand, this car is not durable at all. Even before I started driving my parents were struggling with it and very often. It has major electrical issues with the alternator and it is expensive to fix. Another con is the gas. I have to pay for my own gas and is full tank is gone within a week within a week. But the main reason my parents gave me the car is the safety. I think the car has 12 airbags? I read the owners manual and it is a safe car. You guys probably don't care about the opinion of a 16 year old, but I've been around this car for about 4 years.

high pros, low cons

by a young car fanatic from Chicago, IL | June 4, 2012

we also own a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 and it has served us well. my favorite feature is the 270 hp twin turbo inline 6. what a great power plant that car has. very torque-y (280 foot pounds) very nice on the outside but the inside lacks a premium feel as far as the dash board goes. the seats are some of the best in the business. they are comfortable as can be, really. but the plastics on the dash are somewhat un-premium. none the less, I'd recommend this to a friend if they were considering. however, it is in the shop a decent amount of time. although that could be because of the mileage (95,000) great car! GET THE T6!

Safe, Zippy Car, Painfully Expensive to Maintain!

by 2001 S-80 T-6 from San Diego | February 27, 2011

I have owned this car for seven + years. Thankfully I purchased it certified used with the extended warranty. Easily $8K in warranty repairs from new transmission at 62K (what?! its a Volvo) to $13K in non-warranty repairs. All when commuting an average of 10K per year; its not in the Baja 5000 for Pete sake. How many times do I have to replace the same parts? Engine mounts, bushings, struts, brake pads, ETM? Lovely styling, huge, quiet, comfortable interior, and smooth. Feels (but does not drive) like a tank; solid and safe. Awesome T-6 engine is extra zippy when needed. I LOVE this car, but it hemorrhages money! Better off with a Lexus or Acura for the reliability and similar luxury options.

very comfortable car.

by tina from elmwood park,il | April 13, 2010

I enjoy driving it,you will too.just test it...come and see the car any time after 5 PM during the week and any time on weekends,thank you.

used 01Volvo S-80

by Frank02128 from Boston, Ma | September 18, 2009

I bought my used 01 S-80 from a dealer in 04. The car and dealer is exactly what I expected. It lives up to its reliability and performance. Since I had one brake job and many oil changes. (Normal) This is my second Volvo. First one was a used 4yr old 740-GLE that I had for 14yrs. Thats what made me stay with Volvo. The only work I have done on both cars were just routine. I do definitely recommend the S-80. and the dealers.

More sporty and powerful than previous Volvos

by Flash from Florida | January 9, 2009

I bought mine used in 2005, and it has been very reliable. Lately, a light bulb goes out here and there, and it's similar to solving a mystery to locate which bulb is out. I've punched it up to 96 mph on country roads, among other things, and it can move. This is the most luxurious car I've owned, and I've had quite a few. I'll be sad to give this one up.

Buying this car was the stupidest decision!!!!

by I wish I didn't buy this car! from Seattle, WA | November 24, 2008

Does something not go wrong with the car every time its driven. The car needed a new fuel pump, engine stabilizer bracket, front end alignment, new heat/ac system, new breaks, about 25 new breaklights and taillights, and a new oil pan, and we had car alarm trouble, and we've only had the car for about two and a half years!!!!!!!! I think It's a smooth good looking ride, but a horrible car. It's scary to drive because you always have to worry about what mght break next! Do bot buy this car, I'm telling you right now!!!! it sucks every penny out of you. WAY TOO MANY HEADACHES OVER THIS CAR!!! I don't know whay I bought it. Not a smart decision!

MY MECHANIC SEES ME EVERY MONTH!!

by Merl from Norfolk VA | August 30, 2008

This car has been my worst nightmare. I feel like I’m dating the repair guy, that’s how often I see him. Every month it’s something else. There is always a message. Needs bulbs more often than my home does. The electric system fails. Sometimes I’m driving and the sun roof just opens, even in winter. I have had the transmission rebuilt The engine runs loud when air and heat is used. Leg room is at a minimum in back I own a 2001 Ford Windstar mini van I bought it used in 2003. Use it to lug kids , church stuff, and drive it more than the Volvo. I have only had to do routine maintenance and replace a battery. Not as pretty but more reliablility , better on gas no headaches. I would love to sell but nobody wants to buy.

Volvo's aren't as good as people think they are

by Jeep Lover from Seattle, WA | April 14, 2008

We have a 2001 S80, the engine runs loud at an idol. The suspension EXTREMELY stiff, this isn't the best touring car. The car is TERRIBLE in the snow too. However, it does offer many likeable features at a great price. I would suggest getting an S80 that is a 2004 or newer. This looks like a good size car, but really, there is no leg room at all in the back seat and i am only 5'6". There are many annoying things about the car like a wierd squeak when we go over bumps. Also, when you turn on the AC or heat, the blower motor makes a wierd rumbling, growling sound. It does the same in friends S80. When the AC or heat is on high, the air whistles as it comes out of the vent. It does the same thing in my friends S80. The car also blows breaklights every 2 or 3 times we take it out. My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is way better than this car for sure!!!

piece of garbage

by bflo from RI | December 3, 2007

say any trouble and i've had it. lights, brake lights, abs system, throttle, brakes,e tc etc u name it ive fixed it on this car

Featured Services for this Volvo S80