2008 Volvo S80

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Comfort, performance, snow handling - V8

by Mountain driving from Estes Park, CO | March 19, 2012

I live in the mountains of Colorado and encounter snow driving many months out of the year. I wanted a comfortable car that got good gas mileage, was safe to drive and handled well in snow. This car fit the bill. I am very impressed. I had back surgery many years ago and comfort of a vehicle is important for me. This is by far the most comfortable car I have owned. It drives great on the mountain twisty roads and has great acceleration. 25.5 MPG - highway, 21.5 - mixed mountain driving. Only complaint would be stiff ride, but that may be a function of the tires I have on it (Eagle F1, 18 inch rims - but they sure handle snow well and grip the road really well). Haven't owned car long enough to rate reliability. Car has 3C chassis, but I find I keep it in comfort mode almost all the time. Heated seats (4 seats) are wonderful.

Volvo S80

by tracyfsu from Tallahassee, Fl | February 14, 2012

The most comfortable car I have ever driven. The performance of the twin turbo is outstanding. The ride is quiet and super smooth. The braking is very responsive and smooth.

Most Comfortable Car I've Owned

by NewtoVolvo from Troy, Michigan | November 2, 2010

I bought my S80 used with about 10,000 miles on it. I really love it for its comfort and interior styling. I don't drive much, about 25-30 miles a day. I am very happy with my choice. I have had Mercedes, Lexus, and Accura before but never enjoyed them as much.

A LOT of car for the money

by mitch 2008 volvo s80 from nashville, tn | October 19, 2010

found car on cars.com. had previously owned a 940. the 940 was really stiff, and didnt ride well, but man, it was reliable. the volvo s-80 is smooth, fast, quiet. all in all an exceptional value. we shopped mercedez e350, infiniti g35, and lexus e350. this car puts those to shame in its performance and feel. the seats in the volvo are extraordinary in their comfort. if you have never given this car a look i would encourage you to do so. BTW...i am averaging 26 mpg after 2500 miles of use.

2008 Volvo S80 T6

by Winfred from Detroit | July 10, 2010

I would start by saying i am Volvo biased having owned a 2000 C70, 2 S60's 2002 & 2006 T5's, 2008 S40 T5 for 4mths , i hated that car, 2 XC90's 2004 2.5 AWD & 2008 3.2 AWD, the wife drives a 2010 XC60 T6 AWD. I traded the 2008 XC90 3.2 for a preowned 2008 black on black S80 T6 AWD and i am in heaven! Its like night & day coming out of the 3.2 XC90. Interior is laid out perfectly and whoever thinks the exterior is ugly or boring needs thier eyes checked. Acceleration is perfect, i am not scared to merge into freeway traffic, "was scared with the XC90". Also love the keyless start, doesnt have a USB jack or bluetooth but that fine cause it has the Sirius radio which is enough for me. I love it!

S80 T6: A surprisingly nice car

by im4nits from Westborough, MA | May 2, 2010

My wife is a Volvo devotee for over 20 years. We are into buying low-mileage used cars that still have new car warranty coverage. Though I got her to at least look at Mercedes and BMW, we came back to and purchased at 2008 S80 T6 with 24K miles about a month ago. We got a superb deal from a national rental company and are very pleased with the car. It is exceptionally comfortable and well-appointed for the cost. My only complaint is the lack of standard bluetooth. Given Volvo's fanaticism about safety, this is a really curious and annyoing omission. But everything else about the S80 is exceptional. I really love the Blindspot Information System (BLIS) when driving the interstates. It's a great vehicle for long trips.

This is European folks

by Long time German car owner from Los Angeles, CA | March 17, 2010

My wife likes to say that people who don't buy European cars have not driven them. I have to agree. She knows this because she used to own Japanese cars. Then got a Volvo 850GLT Wagon after driving my BMW 5 series. Back then though, I would not have prefered a Volvo over a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. Her next car is this one, the '08 S80. This is a VERY nice car! Plus, even with all the options she got, it was still much cheaper than a 5 series, etc. In fact, given the options she got, it was about the same price as a 3 series BMW, etc. I bought an 09 A4 and paid a few thousand more! What you lose buying this car over the German cars is performance and road feel. The S80 is a very nice car to drive, comfortable, and has the power when you need it. I am a sportier driver, and I pay the premium to get what I require. I'm admittedly in a smaller percentage of the public though. If you don't find yourself punching it at every light (almost) and weaving through traffic because its fun (I know, you hate guys like me, sorry, can't help it), then you don't need to spend the extra money for the German cars. This car is more reliable, more comfortable, and more economical. For most, it just wouldn't make sense to buy anything else. We're buying out our lease. It's that good.

I Bought It

by Pointer from Grosse Pointe, MI | January 15, 2010

I've been on the leasing train for many years; had an Infinity, BMW and several Volvos among others. The lease on my latest Volvo, a 2008 S80 3.2, was about to terminate and as I have enjoyed it so much that for the first time in many years I decided to buy out the lease and keep the car. I think that alone is a rousing compliment. You read some complaints about the exterior styling, but I find it to be subtley elegant. The interior is absolutely first rate in my book. I have the smaller engine, but it's quite sufficient for my driving needs (although I will agree with comments that it is probably not as sporty as say an A6 or 535). After two years, I have had zero problems with the car. I believe the car is a fine value and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

great value luxury sedan

by Birdman from Bay Area | November 3, 2008

I've now driven almost 7000 miles with my S80 V8. No mechanical or other problems. Sound of the V8 is great, very civil background roar without getting obnoxious. Milage isn't so bad, with average driving (city and commute), I get 24mpg highway and 18mpg real average. Don't agree the body styling is boring. The old S80 was pretty boring but the 2007 & up model has a nice refined look, to my taste. (In general, all the Japanese competitors are REALLY ugly ;-) Only consideration to take is that the S80 is more a luxury sedan than a sports sedan like a A6 or 5-series. Ride could be a bit more stiff and direct. But it certainly isn't bad, considering that I drive it (boringly) at 65mph cruise controle highway commute anyhow. I also considered the A6 3.2 and the 528, but even with the V8 and almost all options (navigation, rear seat entertainment, premium sound, the works), the invoice price of the S80 was $12,000 less than a loaded A6 or BMW. My perception of the overall qualtiy and value of the car (first 7000 miles) is great.

Best Value

by Volvo fan from Orange County, CA | July 8, 2008

I purchased the 2008 T6 trim and I would have to say that I am completely in love with this vehicle. I previously drove BMWs(328, X5) but once I got into this Volvo, I am never going back. I compared the T6 with the BMW 5 series and the Volvo beat it hands down, both in performance and price. I saved almost $10K with all the great optional features! Best car for your money..and don't forget, its the safest car out there.