Touting "Scandinavian luxury" as its defining attribute, the flagship sedan combines traditional Volvo lines with high-tech safety features typical of the brand. The S80 comes in 3.2, T6 and V8 trims. All-wheel drive is also available. Competitors include the BMW 528, Audi A6 and Saab 9-5.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
Volvo says Scandinavian luxury is accessible, elegant and intelligent without being elitist. Volvo has shaken the boxy look it made famous by giving the S80 a curvier, sleeker appearance with a slightly sportier profile, yet still an unmistakably Volvo design. Exterior dimensions come in at 191.0 inches long and 73.3 inches wide. That's about on par with the 528, but the A6 is longer and the 9-5 is slimmer.
- Available 17- or 18-inch alloy wheels
- Standard power, heated mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Optional heated windshield-washer nozzles
- Optional headlight washer
- Optional xenon headlights with articulating lenses
The S80's center controls sit on a thin metal panel pioneered in the S40 compact sedan. Luxurious touches include standard real wood trim with an optional wood steering wheel, optional massaging front seats and a rear refrigerator with two crystal glasses. The back bench has a standard 60/40-split folding function for increased cargo capacity. Passenger volume comes in at 97.7 cubic feet. Cargo space is 14.9 cubic feet, which is more than the 528 and 9-5 but lags behind the A6.
- Standard leather steering wheel, shifter, brake handle and seating upholstery
- Standard wireless phone connectivity
- Optional moonroof and dual-zone automatic climate control
- Optional heated front and rear seats
- Optional upgraded Dynaudio sound system
- Optional dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system (screens integrated into headrests)
- Optional navigation system with real-time traffic controls
Under the Hood
The S80 is the first Volvo sedan with an available V-8 engine. The Volvo S80 has a turbocharged six-cylinder in the T6 trim, which sits between the base six-cylinder and the top-of-the-line V8 trim level. All three engines use a six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift functionality. All-wheel drive is standard with the V-8 and turbo six-cylinder; the base six-cylinder gets front-wheel drive.
- 235-horsepower, 3.2-liter six-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- 281-hp, 3.0-liter twin-turbo six-cylinder with 295 pounds-feet of torque
- 311-hp, 4.4-liter V-8 with 325 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Front- or all-wheel drive
In addition to the standard safety features, available safety features include a blind spot warning system, which checks adjacent lanes for unnoticed cars, and a collision warning system that monitors the speed of traffic ahead and warns drivers of impending rear-end collisions.
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with hydraulic brake assist
- Optional adaptive cruise control
- Optional lane departure warning system
- Optional park assist and parking-assistance camera
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2010 Volvo S80.