2000 Volvo V40

See Photos & Videos

Overall

good car

by seattleoldguy from seattle | January 3, 2013

I bought mine new in 2000, only 50,000 miles so far. Great local dealer service, no major problems. I'll keep it for another decade or so.

Love my V40

by VolvoBuddy from Falmouth, Maine | October 29, 2011

Just reviewing cars on line and came across my review from March 2009. At that point my V40 had 122000 miles. Now at 170,000 it is still going strong and much to my delight, my Volvo dealer tells me it's going to keep doing well for at least another 100000. I have kept it well maintained and get an oil change every 5000 -7000 miles. I am averaging 30.8 mpg, and I drive 350-700 miles/week. Last year I had the wheel wells and rocker panels undercoated for rust protection, and had an O2 sensor problem fixed a couple years ago. I really needed the dealer to solve that problem, but no other mechanical problems other than regular maintenance. I have now owned this V40 for 7 years and (only)because of the amount of driving that I do am now looking for an even more fuel efficient vehicle. Overall, this has been a really great car for my driving purposes.

volvos are underated.

by supra torque from | August 25, 2009

the 2000 volvo v40 1.9t is a beatuful automobile. for the price, it is difficult to find a vehicle with the same amount of quality. (for the year 2000). the car is a very pleasent ride with many features you could have fun with. for example, lots of people dont know that this car has a 2.0L turbocharged engine, and the "sports" button exploits that beatufly. the car also includes traction control, whips computer system, anti-lock brakes, and many other safety features all summing up to a four star crash test rating. (us) i never get tired of driving my volvo. sometimes i even drive for no reason....just to drive. i highly recomend this car. its relaible, luxerious yet sporty, and best of all, safe.

My favorite car

by VolvoBuddy from Falmouth, Maine | March 16, 2009

I bought my Volvo V40 used 4 years ago. On the highway I average close to 30 mpg, especially when ethanol is not in the gas. Other than regular tune ups I have I replaced the timing belt, brakes, coils; I also replaced oil with synthetic oil. Overall, this has been and excellent car for both long and short trips. I can even tow a small wagon behind with the trailer hitch, and carry two sea kayaks on the roof. Going strong at 122,000 miles.

6 years, a mere 21K miles, and 3 grand in repairs

by Bonnie from Berwyn, IL | November 8, 2006

I contributed the first review for this vehicle on this site. I can now update that when I brought my car into the dealership this morning for a check engine light and scraping sound in the brakes, they quoted me well over $3,000 in repairs. To be fair, this figure counted an oil change and tune-up (which I did not have done). This car has just 21,000 miles on it and should not be falling apart. I have replaced brake pads twice, only to be hit with the dreaded ($600) "metal on metal" situation. (And no, I didn't ignore warning signs. The scraping came from nowhere and I made an appointment forthwith.) The little check engine light came to $388. I declined several of the services they offered and the absolute necessities came to $1800. Ka-ching! I had no choice but there is no way I am paying for a supposedly premium brand name ever again.

Nice car with a few problems

by Bonnie from Chicago area | May 10, 2006

An attractive small wagon (comparable to the Jetta wagon) big enough to seat my tall husband comfortably and fit a bicycle or cello when the back seat's down. I can't rate handling as this is the only car I've owned, but people say it doesn't have fast pickup. I only average 3,000 miles per year so haven't had major problems, but several annoying things have popped up. 3 tires gave out within two years. The tailgate latch breaks constantly so you have to use the key to unlock it. They fix it and it never stays fixed, the dealership blames me for supposedly slamming the door. Break pads frequently wear down but when they're fresh the car performs very securely on snow, ice, etc. It can get out of my unplowed alley in up to about 5 inches of snow but I don't attempt deeper snow after getting it stuck a couple times. Very minor problem: if you're hauling something that requires the tailgate be open, there is no ring or hook to tie the tailgate down. Odd, coming from the same people who founded IKEA, and for a car featured carrying stuff home in a recent catalog!

SUPER/DEPENDABLE

by SATISFIED OWNER from PENNSYLVANIA | May 9, 2006

This is the first volvo i owned and i couldn't be more pleased.this car never fails to start and has been safe and dependable. The ride is extremely comfortable. The rear seats fold down for additional storage space which has been a valuable feature for me. I would highly recommend this model.

Featured Services for this Volvo V40