2006 Volvo V50

Available in 3 styles:  2006 Volvo V50 4dr FWD Station Wagon shown

Overall

Great Small Family Wagon

by Grand Enigma from NJ | November 27, 2012

This has been my daily driver for 100,000+ miles and I must say I could not be happier. It is a very comfortable, safe and extremely reliable car. I have not had to have the vehicle in for anything more than routine maintenance. The T5 AWD trim is very responsive and shore footed in all weather conditions. You will be hard pressed to find another AWD wagon in this class that has the comfort, style, and fuel economy of this vehicle. I highly recommend the Volvo V50 T5 AWD based on my years and miles of happy and trouble free ownership.

RED DEVIL DOG HAULER

by ScreenScribe from Los Angeles, CA | July 18, 2008

I found this 2006 model languishing on a California lot in 2007. Lucky for me, most prospective V50 buyers weren't interested in a family wagon that was fire engine red; had the six speed manual tranny from the awesome S60"R" models; slightly lowered sport suspension; 200+ horse T5 engine and AWD . But for a guy who's second car is a Porsche 911 and refuses to accept maturity gracefully, it was the perfect car! This little red devil had actually been the display car at the Ford Factory in Dearborn, Michigan so it had every available luxury option (heated seats, sunroof, upgraded stereo etc.). When the dealership offered me a ridiculously good deal , I didn't hesitate. . I had owned a 2001 V70, and while I found it to be well constructed and safe, it was dull as dishwater to drive. This V50 is a whole different animal. About as good as it gets when striking a balance between luxury, utility and sportiness. It is extremely stable and predictable, even at high speeds. The steering is a little heavier (which I prefer) and therefore demands a more input from the driver than an Audi or BMW, but the handling limits of this car are VERY high. The turbo charged engine has very little lag and loads of torque. There's very little understeer due to the AWD. The car feels nimble, tossable. You don't don't just drive in the V50, you "maraud". It's too tempting NOT to test this cars limits. The shifter is excellent and the clutch very light. Even in the worst LA traffic, I never get that crampy feeling in my clutch foot. A little practical touch that shows you how well Volvo knows their customers: you can basically roll to a complete stop before you need to depress the clutch and keep the car from stalling. So even in bumper to bumper traffic, you don't need to constantliy shift. You can nearly run the car down to 0 MPH before you must push in the clutch. Build quality is outstanding. Cabin ergonomics are excellent. While many German sedans have become busy looking and hard on the eyes, Volvo design elements are iconically Swedish with a subdued elegance. Sporty and attractive, not nouveau rich-y "look at me! look at me!". No, it's not a Porsche, but I can't fit my three year old and two Weimaraners in the back of a 911 either.

Volvo got in over their head

by Sports Car Enthusiast from New Jersey, NJ | June 8, 2007

The torque from the engine and the mpg are great. Starter went at 38k miles. I've had it in for numerous "software upgrades". I feel like a beta software tester. Radio stopped working, car only blowing hot air even when AC is on, software upgrades. Air bag warning light, back to the dealer to have it reset. Put anything on the passenger seat like for example a gym bag and the car warns me for ~10 minutes to put my seat belt on. In numerous times for that and it's still not right.

eye catching alternative to A4 or Outback

by Volvo convert from Fairbanks, AK | December 7, 2006

I considered the Audi A4 and Outback XT wagon but settled on the Volvo V50 T5 AWD. The Audi dealer was so rude and didnt think I was serious that I ended up leaving after a brief chaparoned test drive. The Subaru, compared to the V50 felt downright clunky, big (but it was fast) and gimmicky in its controls. The V50 is fast, surefooted and has great interior and exterior asthetics. You see lots of A4s and Outbacks but I hardly ever see a V50 so I feel like I stand out a bit. Its a fun car and thus far its been bulletproof. The gas mileage is great, advertised at 28mpg/hwy but the computer tells me I get 30-33 on the highway and even 28 when driving hard on twisty mountain roads. The center console combines all controls in a very easy to use and intuitive package. I would recommend the 6 speed manual, its fluid and falls into each gear effortlessly, not to mention making use of the turbo 2.5L 5 cyl to its fullest.

Featured Services for this Volvo V50