1998 Volvo V70

Available in 7 styles:  V70 4dr Wagon shown
$831–$5,731

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Just as good as I had hoped.

by Long time Volvo family. from North Dakota | January 13, 2014

I've owned Volvo for a long time now and started with a S70 which I still own and have put over 140k miles on. It currently has over 230,000 and drives better than most new cars. I fully intend to easily surpass 300k and keep right on going. The high ownership costs have been completely missed by me as both of my Volvos have been very trouble free other than routine maintenance and of course tires. I purchased the V70xc as a vehicle for my wife to use but I must admit that I love driving it as well. It has been a pleasure to own and has also been very trouble free. I think that the S80 has averaged slightly more miles between tire changes and likely will continue the trend. The V70xc has been fantastic on the winter roads and unstoppable with a set of studded snow tires. This thing is a beast in snow and will easily walk off and leave my 4x4 pickup that is many times as expensive and twice as heavy in snow and ice. I am sure that the high expenses encountered by some are legitimate and i have seen many instances where things would have cost significantly more for routine things had i taken it to a dealer. But i maintain all of my vehicles myself and compared to my BMW and my several American vehicles these cars have been a breeze to maintain. I look forward to eventually passing these fine cars on to my children.

Best car for the money if you do your research!

by Now a Volvo fan from Nashville, TN | February 19, 2013

I picked up a '98 V70 GLT with over 250,000 miles for my kid for $2500 with a newly rebuilt Turbo. It had a fabulous leather interior that looked like a car with 50k miles. I ended up driving it as my everyday car. I was really nervous about the miles, but other than the ignition key lock going out, which had to be replaced by the dealer for $450, it has been a great car for nearly 30,000 miles, and like another review said, it has been super easy to work on. Anything you don't know you can find on the internet. The power windows went out - $90 for a used master switch, the flashers went out - $15 for a used flasher, and both installed in 5 minutes with NO tools! I did my own major tune up for the first time in 30 years and enjoyed it! Other problems have been easy to solve with some shopping and research. I got a full brake job including rotors for less than $200. I probably could have done it myself even cheaper, and a radiator on line only cost $119 + an hour labor with my local mechanic. The clutch on the A/C compressor started to give out, so I found a solution on the internet that was easy and free, if not permanent, but it is still working. Same with the flakey ABS. I did not realize the real value of a Volvo until I was rear-ended at a stoplight by a full sized car doing 50+ MPH who's driver was texting and never looked up or braked. His car was totaled, the passenger went to the hospital, and I only had a crumpled bumper and a slight warping of the quarter panel on one side. The collision did not even crack a tail light, and most important, we were unharmed! This is a superbly built car that is so simple to work on and understand, and cheap to own if you avoid the dealer. It has plenty of power, a smooth and comfortable ride, prestige and a fantastic sound system. I will definitely buy another one if I ever wear this one out!

Amazing and FAST!

by I LOVE my V70! from Michigan | April 26, 2012

Great vehicle. Safe, and fast. Gas mileage should have been a lot better. Cuts through snow like a hot knife thru butter! Repairs are expensive but at least I don't worry with a car payment every month. I love the legendary Volvo history that is tied to this car!

Great Older Wagon

by Multi-Mark Owner from Scituate, RI | October 4, 2011

Bought this car with 155,000 miles on it. The car seemed to be well cared for and the dealer I bought it from did do a fair amount of work to make it reliable and the purchase price reflected that work. I have put on 3000 trouble-free miles on the car and find it to be one of the better cars I've owned. Although initially reluctant to get this car, high mileage, AWD and a Turbo I find my fears are so far unfounded. I've done some "work" on it myself, couple of burnt out bulbs, Tranny fluid change, angle gear fluid change and an oil change and have found the car to be easy to work on. There's an awful lot of Internet based support for this car and I expect it will be in my posession for many years to come. Very comfortable, great A/C and sound system. The wagon has the utility of an SUV without the soccer mom appearance. 24.8 MPG avg since I began tracking. Runs best on mid-grade to premium fuel. Will run of regular but decreased performance. I' be getting another of these soon. 95-97 850 or another 98 V70.

My Dream Car

by Titansuzi from Storrs, CT | September 19, 2009

I've always wanted a black V70 5 speed manual. I just picked one up, unbelievable! The car has 231000 miles on it and it runs and drives better than some new cars I've test driven! Performance and handling is pleasantly surprising, far better what one might expect out of a soccer mom mobile! And I'm averaging out 24mpg in mixed driving conditions. I would highly reccomend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a reliable well performing vehicle with tons of space for all your cargo needs!

Work on it

by Red Brick from Michigan | April 1, 2009

This car has changed my life. It has introduced me to the world of DIY!. Truly, I could change the rear rotors and pads if I was struck blind. Have done so over the last eight years many times. Upper rear strut mounts, replaced DYI! Air pump? DYI, went online, found out how to upgrade an air pump off a VW and away you go! I could go on, but seriously I know this car inside and out. Replaced and repaired many apart and have gotten to know many helpful people along the way. If you want to drive and have someone else do the work you will go broke. It's heavy, eats tires and brakes. My wife loves it, feels safe, and it will go through 2 feet of snow and ask for more. So... love, hate, learn, and laugh. Recommend to a friend who likes to work on their own cars and find used parts online.

great car, but not perfect

by Uncle Turbo from Lake Wallenpaupack, PA | October 29, 2007

I have a love/hate thing going with my '98 Volvo Cross Country wagon. I purchased it used in Dec. of '03 with 163K miles on it. The body and interior were in terrific shape and still look very good. The previous owner was a salesman and he turned over a lot of the service records and took the car to Volvo every 5,000 religiously. The records showed a number of significant repairs but primarily excessive brake jobs. Now the car has 198K miles and I have yet to do any brake work. He must have been on the brakes hard a lot! The motor has been great, lots of power and does not use excessive oil between changes. The transmission shifts perfectly and no problems. Yet when things do go wrong this is one expensive Volvo to repair. A new fuel pump was $1,000! With over 160K miles I was not surprised by a lot of front suspension repairs due to wear and tear, but still $2,000! The fuel guage stopped working and to repair it the estimate is $1,200 because this car has 2 fuel tanks. So I just fill the tank every 300 miles regardless of what the guage reads. The power window driver's side stopped working. A new switch took care of it, but it was $250. This is an expensive car to keep on the road. Yet in the winter this is simply an awesome car! With 4 snow tires AWD, Traction Control, and ABS it will go anywhere regardless of snow depth. It is super comfortable on long trips. Being a wagon it is a very practical "hauler" for everything from my snow blower, to building materials. It seems to run great for a year or so and then one of those repairs comes along that makes me wonder should I put more money in this thing? But the new Volvo's are not signifantly better or more comfortable and a new one cost $500 to 600 every month for years before you really own it. So another $1,000 looks more rational when compared to $500 every month! So my Volvo remains on the road. Today it is running great, but I know that a brake job is looming. If you get a kick out of keeping a car running past 200K miles perhaps you should get one of these Volvos. I expect mine will look great and run great as long as I am willing to spend about $1,500 to 2,000 a year on repairs.

Consistant with quality of other Volvos I've owned

by Real Estate Salesman from Minneapolis | June 27, 2007

No comparrison - far better, than ANY Mazda, Honda, Infiniti, Acura or Nissan I've owned. Corners tight, most comfort hands down, no cooling and water pump issues such as those found in my Hondas, no engine failue, trany malfunctions or multiple axel replacement common in the Mazda Millenia, 626 and Mazda 6 that I just dumped for a new Volvo. Should have stuck with Volvo. I am happy with the new features of the new 80 and will continue to buy Volvo. Most relaible cars I've ever owned. 30,000 to 50,000 hard driven miles a year - the the Japanese cars don't even come close to holding up... also recommend GM 3800's.

Performance and Safety

by The Volvo Guy from Pennsylvania, PA | June 25, 2007

The 1998 Volvo V70 T5 is an absolutely amazing car. It is fun to drive, practical, fuel efficient, and safe. I average over 20mpg in city driving. I get over 26 on the highway. The V70 T5 has 2.3 turbocharged 5 cylinder that produces 236 horsepower at 5100rpm and 243 ft. lbs of torque at only 2700rpm. It is a rocket. The 0-60 time is just 6.9 seconds with the automatic! The top speed is over 150mph. There is some turbo lag, because it has a "high pressure" turbo (12 psi of boost). This one in particular has a 4 speed automatic with sport, economy, and winter modes. It feels somewhat ordinary in economy mode. In sport mode it is a different car. It down shifts more often and holds the gears longer. The engine has a wonderful sound especially at high rpms (4500 to 6200). The interior is very nice. Overall it is a great car.

Featured Services for this Volvo V70