2001 Volvo V70

2001 Volvo V70
Available in 6 styles:  2001 Volvo V70 4dr Station Wagon shown

Overall

Fine in some areas, so so in others

by Outback Jack from Lake Tahoe, NV | June 30, 2014

I've always driven full sized American cars so I am right at home in this relatively large, heavy car. High speed handling on corners is quite weak; comparable to a 1987 Monte Carlo. Handling in snow and on ice is impressive (despite the jive talk about its viscous coupling AWD -vs- the later Jetrag AWD). I've driven through TWO big blizzards without a hitch in this car! Caveat, this car is relatively high maintenance so dealer servicing will be pricey (not as pricey as Mercedes service). If you aren't afraid to wrench on your own car the maintenance isn't hard to do, in my opinion, for a newer car. Be aware of potential transmission issues and keep the transmission fluid CLEAN to help prevent the dreaded transmission failure.

The best car ever!

by Asen from Chicago, IL | November 21, 2013

Great car. When I bought the car had 140000, three years later It has 180000 miles on it and still runs without a problem.

depends witch engine you chose

by pontiac from RI | June 27, 2012

The first thing is the engine the 2.4 turbo is not good unfortunately this is the engine I'm writing about the turbo hose came lose 2 times and makes it sound bad and synthitic oil is needed. but its not a bad engine if you an extremely careful driver. This car is brillant all side from the turbo version. Such as very nice styleing (yes it is a wagon) luxrieus leather. but I'm just warning you never buy a Turbo Volvo wangon engine. But I love this car such as I love Volvo's Saloons and Coupe's!

Fun to drive

by FIG from Dallas TX | April 17, 2012

Volvo's are fun to drive with some performace models that are extreamly fast and still give good fuel mileage. They are expensive to maintain unless you do the work yourself

250k Miles and still running

by v70 from Colchester, CT | December 9, 2011

I purchased my 2001 V70 from a dealer with 20k miles on it; 10 years later it has 250k miles. I have a snow tire/rim package and with just the the front wheel drive it is unstoppable in the winter. It goes well and is stable at all speeds. Repairs are pricey and a local import mechanic is a MUST for any Volvo owner(30% + less than the dealer). More usable space than a SUV, better handling and even with 250K on it, I still can average 23-24 MPG; 27 MPG if it's all highway.

Let me tell you about my 2001 Volvo V70 T5...

by Brian R from San Diego, CA | September 24, 2011

Right off: When buying an older Volvo (older than 5 years), you need to go in knowing that you'll probably be sinking a bit of money into the vehicle. Within the first month of owning mine (I've had it for six months now) I had to replace the rear liftgate struts (2x $20, did it myself), had to have the oil pump replaced ($800, had the mech replace it), and just last week replaced the tires ($800, Eagle GTs work great!). I know in the pipe I need to replace suspension parts ($1600 - Yikes!). Also, especially with the '01 and '02 V70s you need to watch your transmission and make sure you don't start slipping. That'll be about $2000 to repair/replace. But honestly, for what I paid, I got a good deal, even with the ongoing maintenance. If you treat it well, it'll love you in return multiple times. She's spunky and I've spanked more than my share of rice rockets at stoplights with it. :) At purchase: 112,000 miles. Little bumps and scrapes on the bumper covers, clearcoat fade on the driver's side. $5200. Currently: 118,000 miles.

Great all around volvo

by ghjf from colorado | March 3, 2011

good used car for the money but be prepared to pay for repairs and maintience. i would recoommend thic car to everbody who can afford it but im better than you so hah

Uses car for Off-roading

my V70 T5

by volvo lover from north hollywood, Ca | February 9, 2011

I've had my Volvo V70 T5 for about 3 months now and so far there's really not much I dislike about the car, about the only thing I can think of on the negative side is the mileage it gets. I'm getting around 18-20 miles per gallon around the city which isn't bad but thought it would be better. Otherwise I love the car, very sporty look and style and performance. It's probably the most comfortable car I have ever owned the seats are well taken care of leather quite cozy on a long drive. Everything in cockpit was well thought out and is in easy reach of the driver, there are even controls for the stereo on the steering wheel as well as the cruise control instruments. The stock sound system is very nice dolby prologic 4 disk changer. It has a nice moonroof that has nicely placed switch for operation. The car is beast as well the turbo kicks in at around 2500 rpm and it is really powerful. It also has the triptronic transmission which gives a nice sports car feel and helps with conservation of fuel. The only thing that gets me nervous about the car is cost of repair, since it's more of a sports car I bought an extended warranty to help defray the costs of repairs, which thankfully I haven't had to use yet.

V70-T5 2011 Terrific car bought used

by gb from Boston, MA | January 6, 2011

Bought this station in 2004 with 32,000. The first few thousand miles have to invest in maintenance; took care of all the usual problems these cars have and folk complain. After that, now is the V70 has been a pleasure to drive, my family loves it. We are Toyota owners too, much more reliable, but comfort, speed, space, etc. etc. is so much better. The heating and AC in the Northeast not comparable to other cars, it's great. The seats, well, the best ever. For long travel it is really fast and very comfortable. With the snow, the snow tires make all the difference, no need for a more expensive cross-country. After all these years, besides the usual exterior scratches, the car looks excellent. Just changed for the first time the battery. Now I am moving abroad and have to sell it, it is too expensive to register and go through the bureaucracy in another country.

Scandinavian comfort and practicality on wheels

by ISOBear in Wilmington Delaware from Wilmington,DE | August 5, 2010

Bought a used 01 V70 T5 with 90 K and in 6 months, already hit 100 K , and man, I am so glad to have another volvo wagon after a couple years apart from the old faithful 740 ! And talk about luxury !!! This car has all the luxury and tons of safety features from all the airbags you can think of to the Dynamic Stability COntrol. I love it. On top of that, being on my feet at work for a good 8 hours shift, I am actually looking forward to drive the volvo and sit in that wide snugg orthopaedically design seat ! Totally relaxing and comfortable. The performance is unbelievable. Yes there s a turbo lag, but once it hits 2500 RPM, watch out for a police patrol cause you easily reach 85+ MPH in no time.It is so nice to have the TURBO and leave that moron who tailgating my car in the dust ! EAT MY VOLVO DUST ! :) It is expensive to maintain BUT it is a VOLVO. All is premium but it has always been like this since i owned the other volvos a while back. Find yourself a good VOLVO Specialist and stay away from the dealer. Maintain the car w/ synthetic oil and the car will serve you well. Oh I also get 26 MPG average on a premium gasoline. The infamous ETM problem can be fixed permanently for around $500.00 so don't that deter u from buying this car.

Featured Services for this Volvo V70