2004 Volvo XC70

2004 Volvo XC70
Available in 1 styles:  2004 Volvo XC70 4dr AWD Station Wagon shown

19 city / 24 hwy

Overall

loving this cat right now

by preppy car enthusiast from dc | December 16, 2012

I really like this car. It has good pickup and rides comfortably. Lots of cargo space and nice amenities like heated power seats, cool moonroof and rich leather interior. Stereo system is good. Me likee!

Beefy Wagon with Power and Style

by Relatively new Volvo Owner from Rockville, MD | November 16, 2011

I've always admired the styling of the Volvo XC70 but it wasn't until I recently purchased a used 2004 model that I understood why Volvo fans keep coming back for more. Make no mistake about it, this is not an underpowered station wagon designed for the grocery store run. It has a 2.5l turbo charged engine that offers plenty of power and even though the car is relatively heavy, it can accelerate like a Porsche when the need arises. If you are used to V8 powered SUVs, then you will love this car. Even though it is a wagon, the tough looking exterior makes it look beefy and therefore, less family hauler'esque. The front skid plate is plastic but a tough plastic at least. The overall build quality is extremely solid with heavy clunking doors and sturdy looking wheels. The long roof rails on top mean you can put anything from 9 bikes (I've actually seen this) to two kayaks and anything in between. The interior space is also impressive with a massive rear area and several hidden compartments. The XC70 drives well but I would not call it a performance car. It feels more like a type of truck with torquey acceleration and somewhat vague steering. It performs best when traveling at speed on a highway or plowing through rain soaked streets. Speaking of which and depending on the model, there is a "w" button on the shifter console that you can press which puts the car in wet and/or snow mode. This means even mashing on the pedal will cause the car to accelerate more slowly and use more of its traction controlled AWD. It's a neat feature. Additionally, my Volvo is loaded so it has all sorts of nifty features such as heated seats, an air filtration system, sunroof, rain sensing wipers (they even detect snow), built-in child booster seats and my favorite; a rear fog light. The stereo is a bit dated and there is no bluetooth but such things are not my highest priority in a used 2004 car. Perhaps the best part of the XC70 is the plush interior. Mine has leather seats and a nice thick telescoping steering wheel which is great for tall people. The trim quality is typical, solid Volvo and still looks good in 2011. There is plenty of room in the back and the rear seats fold flat for large cargo. Overall, I would highly recommend this car. True, maintenance can be pricey but mine is still under it's limited warranty and so far, I have not had any issues. Before buying used, I would make sure the car has had regular service as it does need software updates from time to time and plenty of TLC for the turbo charger. Also, I would recommend buying from a Volvo dealer in order to get roadside assistance and regular maintenance from folks who truly understand Volvos (there seem to be so many references and maintenance updates). This car is a keeper.

There are better values

by R Nelson from Myrtle Beach, SC | September 24, 2011

I purchased this car new and I had no problems until 67,500 miles then "Drive Angle Gear Assembly" had to be replaced. Two weeks later "Blower Motor and Power Stage for Blower Motor" replaced. I like the car but maintenance can be expensive.

Excellent Car

by K Rohr from Allentown, PA | March 4, 2011

I purchased a used 2004 Volvo XC70 in December 2010 and it was the best purchase I have made. It is an excellent car, good on gas for its size, and has plenty of room for two car seats in the back seat. Excellent in bad weather. Love the heated seats! I highly recommend anyone looking into a wagon to check into this model!

Safety Is It's Middle Name

by 1st Time Volvo Owner from Alaska | July 9, 2010

I have owned several vehicles from a Lincoln Continental to a Ford F250 Powerstroke. Volvo has the reputation for safety and I am impressed with our 2004 XC70. The positives are impressive gas mileage for a 4000lb vehicle. Very smooth, classy look. The seats wrap around you and suck you in. It's like a sofa on wheels. We also drive a Subaru Forester, again for known the safety and reliability, but the comfort level is no comparison. The negatives are turbo lag. I replaced to turbo boost valve with a ipd heavy duty valve which brought great life to the vehicle. These are Swedish cars with all the bells and whistles, but EVERYTHING is computer controlled. If you are not under warranty and aren't a back yard mechanic/tinkerer, this may not be the used vehicle for you. As with any car, treat it right, keep up on the maintenance and, as long as it's not a lemon off the line, it will serve you very well.

Super value!

by counselingman88 from Lancaster, PA | September 7, 2009

After purchasing an XC90 a while back my older Ford Taurus was starting to need more and more repairs to keep it functional. Since I depend on my car for my work I needed something that would outlast the payments and provide great dependability so I decided to look for an AWD Volvo. Found a super 2004 pre-owned XC70 and I am nothing less than happy with the purchase. The vehicle is dependable, getting 25+ mph local and comfortable for me or my wife to drive. I highly recommend this vehicle!

Excellent Car for a small family

by Performance, comfort, and security driver from Montreal | October 20, 2008

I love to drive my XC70 because it is smooth at low speed and it has good power (with the turbo) on the highway.

Solid All Purpose Vehicle

by SailorGuy from Easton, MA | November 30, 2007

I drive about 25K per year and have owned my XC for 2 years now. The car delivers a very confident ride, is plenty peppy, handles very well and the seating comfort is legendary. Pirelli tires are grippers and provide a smooth ride; they just don't last that long (about 40K) which I don't find to be a problem since tires are a marginal cost for this type of vehicle. We're a Volvo family having had a couple 240 wagons, a couple V70s and my XC. The XC's engine is a sweet piece of work. BTW, the 2002 V70 we have is also a great touring car and holds the road on high speed turns quite well. Biggest drawback I've found is odd-shaped storage compartments in driver's area and no place to keep a simple thing like a tissue box. I've gotten over that! Great placement of the cupholders, too! I would buy another XC in a heartbeat.

Disappointing, considering Volvo's reputation

by Still looking for the right car from Northern California | June 8, 2007

After researching vehicles for 6 months, I purchased a new '04 XC70. My requirements: comfortable & supportive seats (even on long drives), sporty but professional & classy looks, AWD, safety features, room for kids, dog, camping gear, room to haul "stuff", and plenty of leg & head room (tallest driver = 6'5"). The bonus was that Volvo included 3 years of service coverage when purchasing the car. (Oil changes, tune-ups, etc.) We had never owned a Volvo before, but had friends who have been long-term Volvo families who swear by their reliability, safety, and versatility. Driving is comfortable. Tall drivers can find a comfortable position, with the adjusting seat and telescoping/tilt steering wheel. The rear view mirror blocks the view for tall drivers. Back seat can be folded down without the need to remove headrests, and with the back seat down, the capacity is large. The inside of the cabin could be better on storage compartments, and there aren't good cup holders for back seat passengers. The net between the back seat and the "trunk" area is great - keeps the dog where he should be. I like the mat in the back - one side rubber, and one side carpet, which makes transporting messy items no problem. Gas mileage is so-so around town (16-18 MPG), but I average 23-26 MPG on the freeway. Unfortunately, my '04 XC70 has been problematic since the beginning. For example, in under 5,000 miles, I had to have major engine work done. In under 20,000 miles, the list of things replaced or repaired is lengthy: parts of turbo in engine, lock mechanisms on 3 doors, back shocks & struts, driver's seat, to name just a few. (A few problems were serious safety issues.) Thankfully, all work was under warranty. The car still looks brand new, 3 years and 20,000 miles later. However, before the warranty expires, I will be replacing this vehicle. I will think twice before owning another Volvo in the future.

2004 Volvo XC70 AWD

by Volvo Enthusiast from Chicagoland | July 5, 2006

The Volvo XC70 AWD is the perfect car! It has awesome styling and lines, giving the driver the feeling of driving a sporty sedan. Its comfort and features rank among the top luxury cars, without the pompous image. It drives so smoothly and quietly, and it seals out outside noise to create a relaxing drive, no matter where you go. It has so many practical features, it is ideal for a growing family, long trips, a car full of friends or tons of cargo. No one who drives this car feels let down!

Featured Services for this Volvo XC70