The XC70 is an off-road-themed wagon that caters to family needs. Two integrated, adjustable child booster seats in the second row are available. The five-seat XC70, sold in 3.2 and T6 trim levels, competes with wagons such as the Cadillac CTS, Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Subaru Outback. Front- and all-wheel-drive versions are offered.
New for 2012
Premier, Premier Plus and Platinum trims are new. Premier features include leather seats, a power moonroof, a power front passenger seat, walnut wood trim and dark-tinted rear windows. Premier Plus adds a power liftgate, front and rear parking sensors, an integrated garage door opener, keyless start and power-folding rear head restraints. Platinum tops that with a premium stereo, navigation system and a backup camera. City Safety, which applies the brakes to avoid collisions at less than 19 mph, is a new standard feature, and a pedestrian detection system that can automatically apply the brakes is a new option.
The front of the XC70 features a grille that looks similar to the one on Volvo's XC90 crossover. The nose of the wagon is distinguished by bright fog-light surrounds and dark bumper cladding. The wagon's cladding extends around the lower edge of the XC70's sides and back to the rear bumper, where the XC70 has a flat-black treatment. Ground clearance is 8.3 inches. Exterior features include:
- Available 16-, 17- or 18-inch alloy wheels
- Standard aluminum roof rails
- Standard power-operated and heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals
- Optional power liftgate
- Optional rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Optional bi-xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights with swiveling lenses
The five-seat XC70 has a simple dashboard layout with a thin center panel that houses stereo and climate controls. Stylized trim pieces surround the dashboard air vents and the console gear selector. The rear seats are split 40/20/40, and the outboard ones can be equipped with seat heaters. Heated front seats also are available.
Behind the rear bench, you'll find 33.3 cubic feet of cargo space. With those seats folded, it balloons to 72.1 cubic feet. Interior features include:
- Available leather seats
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control with backseat ventilation on B-pillar
- Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Optional navigation system with real-time traffic info
- Optional premium stereo
- Optional integrated booster seats
Under the Hood
The 3.2 and T6 models use different engines: a 3.2-liter inline-six-cylinder for the former and a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder for the latter. The T6 includes hill descent control, which is designed to keep the XC70's speed at 6 mph when traversing challenging terrain. Mechanical features include:
- 240-horsepower, 3.2-liter six-cylinder with 236 pounds-feet of torque (3.2)
- 300-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder with 325 pounds-feet of torque (T6)
- Six-speed automatic transmission with clutchless-manual mode
Collision warning with automatic braking and a blind spot warning system are two of several safety features available in the XC70. The collision warning alerts the driver if it senses a collision may occur and applies the brakes if the driver doesn't respond. The blind spot system keeps tabs on cars on either side of the XC70. The standard active front head restraints have whiplash-prevention technology designed to cradle front occupants during a rear-impact crash. Other safety features include:
- Standard front-seat side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock brakes with hydraulic brake assist
- Standard electronic stability and traction control
- Standard City Safety with automatic braking
- Optional lane departure warning system
- Optional pedestrian detection with automatic braking
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2012 Volvo XC70.