2013 Volvo XC90
Starting MSRP $39,700–$47,600
The XC90 midsize luxury crossover has seating for up to seven people in three rows and offers a choice of front- or all-wheel drive. Competitors include the Acura MDX and Volkswagen Touareg.
New for 2013
The XC90 gets freshened exterior styling for 2013 with the addition of standard body-colored front and rear bumpers, sills and wheel arches; a silver front bumper bar; and LED daytime running lights and taillights. New standard features include headlight washers and rain-sensing windshield wipers. Meanwhile, the cabin gets white instrument lighting and aluminum inlays.
The XC90 carries Volvo's familiar face — not the previous boxy angles, but the smoother, more modern look that's been present since the early 2000s. The door handles are body-colored, and the side mirrors incorporate turn-signal lights. The roof rails are silver-colored. The R-Design trim changes the look of the grille. Exterior features include:
- Available 18- or 19-inch alloy wheels
- Standard front fog lights
- Standard power-operated heated mirrors
- Standard power moonroof
- Standard headlight washers
- Standard rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Available adaptive xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights
The dashboard and instrument panel dome employ slanted, angular themes. Various console knobs have chrome coverings, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror is standard.
A standard third-row seat allows for a maximum seating capacity of seven, but it's a tight squeeze in back. (Volvo recommends the third row for occupants 5 feet 3 inches or shorter.) A built-in booster seat in the second row adjusts forward up to 12 inches to keep children closer to adults in the front row. The rear seats fold down, as does the front passenger seat. Interior features include:
- Standard leather seats
- Standard automatic dual-zone climate control
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system
- Optional navigation system with real-time traffic info
Under the Hood
The XC90 has one engine and transmission offering but is available with front- or all-wheel drive. The R-Design model gets a sport-tuned suspension with thicker front and rear stabilizer bars and firmer springs and struts. Mechanical features include:
- 240-horsepower, 3.2-liter six-cylinder engine with 236 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission with clutchless-manual mode
The XC90 comes loaded with safety features. One notable feature is standard Roll Stability Control, which attempts to stop a rollover once it has started by cutting torque and applying individual brakes. There's also a lower front cross member that makes for more compatible SUV-to-car impacts. Other safety features include:
- Standard front-seat side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock brakes with brake assist
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Optional blind spot warning system
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Volvo XC90
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.