2014 Volvo XC90

16 city / 23–25 hwy

Overall

My XC90

by amcentee from Syracuse, NY | September 12, 2014

When it was time to pick out a new family car to replace the old Chrysler minivan, I was definitely the most excited. I had begun researching SUVs and found a few that were aesthetically pleasing as well as having a reasonable price. The Volvo XC90 was one that caught my eye, and now after having it for almost two years, I am very satisfied. It has permitted safe and comforting travels throughout the harsh winters of central New York. It is the safest and most tested 7-passanger crossover SUV, so why wouldn’t you want this as the everyday family shuttle? Buyers looking for a mid-sized luxury sports utility vehicle often look past the Volvo XC90. Many critics claim that its engine, handling, and seating do not compare to other vehicles in its class. However, being priced on the more inexpensive half of this luxury class, it offers a great deal of satisfying features. Complete with a six-cylinder engine, it is much less powerful than desired for a luxury vehicle. Personally driving this car, I have noticed that the acceleration is slow and somewhat delayed. Otherwise, the automatic transmission is very smooth. Although the transmission has drawbacks, the breaking system on the vehicle is very reliable creating a sense of comfort. However, the comfort does not carry over to the third row seats of the vehicle. There is very little leg and foot space for taller or larger passengers. Adjusting the second row of seats can modify this, yet it still feels small. The first and second rows of seats are much more comfortable and offer a gracious amount of space. Another area, which is lacking space, is the trunk of the car. Large amounts of cargo will not fit in the 8.8 cubic feet given, but the third row of seats will fold down and create a completely flat surface, giving you a much greater area. Loading cargo into the rear of the car is not as difficult because the tailgate/lift gate feature. The two-piece split opening is very beneficial for individuals loading large amounts or heavy cargo. The XC90 also comes with a roof rack to hold different types of carriers on top of the vehicle. Altogether the Volvo XC90 comes with an adequate amount of space, but still falls short of the other luxury vehicles in its class...

Nice car but some missing features.

by car apperciator from Arizona | June 30, 2014

Nice car but did not include a spare or a donut in case of an emergency flat tire. LX gives you only a regular key.

One of Best Volvos ever, I have 5 currently.

by Steve from Bettendorf, IA | January 7, 2014

I had read several reviews depicting less than satisfactory ride and handling. I think it handles like a dream for a 4WD Suv. Two siblings have Lexus RX330s and my ride is just as good if not better. it handles like an Suv but i expected that. the cabin noise level is less than our other Volvos My three kids and I currently have almost every model except the S30. We bought it after the 2013 model changed so we got a sizable discount. I am extremley pleased with everything thus far. We traded in a 5 year old Xc70 and this drives much quieter and handles as well if not better.

Old School SUV

by Jojolola from New Jersey | November 25, 2013

Some say the XC90 is styling dated - but I think it depends on you point of view. I think the XC90 has a type of timeless exterior look, I looked at the Acura MDX the new Pathfinder, GM products, Jeep and Dodge... I choose the Volvo for the value I received. The SUV drives well and the interior is nicely done... the exterior has a rugged look. I had a hard time with the dual screens in the MDX to much to look at and fiddle with. The XC90 does lack tech features but for fills the basics, SAT radio, iPod integration, BT Audio. I purchased the premium package - and the upgraded leather is very with real wood inlays and the wood steering wheel. MPG isn't to bad I get 22MPG in mixed driving. The XC90 can also tow 5,000lbs with-out an expensive upgrade like the MDX.