A few notable points include the increased reliability of European vehicles, which now match newer domestic models. Also, five-year-old-vehicle reliability scores from Ford, Hyundai and Nissan are virtually tied.
Both facts help validate what many car shoppers are hearing in Ford and Hyundai commercials: That their reliability is better than ever.
While reliability has improved industry-wide, Toyota and Honda continue to dominate Consumer Reports’ “Best of the Best” used-car list.
Below are some CR top picks for used cars (1998-2008):
- Small Cars: Honda Civic, Toyota Echo, Scion xB, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Mazda3, Mazda Protégé, Subaru Impreza
- Family Cars: Honda Accord, Toyota Prius, Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Toyota Camry (except '08 V-6), Subaru Outback (six-cyl.), Nissan Altima
- Minivans: Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey
- Small SUVs: Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester, Mitsubishi Outlander
- Midsize and large SUVs: Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota 4Runner, Infiniti FX35, Acura MDX, Infiniti QX4, Lexus GX, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Tribeca, Nissan Xterra ('05-'08), Toyota Sequoia
How used cars are holding up (Consumer Reports)