As the economy slowly recovers, the last thing anyone wants to deal with is high gas prices. However, unlike the last time gas hit $4, this time around the economy has led to a boom in car sales.
We haven’t seen a dramatic shift in the types of car purchases that we saw in 2008, but gas prices have risen faster than any other time in history.
If you’re shopping for a new car and want something that will cut down your trips to the pump, here’s a list of some of our favorite cars that achieve 35 mpg or higher on the highway.
- 2011 BMW 335d
- 2011 Chevy Cruze: Cars.com Review
- 2012 Fiat 500 (on sale later this spring): Cars.com Review*
- 2011 Ford Fiesta: Cars.com Review
- 2012 Ford Focus (on sale later this month): Cars.com Review*
- 2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid: 2010 Cars.com Review
- 2011 Honda Civic: 2010 Cars.com Review
- 2011 Honda CR-Z: Cars.com Review
- 2011 Honda Fit: 2010 Cars.com Review
- 2011 Hyundai Elantra: Cars.com Review
- 2011 Hyundai Sonata: Cars.com Review
- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid: Cars.com Review
- 2011 Kia Forte: 2010 Cars.com Review
- 2011 Mini Cooper
- 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- 2011 Toyota Prius
- 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI: 2010 Cars.com Review
*For the Fiat 500 and Ford Focus, just one editor has driven each model. While generally positive, the review is just one opinion from our staff.