Vehicles Affected: Approximately 257,500 model-year 2018 BMW 540d sedans; model-year 2018-20 BMW 530i, 540i, M550i, M5, 530e and 530e sedans; model-year 2018-20 BMW X3, X3 M40i and X3 M SUVs; model-year 2019-20 BMW X4, X4 M40i, X4 M, X5, X5 M50i, X6, X6 M50i, X7 and X7 M50i SUVs; model-year 2019-20 BMW 330i, M340i, 740 Le, 740Li, 745Le and 750Li sedans; model-year 2019-20 8 Series and Z4 convertibles and coupes; model-year 2018-19 BMW 640i Gran Turismo coupes and Rolls-Royce Phantom sedans; model-year 2019 BMW M850i Gran Coupe coupes and Rolls-Royce Cullinan SUVs; and model-year 2020 Toyota Supra coupes
The Problem: The backup camera and display settings can be adjusted such that the rearview image is no longer visible and the system will retain that setting the next time the vehicle is placed in Reverse, increasing the risk of a crash.
The Fix: Dealers will update the backup camera software for free.
What Owners Should Do: BMW will begin notifying owners Nov. 19. Owners can call BMW at 800-525-7417, Rolls-Royce at 877-877-3735, Toyota at 888-270-9371, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s vehicle-safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or visit its website to check their vehicle identification number and learn more.
More From Cars.com:
- Recall Basics: Everything You Need to Know
- My Car Is Recalled, But There’s No Fix Yet: What Do I Do?
- Why Can Dealers Sell Used Cars With Unfixed Recalls?
- The 10 Biggest Recalls in 2018
- Recall Recap: The 5 Biggest Recalls in September 2019
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
- Cars.com Aids Parents of Teen Drivers with the Best New Cars and Worry-Free Tech Features to Promote Safe Driving
- Cars.com Appoints New Vice President and General Manager Julie Scott to Drive OEM Partnerships and National Business Growth
- 2019 GMC Canyon Review: Outclassed by Its Competitors
- 2019 Lincoln Nautilus: Everything You Need to Know