The verdict: For 2019, the Prius gains an all-wheel-drive model, making it more versatile in the driving department. In terms of car seats, the hybrid hatchback still excels in room and Latch connection, with ample space for two car seats and easy-access Latch connection.
Does it fit three car seats? No
Take a look at how the Latch system and each car seat scored below in our Car Seat Check of the 2019 Toyota Prius.
Related: Search Car Seat Checks
- Latch: The two sets of lower anchors sit under large upholstery flap. Once the flap is pulled down, they are exposed and easy to use.
- Infant seat: This seat went in easily and our 5-foot-6-inch-tall front passenger had enough legroom.
- Rear-facing convertible: Again, this seat was easy to install, and fit well.
- Forward-facing convertible: Connecting to the lower anchors was easy and, after raising the head restraint, the seat fit well. Although the three top tether anchors are clearly marked on the seatback, the anchors themselves are buried in slits in the seatback carpet, complicating visibility and access.
- Booster: Again, raising the head restraint helped this seat fit well. The car’s short buckle stalks sink into upholstery, making them tough for kids to grasp.
About Cars.com’s Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger, Jennifer Newman and Matt Schmitz are certified child safety seat installation technicians.
For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide Classic Connect 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Marathon convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a shorter passenger. The three child seats are installed in the second row. The booster seat sits behind the driver’s seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.
We also install the forward-facing convertible in the second row’s middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if three car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there’s a third row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible. Learn more about how we conduct our Car Seat Checks.
Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat, and that Latch anchors have a weight limit of 65 pounds, including the weight of the child and the weight of the seat itself.
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
- 2020 Lincoln Aviator Plug-In Hybrid First Drive: Still Getting Its Wings
- 2020 Lincoln Aviator First Drive: A Surprisingly Sporty Luxury SUV
- 10 Biggest News Stories of the Week: Honda CR-V Recall Leaves Subaru Outback Behind
- The Week in Tesla News: Model 3 Air Suspension Suspended, Woman Gets Key Implant, Tesla Fire and More