The verdict: BMW redesigned the 3 Series for 2019 with more technology and luxury features. For 2020 not much has changed, and we found a lot that caregivers of kids who use car seats will like about the sedan’s backseat. For this Car Seat Check, we tested the M340i XDrive sedan.
Does it fit three car seats? No
Take a look at how the Latch system and each car seat scored below in our Car Seat Check of the 2020 BMW 3 Series.
Related: Search Car Seat Checks
- Latch: The two sets of lower anchors sit under hinged covers for easy access and connection. Three top tether anchors sit on the rear shelf. They’re also easy to find and use.
- Infant seat: The seat installed without a problem, and our 5-foot-6-inch front passenger had a comfortable amount of legroom.
- Rear-facing convertible: Another easy install; the front passenger still had enough legroom.
- Forward-facing convertible: After raising the head restraint, this seat fit well. Connection to both seats’ anchors was easy.
- Booster: After raising the head restraint, the booster fit well on the seatback. The buckles are on short stalks flush with the seat bottom cushion. Kids will likely have a tough time grasping them and the booster could slide over them, further complicating access.
About Cars.com’s Car Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger, Jennifer Newman and Matt Schmitz are certified child safety seat installation technicians.
For the Car Seat Check, we use a Graco SnugRide Classic Connect 30 infant-safety seat, a Britax Marathon convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The front seats are adjusted for a 6-foot driver and a shorter passenger. The three child seats are installed in the second row. The booster seat sits behind the driver’s seat, and the infant and convertible seats are installed behind the front passenger seat.
We also install the forward-facing convertible in the second row’s middle seat with the booster and infant seat in the outboard seats to see if three car seats will fit; a child sitting in the booster seat must be able to reach the seat belt buckle. If there’s a third row, we install the booster seat and a forward-facing convertible. Learn more about how we conduct our Car Seat Checks.
Parents should also remember that they can use the Latch system or a seat belt to install a car seat, and that Latch anchors have a weight limit of 65 pounds, including the weight of the child and the weight of the seat itself.
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.