CARS.COM — Going car shopping this weekend? With March Madness in full swing, you may have the dealership all to yourself — though it might also come with a sour spouse who'd rather be parked in front of the TV. (Hey, there's an app for that.) Before all the wheeling and dealing, here's what you need to know:
Related: More Car-Buying News
What car should I buy? That depends on a lot of factors, but our reviews can help. Check out our take on some of the hottest sellers:
- Pickup trucks: Chevrolet Silverado, Ford F-150 or Ram 1500
- SUVs: Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Nissan Rogue, Toyota RAV4
- Family sedans: Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry
- Affordable commuters: Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Chevrolet Cruze
Which cars have the best deals right now? Check out our top deals for March. As always, your discounts may vary, so check with your dealer for specifics.
- Discount-heavy SUVs include the Nissan Murano, Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Patriot.
- If you're shopping family sedans, big incentives exist on the Camry, Altima and Ford Fusion. Or check out the Nissan Maxima, a more-upscale alternative with significant deals this month.
- For something more affordable, compact sedans such as the Corolla and Nissan Sentra have factory incentives, too.
How much can I afford? Read our primer.
Should I finance, lease or pay cash? That depends, but this might help you decide.
Anything I shouldn't do when I'm at the dealer? Yep. Avoid these pitfalls.
Should I get an extended warranty? That depends. Here's what you need to know.
How do I sell or trade in my old car? Learn how to prep your car before you sell it to a dealer, how to trade it in and how to deal with taxes and other considerations. If you still owe money on your old car, read this. Finally, if you want to sell it private party, here's how to create the picture-perfect ad and how to seal the deal.