Cars.com is a leading online destination that helps car shoppers and owners navigate every turn of car ownership. A pioneer in automotive classifieds, the company has evolved into one of the largest digital automotive platforms, guiding over 15 million consumers a month. It is an important and exciting time in our history as we are on the brink of spinning off to become an independent, publicly-traded company this year. And although we have grown to one of the largest and most established tech companies in Chicago, our culture still remains very entrepreneurial, with a focus on innovation, creativity, and being an incubator for strong talent. We are looking for a passionate, collaborative, forward thinking Senior Director, Corporate Communications to join us as we grow and thrive in the next stage of our evolution.
The Sr. Director of Corporate Communications is a key strategic leader responsible for the development, integration, implementation and executive oversight of large-scale internal and external communication strategies to drive the business. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Sr. Director works cross functionally with the marketing leads, and also closely with the CEO and executive team to provide strategic communication counsel and ensure alignment of strategies and plans across the business. In addition, the Sr. Director is responsible for developing and managing a team of internally and externally focused communication professionals.
Position Success Factors:
- Strong business acumen rooted in deep functional communication expertise
- Diverse communications experience including national and field roles in a sales-focused dealer network or franchised organization
- Ability to coach and influence senior leaders
- Strong team leadership skills
- Demonstrated potential for growth
- Develop and lead effective internal and external communication strategies to drive action and accelerate momentum toward business priorities.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and provide subject matter expertise and counsel to senior leaders (CEO, C-Suite).
- Present complex ideas, strategies and results succinctly and persuasively across all levels of the organization.
- Proactively find, tell, and amplify stories that align with the strategic priorities of the business.
- Drive the continuous modernization of content distribution through digital, video, mobile, broadcast, online, print, and in-person channels to encourage meaningful conversations, both internally and externally.
- Build awareness and advocate for the strategic priorities of the Communications department to foster alignment across the business.
- Leverage appropriate brand and industry research to ensure business strategies and programs resonate with and motivate key audiences.
- Seek development opportunities to strengthen individual leadership and counsel.
- Establish and maintain relationships with system stakeholders and influencers, as well as recommend and cultivate key external relationships for senior leaders.
- Serve as key member of the cross-functional marketing leadership team
- Manage the performance, professional development and growth opportunities for direct reports.
- Effectively manage outside agencies/vendors as needed and required.
- Manage department budget and hold team accountable for plans.