Read or write a review.

4.1
Average based on 14 reviews

Just Solid

by from White Plains, NY on November 11, 2008

I bought my MDX with 108K on it. I have had it for 6 months now, and have 115K. This is just an all-around solid vehicle. It's as inoffensive as a vehicle can be. The ride is quite comfortable and yet it handles as well as a sporty car. There's barely any lean on turn, and it simply sticks to the road. The thing that really stands out to me is how well everything works. Well over 100K and the seats are still great, not too mushy. Everything works perfectly. Every button, every lever, everything you touch is solid. Even opening and closing the windows and moonroof is a joy. There is a wonderful solid thud with each window/door/lock and every power option is trust inspiring. Make no mistake, this is not a Bentley, or a Porsche, but it is about as good in every area as a car can be. One note: '01-'02 MDX/Pilot/Odyssey had a tranny problem from design. You can go to Acura's website and enter your vin, and it will tell you if the recall was taken care of. Most had a jet oil kit installed to get fluid to the 2nd gear which was burning out too soon. That being said, 95% of these vehicles have been fine. Most of the others had the trannys replaced under the extended warranty, or quite often Honda has split the cost to install a reman. Your absolute worst case scenario would be a tranny replacement at a cost of roughly $3000. But remember, most MDXs are perfectly fine, and that $3K is mostly already reflected in the resale value. You can pick up a good '01 for about $10K, which is significantly less than you would pay for anything else that would even come close to the quality of this vehicle. Also, it's my experience that Acura/Honda takes great pride in their reliability ratings, and will almost always offer some concession to ensure the owner is satisfied. Buy it, you'll love it.

You cannot go wrong with this SUV!

by from Cleveland, Ohio on January 5, 2010

Great in the snow. Easy to maneuver - tight turning radius, Bose sound system, heated seats, spacious and quiet for long trips or around town. Everything you could want or need in a luxury SUV at a great price!

Never an issue

by from Los Angeles, CA on June 29, 2009

I was never once surprised by a mechanical issue. I replaced items as they were recommended by manufacturer life limit, and I handled the one significant recall item (Tranny, EGR Valve) and sold it only because my needs changed to require a pure truck. Loved the car for 70K miles after buying used at 48K. That third row came in handy a several times. Sorry to see it go.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

most reliable car I've owned

by from Douala - Cameroon on December 9, 2010

I will advice many people to buy acura MDX it is a reliable and comfortable car for family and friend.

Great vehicle for local, highway and off road uses

by from Louisville, KY on October 11, 2008

Just bought mine and got a great deal, 86K miles, near perfect condition and only paid 8K with trade of 1997 Grand Prix with 122,000 miles that was worn out. Feel very forunate to have found this deal...

MDX is a Beast

by from N/A on March 26, 2010

I recently acquired my mother's 2001 Acura MDX. She was the original owner and put 173,000 miles on it. She had very little trouble with it and when I needed a car I was glad she was also in the market. Despite the mileage I am confident this vehicle will serve us well for at least a couple more years. It is extremely versatile and, of course, dependable. The MDX is a bit underpowered and uses a lot of gas. That being said, if you are considering a mid-size luxury or even near luxury SUV You will be hard pressed to match the balance of the Acura MDX.

Great Vehicle

by from on July 8, 2010

Highly recommend the MDX - extremely reliable and well-appointed. Great family vehicle with seven seats. Leather interior, good sound system, lots of room in the back.

Buy a Lexus

by from Chicago, IL on April 4, 2009

If you can get away with the smaller Lexus, do it. The quality diff is huge. From the day I bought my MDX, certified used with 50k, its poor overall quality has been apparent. Dont get me wrong, its not a Ford, but a luxury vehicle its not. A/C was the first to go out, 2 months after buying. Moisture runs in the window shaft during rain, snow, or after car wash and then gets the inside of the window wet if you roll the window down, which when in the winter when salt dries inside the window is pretty annoying. Trannie issues, rattling issues, and gas tank clunking. All of which Im told from dealer are "characteristic" of the MDX and there's nothing to be done. Im told these problems were fixed in later model years.

Great vehicle

by from Lynnwood on August 10, 2014

So much hate for an outstading vehicle. I bought my acura mdx when it had 76k miles and after seven years and 130k after. My acura still runs strong, i like it so much that i decided not to buy anything else thats is not an acura. I plan to drive my mdx to the grown and i can say that will get at least 350k miles out of mine.

stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by from ny on October 12, 2010

this particular car is horrendous wasted time going to see it only find out no nav disc the interior is awful and the price is too high....b careful with this one!!!

Our Expert Review: 2001 Acura Mdx