Read or write a review.

3.9
Average based on 16 reviews

A Substantial SUV

by from Chicago, IL on October 19, 2006

I've been driving an X5 for a few weeks now and the first thing that struck me about it was how substantial it is. Heavy doors. high-effort and purposful controls. Accurate but deliberate handling. Gutsy and lovely-sounding V-6. There's a subsystem or adjustment for everything. This car makes my Acura feel like an economy car. When they say German engineering, I get it now. It has less to do with build quaility (like a Toyota) and more to do with servicability, material quality and durability.

2004 BMW X5 4.4i

by from los angeles on June 26, 2010

had this car for 3 years, and all those years prblem free, hands down the best car I have ever owned

2004 x5 4.4i

by from los angeles on June 10, 2010

owned the vehicle for almost 2 years w/o any major issues, drives like a sports car, I loved every single thing about it.

BimmerBummer

by from Palentine on May 16, 2016

Trouble maker... I have had to put money into repairs already and have only owned it for 2 months now. They said "they know BMW's" and I would be happy with my decision to buy. Not a true story.

Love the X5

by from on August 6, 2012

Best car I've ever owned...best of both worlds, utiliitly and performance. Went from Lexus, to Acura, but must say the X5 is the best. Happy owner.

Amazing

by from Chicago, IL on November 5, 2013

Best car ever! This car had 0 problems!!!! Dives like a sports cars and sounds like a beast! People think this car is new!

Sporty performance with decent MPG

by from La Jolla, CA on May 11, 2011

This is my first X5 and I like so far. Much better than my ML 320. Power is excellent , MPG is fair at about 20 overall. Interior is nice and roomy with comfortable seats. I will probably keep this one for awhile if it continues to be dependable.

GREAT Sport Utility!

by from Roswell, GA. on July 7, 2011

This car is like ia like a TANK! No wiggling or wobbling just pure ultimate driving machine like the commercials say! If you want GREAT performaning, solid & BEAUTIFUL car-look no more!!! It's all wrapped up in 1 package in the BMW-X5! I sold my 1st BMW X-5 almost 3 years ago & am SOOOOOO GLAD that I bought another one! Best decision I could have made!

Fast, fun, but skip the sport suspension

by from San Francisco, CA on September 22, 2008

Really a very nice car, but it rides exceedingly stiff with the sport suspension on 19" rims. So skip the sport suspension! Note that I love tighter cars, and have had an M5 and 740 sport..but the X5 is over the top on stiffness with the sport suspension. Also, the panoramic sunroof (the BIG sunroof!) can leak very slightly(ours fixed under warranty) and there is a software upgrade avail. from BMW for a "clunking" transmission (we have a 2004 w/6-spd auto). Aside from that, it's great...fast, great brakes, good sound system, we love the sport seats, the nav is much better than earlier BMW nav systems, the finish is fantastic, etc. Ours has 40K miles on it with very few issues.

X5 is a Timeless Classic

by from Melrose on May 29, 2009

I have owned Audis, Acuras, Saabs and this is my first BMW. I can honestly say there is a reason why this car is more premium in price. While it is expensive it maintains its value being that there is not one cheap part in the entire vehicle. The car operates flawlessly and is the type of car you buy and hold for a long time. I have traditionally changed cars about 2 years. After 18 months the car still feels new and interesting. Reliability excellent and its quality is outstanding. Nothing more to say.

Our Expert Review: 2004 Bmw X 5