1997 Chevy Lumina LS

by from on August 24, 2011

Purchased this car used 10 years ago. It has just under 160,000 miles on her. It is extremely comfortable with lots of front and rear leg room. I take it everywhere, including camping in the mountains along dirt roads. It has been rear ended twice and still going strong. Still drives straight and true. Great performance, great acceleration and gas milage. I get from 29 to 33 miles per gallon highway depending on speed and condtions. I have replaced the serpintine belt, starter and water pump. Other "consumable" items I have replaced include Spark plugs, Spark plug wires, transmission fliud and filter, coolant, battery, tires, fuel filter, head lights, brake lights and other exterior lamps.

mechanics choice

by from Kansas Ctiy, MO on October 14, 2006

Tust me on this one, if the car runs good now and you take care of it, it will run good tomorrow. These cars with the 3.1L are the most reliable well running and affordable vehicles made to date. excellent car!

Unrelenting transportation

by from Minnesota on April 1, 2008

Love this car. 220K and no signs of dieing at all. I have owned this car for nearly 100K of the miles that are on it and have done nothing but regular maintnence and beat on it. The suspension on the LS model is great after some of the shotty factory strut mounts and shocks are replaced. Corners amazingly flat and I actaully have a video of it catching 8-10 inches of air without bottoming out... Starts in -40 zero Minnesota mornings on the first try, and will go through bowtie high drifts with good tires. Only complaints are it chews through tires amazingly fast with aggressive driving and 3 of the 4 drivers seat supports are broken that needs to be replaced. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

What a trooper - GREAT car!

by from Cincinnati, OH on July 12, 2011

I've had Chevy's my whole life, and this one is the most reliable I have ever owned. I bought it at an auction (it was a company car for a local company) and it had 92,000 miles on it. That was 8 years ago. I still own it and drive it EVERY DAY and it has around 168,000 miles on it now...and showing NO signs of slowing down. I've replaced the very basic wear and tear items (alternator, tires, battery) and the most expensive thing I had to do was replace the catalytic converter. Good on gas, starts right up every time, even in winter, good in the snow, comfortable ride...the only downside to this car is the paint job. It is white and the paint started peeling off 4 years ago. I had it repainted and it's happening AGAIN! I'm guessing its something in the primer that is not letting the paint adhere properly. Other than that, I bet this old girl has another 100k miles in her, easy.

Great Car

by from FunkyTown, Tx on May 22, 2007

I love this car, i have never really had trouble with it. only normal oil changes and brakes but i have never had any major problems. its a great car!!

One of the best cars I had

by from Shawnee,OK on February 5, 2012

I had this car for three years!It did not boom out on me.I just wanted something different because I drove it everyday.

Great car

by from on January 17, 2014

Got mine with 224k on it had for about 8 months only had to replace spark pugs on it and i slid into a curb havent done any repairs to it now its got about 250k on it still running like a champ even after all the off roading driving through puddles and going through water that went up to the windows ive put through things a little s10or ranger could only dream of going through never got stuck once and still running great

Great Car

by from San Diego, CA on June 2, 2007

We had the car for 9 years. Gas, Oil, Filters, Tires, Brakes. 167,000 miles and still running strong. I want a new car (but not the payments), but this Chevy just won't die. So I guess l'll have keep driving it.

its a good car but could be better

by from calhoun,georgia on September 30, 2009

the only really bad thing about the car is the handling i mean don't get me wrong i love the performance.it has the power when you need it.

old faithful!

by from maryland on June 18, 2011

LOVE MY OL FAITH.! its the most reliable car among all my family and friends. It's old and falling apart but she's still running and won't give out..I'm NOT complaining but its my 1st and only car and I'd like to see myself in a new one soon. Not until this one gives out tho. I got this car at 69,000 miles. my grandmother gave it to me, she bought it new. Alternator, gas pump, water pump, and wheel bearings are the only things that's been replaced..thus far

Similar Models