2009 Malibu

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

True review

by Iowa Hawkeye from Cedar Rapids, IA on August 10, 2012

I bought my 2009 malibu 3 years ago and generally love the car, however, one major point of dissapointment is the handling in the snow. I live in Iowa and drive 45 highway miles round trip every day to work. This car is terrible handling in snow, even just a little snow or rain. I've bought new tires (which are 17 inch tires and very expensive, something I didn't think about when I purchased the car) and the new tires didn't make a bit of difference. If you don't drive in snow much, this car is great and I love most everything else about it. But I'm looking to trade because I'm tired of not getting around in the winter. Also, gas mileage at the time was rated 28-33 MPG however I have never broke 27 MPG.

typical first year model car problems

by Will A from fort worth, texas on February 5, 2013

I've had my 2009 Malibu 2LT v6 for about 6 months. It's been in the shop 4 times. All the door locks have gone out, seat frame broke(and I only weigh 200 lbs), AC went out, one of the radiator fans went out, the gas fill sensor went out which caused the car to not want to start after fill ups, the car has a constant squeak&rattle from the rear which I was told they may do a recall on but they dont exactly know how to fix it yet. It does have good power, smooth ride, handles nice, and I get compliments on the looks ALL the time, but opt for a year newer or so...maybe the bugs are all worked out on the 2010 and newer ones...maybe.

Does not recommend this car!!

Malibu ready for the SS version

by Doc Edwards from Santa Fe, NM on April 9, 2010

This is the best Malibu GM has produced since the late 60's". Performance, Styling and Reliability are just the beginning of the story. I have over 36000 miles on my 2009 and have enjoyed every mile. Comfort level is great on long or short trips and so is the Performance. Great gas mileage and power when you need it for passing. Handles like a sports car and I would recommend GM bring back the SS version just for the fun of it. The six speed automatic is vary responsive and can only imagine what a six speed standard would do. I would highly recommend this car to my family and friends.

Excellent family car

by Jim from Phila, PA on June 8, 2010

Bought new (LTZ, 6 cylinder, black - black / red int), has approximately 15,000 miles on it - mainly from short distance city driving, etc. The styling is elegant but not old and still sporty at the same time. Gas mileage is decent. The hands free is great, but refuses to work with my phone (junk verizon phone.) Rear visibility is ok, not anything to be overly concerned about. My one TRUE complaint... there should be some sort of locking gas cap or cover offered with the car. Aside from that... I LOVE this car.

Great Car for a good price

by Malibu Momma from Flint, MI on September 24, 2010

I bought my Malibu a couple months ago after trading in my 2005 Trailblazaer. I have 3 children and wanted something better on gas because I drive quite a bit everyday. Although, my Malibu doesn't have the cargo space that my TB did, it is still very roomy. The rear seat is a bit cramped for 3 kids, of which 2 are in car seats, but it drives very smoothly and I really love the overall appearance of my car. So far so good.

Surprise Surprise

by Had no idea from Baltimore, MD on April 28, 2012

I recently financed a preowned Malibu. I had no idea that I would love it so much. I needed a car that gets good gas mpg, and is comfortable. I am 6'6" and have trouble find automobiles that I can fit in, and when I do the vehicle is usually not very good on gas. I was so surprised when I got this Malibu. It handles well and for a four cylinder its got some spunk. I am truly happy about this purchase . Its been awhile since I have had car I was proud to drive.

Great CAR!

by Florida Sheezy from Florida on March 27, 2011

I bought this car and only had for a little over a year. Paid $20K for the fully loaded V6 LTZ, absolutely a beautiful car. I am in my late 20'sand didnt want the mundane look of the everyday sedan. I have to say that Chevy has really impressed me with this design. After 25K miles we sold it for $17K. It was the best car we have owned and I would love another one. Extremely comfortable, roomy, quality interior, very peppy sporty engine. I heard it was the same chasis as the cadillac and I wouldnt doubt it. Excellent safety features and crash test ratings!The only downsides that werent a big deal, but a drawback were: Passenger side mirror doesnt autodim at night, rear window has somewhat of a blindspot, the vanity mirrors werent great. The reason we got rid of it was we have 2 kids now and there is only room for 2 car seats in the back realistically. So we couldnt have any other passengers with us on trips. I recommended it to everyone, even got my mom to buy one. We miss you Malibu!

nice ride, plenty power

by Jimbo from Nashville, Tn on December 13, 2012

Car is tite in curves, very smooth and plenty power. Stylish, very nice on inside and very clean. Really good sound system and features.

chevy malibu

by addicted to cars from md on January 16, 2012

Chevy Malibu is the best car I owned, what should I say about the car let's start from outside what's makes this car to stand out the grill and headlights .and the interior is the best the green light on the door knobs and rear viewing mirror that shines down at night " it makes you to feel like u flying a plane. You should taste car before they go away because they coming out the newer version in 2013 and I don't like it.

Avoid this vehicle!!!

by formerGM owner from on March 28, 2017

I've had 3 recall problems to have fixed. The engine light comes on and off more than my daughters cell phone beeps. Anyone who designs a car, that the average owner can't replace a headlight bulb, is a grade A idiot. How many certified GM mechanics does it take to change a light bulb? Only one, but it takes him over 2 hours and it cost the owner over $130. GM should have to reimburse labor charges for headlight replacement. After all, they did approve the design. You can bet your house that the designer doesn't own/drive one. I will never purchase a GM product again. I'm determined to find out who designed this car. I will unload on the when I do.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7