2017 Malibu Hybrid

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Good replacement for my VW TDI

by SDW from Central, WI on May 7, 2017

I had to sell my VW Jetta TDI back to VW due to the diesel scandal, It was a hard search for a comparable replacement. I settled on the Hybrid Malibu. I purchased a 2016 model year end close out with 11 miles on the odometer in Jan of 2017 (for a really good price). We then drove it straight through from Central WI to Ft Meyers FL. At first I was concerned because it was only showing about 28 MPG on the drive down, I noted that however we were pushing against strong winds in very fast heavy traffic and we were not able to use the batteries much. Once we arrived in Fl much of our driving was in battery (EV) mode and our mileage was showing 62 MPG! On our drive home we were averaging over 42 MPG and that has been our overage over the last 5,000.00 mostly highway miles, it seems to get to get better as time goes by and the computer learns. I have averaged 52 MPG in mixed city / highway miles. This car has all the latest features and basically can almost drive and park itself if you want it to, or you can turn those features off if you prefer. I was also very impressed with the seamless passing speeds and overall performance. I did not expect this type of performance from an electric / Hybrid. That is saying a lot having come from a turbo charged German car. Fit and finish are awesome and the doors have that German car like thud when they shut. Bottom Line I highly recommend this car, if you have the patience to wait for the car to get through learning curve of the computer in the first few thousand miles and the differences of having the engine turn on and off as and when needed, having a car that often drives so quite you have to open the window to warn pedestrians you are moving or hearing the engine roar to life in extreme passing and merging situations (awesome to know its there when you need it) this is the car for you. Also it is identical to the gas Malibu's so almost no ones knows we are driving a Hybrid (full disclosure I am an electronics tech as well as a fairly good Mechanic so I love the way this car merges the two technologies). This drive train is based on the tried and true Chevy volt with many Volts having up to 300,000.00 trouble free miles on them so there is that. Buy it, you won't regret it!

Exceptional Car So Far

by MitchD from on September 5, 2017

Insane gas milage and a lot of fun to drive! Really spacious car, with plenty of room in the back. The safety package is very useful and I find myself taking advantage of all the features. Very comfortable seats and I can definitely go a long way. At nearly 5k miles and I am very happy so far.

Most comfortable ride. Better than MINI and Honda.

by RebeccaK from SC on December 10, 2017

Bought the car due to its excellent gas mileage. Never expected it to also ride as great as it does (comfort and performance), be as quiet as it is, and lookas good or better than a BMW. Def. worth buying!

Nice car But gas mileage has fallen off

by dmlivesay from Flint,mi on September 21, 2017

I like everything about the car but at around 6000 miles the gas mileage dropped about 10% especially on the expressway down to around 36 at 70 mph . In city around town went from close to 50 to around 45 . Have taken to dealer and they said nothing wrong . Other than that a really nice car

Awesome car

by Kaywach from Plymouth, WI on December 26, 2017

Gas mileage is above average. This is a 13 gallon tank that we typically only get 10 or 11 gallons in at the pump, and it always gets us well above 400 miles per trip. Car is sleek and comfortable.

Great gas mileage

by Bhuge from Lincoln Park, Mi on August 30, 2017

I am always skeptical of claims for fuel economy, but the Malibu Hybrid is the real deal. I drove 480 miles on my first tank of gas (putting 10.6 gal in to fill it up). Fuel economy has been great. It's a comfortable car. Has a ton of safety features and was a great price after all the rebates.

Gas mileage has dropped off

by Ace from Mifflintown, PA on April 23, 2018

Chevy Hybrid, Gas Mileage has dropped off, 15% lower than the sticker. Chevy won't admit there is a problem and doesn't stand behind their vehicle. Don't think I will ever buy chevy again.

Does not recommend this car!!

WHITE BU

by BAG1099 from MOBILE, AL on November 3, 2017

I LOVE IT. Its sporty and reliable. This car saves me a lot of gas. This car has a great takeoff and looks good with the tint on the windows.

Great car.

by Ontheroadagain from Lakeland Florida on August 8, 2017

We really like this 2017 Malibu Hybrid. It took us three months to find the one we were looking for. Chevrolet dealers are missing out on a lot of sales by only stocking one or two of these cars. We were surprized that the sales people at every dealer we went to had very little knowledge of what this car can do. They had hundreds of cars, but few if any Hydrids. It's a fact that for a few dollars more you get a car that is well worth the difference in price. We have a 2014 Malibu LTZ and decided to keep it as the dealer would only offer us $10,000 on a trade in, so we can easily compare the two. This hybrid has been averaging 46 mpg from day one. We have taken two long trips and it performs great on the highway with little or no difference than our 2014. Except the 2014 gets 31mpg. It is so quiet you don't know it is running until you really step on the accellerator. You lose quite a bit of trunk space because the batteries are behind the rear seat and there is no donut spare tire. Only a repair inflation kit. The best thing is you don't have to plug it in or try to find a charging station, just put gas in and you're on your way. If you're looking for a vehicle with style, comfort and great mileage for less than $32,000, this Malibu Hybrid should be on your list.

Love Malibu

by Lastson from santee on October 2, 2017

I have driven many hybrid cars, and the Malibu Hybrid is by far the best. Spacious, comfortable and plenty of power.

1 2