2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

Roomy and Sturdy - best of both worlds!

by from Lehigh Valley, PA on July 24, 2017

May not be much to look at, but it sure is handy to have! I like to refer to it as an SUV in car form because of all of the interior space. My husband and I can fit our two children in their carseats in the backseat and we all still have plenty of leg and "wiggle" room. This is a very reliable, family-friendly vehicle.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Chevy is the way to go!

by from Akron,Ohio on July 9, 2017

I was so glad I purchase this vehicle in 2013, I absolutely love this car. It is very reliable and great on gas, I still have it and will continue to drive it until it won't run anymore.

Most reliable car ive owened

by from Gulfport on May 17, 2017

This car met all my needs. Has plenty of legroom in the front and back. Very comfortable on long trips. Good gas saver.

Great Car

by from Miami, FL on March 27, 2017

Great and reliable car. It has over 100,000 mile and I haven't ever had an issue with it. It has been built to last yet really comfortable and spacious.

First new car bought

by from Glenwood Springs, CO on July 31, 2013

My wife decided we needed a new car when our first child was born. Our old SUV was a bit rough! The Maxx has been an excellent choice of style, comfort and practical design! the hatchback and folding seats are a charm. Never seen a simpler, but effective design. Solid interior ready to haul a wide variety of items. Very useful for camping and longer trips. The body style is quite unique and sporty! Also, the mileage is very good. We've had the usual parts to replace (brakes, struts). Handles very well in snowy conditions (we live in high country, Colorado). Overall a very good choice of vehicle. Too bad Chevy decided to phase it out!

Excellent Value for the Money

by from Jamestown, N.C. on November 1, 2011

The remote start is a big plus. In town 24-26 mpg. On the highway 35-37 mpg. Hatch back is very roomy. Comfortable on long trips.

Carries everything!

by from Coneecticut on May 31, 2010

Things we have carried in my Malibu in single trips: -A wheel barrow and a lawnmower and my husband and myself in one trip. -My daughter's entire dorm room furnishings. -My son, his two friends and a surfboard, inside the car. -A futon bed and mattress, coffee tables and my daughter and myself from Ikea. -Two bicycles and a week's worth of beach gear plus my husband and myself. Plus the seats are heated which makes for a comfortable winter. Gas mileage is great. The only thing that seems to be an issue is the brake rotors - they need to be re-machined every 25,000 miles.

The Wagon that doesn't look like a Wagon

by from Central Illinois on May 18, 2010

I've had this car 6 years now and can honestly say this is the best vehicle for me. Maybe it's the fact that there really isn't a comparable vehicle on the market. Prior to purchasing this car I went through 4 compact trucks in 5 years. I can't handle the rough ride of a truck, so I wanted to get a car, but wanted to keep the cargo space of a truck, without the poor gas mileage of a van... Well, you get my drift. All the seats fold down in this car, including the front passenger seat. You can haul 8 foot lumber inside the vehicle and if you don't mind placing one end on the dash near the windshield, you can fit a 10 footer in it. With just the rear seats down, I can fit my XL frame road bike in without taking any wheels off of it. With the seats up, there is plenty of leg and head room for 4 adult males (of the 6-foot 250+ lb. variety.) Yes, I've replaced my share of misc parts on this, but you get that with any vehicle over 6 years. My main ding to the interior design is that the driver's knee area is limited by the console, so my wide open male seating stance is a bit inhibited (compared to bench-seat trucks.) Also, I bought this in May before all the rebates kicked in, so I paid premium (had I waited 30-60 days I could have saved $4,500 in incentives.) But even with that, it's been a solid car. Handles well in ice and snow; you can burn the front tires pretty easily if you hit the gas too quick. I know GM pulled this off the market after only a few years, but I will probably have this thing forever or try to find one of the later model years.

Used at 151k

by from Fargo, ND on May 12, 2010

I recently got my drivers license and went out car shopping. After months of looking I found this car sitting in a line up next to 1-ton trucks. After looking for a truck for awhile, I swallowed my pride and took this 04 Chevy Malibu MAXX out for a test drive. It had 151k on it but only had 1 owner with a clean title. It drove like it just came off the line and it was perfect. I now use it every day and re-fill it about every week. I plan on running this car as far as it will take me, and then some!

Solid Car With a Few Annoyances

by from Hugo, MN on February 18, 2010

I've owned the LT trim level of this car for almost three years now, having bought it with 31k miles. Overall, I'd say GM got this car about 95% right. To state the bad, the real annoyances I've seen have been premature brake rotor warpage and occasional steering shaft clunking. The front brake rotors warp after anywhere between 3k and 15k miles to the point it's bothersome enough for me to replace or turn them (cheap and premium rotors fare about the same). I have yet to replace brake pads. There is also a problem with the intermediate steering column shaft clunking which is treated with a squirt of lubricant in the right place. This takes care of it for 5k-10k miles. Now with the good. The car's drivetrain has been rock solid. 86k miles on the car now and no drivetrain problems at all. I'd have expected a failed fuel pump or water pump by now (considering it's a GM), but nothing yet. The engine has satisfying power with good passing power and feels very peppy and eager to go - it's surprising it has "only" 200hp and can idle up steep hills if coerced. It makes a relatively generic V6 sound. The brake pedal is firm and easy to modulate, and I've never had a problem with stopping distance. The variable electric steering system is very nice, but the car isn't great in a crosswind. Build quality is generally very good, with almost no squeaks or rattles. A rattle from the cowl developed after a new windshield was installed, but that was fixed in about 15 min with some mounting tape. The remote start, auto climate control, heated mirrors and heated seats are great during the MN winters. Traction during the winter is good. The sound system is about as good as it gets at moderate volumes without a subwoofer. Controls are very intuitive, neatly laid out and have a good feel to them. Visibility out of the car is very good (you quickly get used to the D pillars). Headlights are above-average brightness for halogens. The driver's seat is firm and comfortable, but the other seats could use some more lumbar support. The original SE200 tires were comfortable during winter but squealed on cloverleafs - Yokohama Avid T4s grip much better but are bad on rough roads. Fuel economy has averaged about 23-24 winter to 27 summer, with best of 31 and worst of 19-20 (computed by hand - 70/30 hwy/city). The trip computer is about 1.5mpg too optimistic.

Our Expert Review: 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx