1999 Suburban

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Have You Driven the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban?

Suburban from used car dealer

by Used Suburban Buyer from Costa Mesa California on Mon Apr 23 2012

I recently bought a 1999 used suburban from a dealer in Costa Mesa CA. After riding it for a day, my service engine light came on. After showing it to a repair person, I was told that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced. It will cost approx. $1200 to repair. I have a feeling the dealer knew about this. In addition, I mentioned during the test drive that the AC was not working properly, which they told me that a compressor will only cost $200 to replace, estimate I got was $800. Make sure when you buy a vehicle to spend extra on Carfax (dealer showed a different report that did not have repair record). I got the vehicle at a good price (2000) less than market value, but it ended up the same due to repairs. Recommend doing your homework prior to going to the dealer who will say anything to sell you the vehicle. Suburban runs good, but I have a ill feeling about the used car dealer...I guess trust is not one of the values of used car dealers, especially the one I went to.

WILL OUTLAST MOST

by CJCHEVY from ATHENS TN on Tue Apr 08 2008

WE LOVE OURS. THE GAS MILEAGE IS OKAY BUT IT HAS A 44GAL. TANK SO WE CAN GO A LONG TIME BETWEEN FILL UPS. WE HAVE 180,000MILES ON IT AND PLAN ON KEEPING IT ANOTHER 180,000. tHE RIDE IS SMOOTH AND COMFORTABLE. THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. WE HAVE THE 4WD AND LIVING ON THE FARM IT COMES IN HANDY. WHAT PEOPLE NEED TO KEEP IN MIND IS THAT THESE ARE TRUCKS AND THEREFORE HANDLE AS SUCH.

Not a bad car!

by Car Enthusiast from Salem, NH on Sat Jan 05 2008

My 1999 Chevrolet Suburban is a pretty good car. We have had some minor problems with the windows and the door locks. It rides incredibly smooth. IT COSTS A FORTUNE TO FILL THE GAS TANK, ABOUT $115-120!!! It does pretty well on gas for its size though.The interior is a little cheesy with all the plastic, I suggest a 2000 Suburban or newer, thought the '99 model isn't bad. TONS OF CARGO-SPACE!!! Even with the third row of seats up, there is still a full size trunk. It starts a little rough in the winter but runs very, very well. If you have a large family, the Chevrolet Suburban is the ride for you! This is a reliable, great car, you should get one with the 4x4 though for the winter.

Best family vehicle ever made.

by chevy lover from California on Tue Dec 19 2006

Mine has 206K miles and with proper maintainence still runs like a champ. I can pull my travel trailer with no problems and the engine still has 120lbs. compression per cylinder. I have a family of 6 and everyone plus the dog is comfortable. A very comfortable vehicle.

1999 SUBURBAN -

by NEWLY RETIRED from Chicago Suburb, Illinois on Fri Nov 16 2012

We bought our 99 Suburban used after our 88 was totaled. Both have been awesome. We replaced the trans 2 yrs ago it now has 224K miles and is beginning burden my wallet. Looking to replace it, problem is, no one has as big a truck, new suburbans don't have the 4x8 bed, 99 was the last year for that. Chevy runs strong.

Uses car for Towing

still going strong

by gravy from Florida on Tue Jul 13 2010

We now have 183000 on our '99 C1500. This is the second one we've had. The first one, a '92 had 194000 on it when it was traded. The '92 was a 4X4 and had the bucket seats. The bench seat is a little less comfy and doesn't go back far enough for me, but it's my wife's every day vehicle. Over all it's one nice SUV. The 5.7 is adequate unless you're hauling a big heavy trailer, and ours gets 18 mpg on the road (15 city). This is probably the last one for us unless we find another with low mileage. Wife doesn't like the newer body style. Our daughter has a 2005 and I don't car much for ir eiter.

Best Truck

by Truckman from Ottawa, Ontario on Mon Dec 21 2015

Bought it brand new in 2000, so far it has been the best truck I have ever had. The best about this truck is parallel parking; I live downtown; therefore, parking space is premium and small; however, with the wide steering radius, I certainly have impressed so many spectators on the streets. This truck is so well built, I have not seen any rust on the body yet and after 200K, the engine still smooth like silk. I was going to trade it in for a 2015 Suburban, but the new truck did not feel as good. I think I will drive this baby for another 100K.

Aint no burb like the one I got

by Big Green from Atlanta, GA on Fri May 16 2014

I bought my 99 Chevrolet Suburban in October of 2000. I am now at 258,000 miles on the same engine. This Baby purrs like a kitten. Even my mechanic is surprise of how well she still works. I replaced the transmission after 13 years, but the engine is so quiet. I am never getting rid of her. I get quotes and notes everyday left on my door of people asking "Do you want to sell"? The answer is no. I just drove 8 hours to Kentucky and 8 hours back, greatest ride ever, because there is so much room. The trunk held luggage for 7 people and the kids still had room to lay out and sleep. Of course Big Green is always dressed and has a remote starter. I don't know who is more spoiled me or her.

Reliable and easy to maintain

by The Hodge from NC on Sat May 13 2017

Have driven a 1999 Suburban over 183,000 miles since 1999 and it still has all the original systems. Only replaced normal wear items like belts, hoses and break pads. Have never had front end alignment since purchased. Just recently replace the first burnt out headlight bulb. Would buy a new one tomorrow if they made the exact same model. Most versatile vehicle I have ever owned.

Love this car

by SUV Mom from Provo, Utah on Tue Nov 21 2006

I love this car for what it is...an SUV. It is a very comfortable ride and have enjoyed mine for several years now!!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1999 Chevrolet Suburban

Big?

You realize the size when trying to slip into the space at the mall and need two, maybe three attempts to snuggle within the lines.

Big?

You realize how tall this thing stands when you try to step in or out gracefully, but concede and reach for a ladder.

Big?

You realize how massive this thing is when you pull up to the pump, and the guy behind the register puts down the newspaper and calls his stockbroker.

For years, Suburban has been the biggest people hauler on the road without Greyhound written on its side.

Yet, come fall, the Chevrolet Suburban will have an even bigger rival--one that has a Ford logo floating in the grille and the Excursion name tacked onto the fender.

More on... Read More