2005 Dodge Dakota

Best Mid-Size Truck on the Market

by from Wisconsin on August 31, 2010

I waited for the 2005 redesigned Dakota body style and really like the way it looks. Had a Ford Ranger for 2 years, test drove all the other small to mid-size trucks. The Dodge Dakota is the best by far. Have owned for over 5 years and very few issues...just normal maintenance. Looks and feels like a much bigger truck. I have the Quad Cab and very comfortable seating for 5 adults. I like the AWD and the ability to shift on the fly into 4 wheel lock and even 4 wheel low if needed...but never used. Just peace of mind. Handles great in the snow and on wet roads too. Like all the safety features like side curtain air bags, etc. I would highly recommend the Dodge Dakota.

Aside from the gas mileage, great truck!

by from Waycross, GA on April 30, 2010

Love the truck. Never had a repair in 4-years. Love the look and performance has been exceptional. Just not too keen on 12 MPG in city. :(

Best looking and fastest truck ever!

by from Jacksonville, FL on January 11, 2013

My 05 Dakota is the 4.7 v8 and when I mash down on the gas it feels like I am driving a NASCAR. Chicks really dig all the space in the backseat. Gotta say without a doubt this truck is a part of my best memories. Grab life by the horns!

sweet truck

by from woodstock,il on February 26, 2010

my third dakota take care of it, and it will take care of you. 5 years old still runs and drives like new. The ranger is to small and outdated. and chevys have to much plastic.always had dodge vehicles I also have a sweet running 93 plymouth grand voyager and a 03 jeep liberty all run great.

dodge dakota

by from chicago,il on November 3, 2014

I have 3 dakotas and wish they still made these,now its time for a new truck again and there is really nothing out there I like as much as this truck. except for normal maint. this truck has been trouble free. I bought dakotas because they gave you the most truck for the money. everything else was 1000s more amd not as good looking as this truck. (cmon dodge bring dakota back)

get up and go

by from Thunder Bay, Ontario on January 7, 2008

I've got the SLT fully loaded, trailer package, 4x4 chrome rims and black/chrome exteriors. Sharp looking and the V8 has guts. Tows my 18 foot camper like it's not there. No major problems at 35,000km. Replaced a seized caliper around 25,000km and back chrome bumper started rusting from day one. Cloth seats will stain from just rain so get covers for them. Stereo has good bass. You feel like one of the big boys in this compact. Competition looked too cheap and Toyota was too expensive.

Good Truck

by from Cleveland, Ohio on July 7, 2007

For the size I couldn't find anything else that compared. I've had good luck with it. Already 55k miles and no problems. My first truck that isn't full size - and I've been pleased.

love this truck

by from chicago,il on June 1, 2015

great truck,great size,wish they still made them. If dodge brings them back I will be first in line to get one. and yes it has some minor issue's but show me anything that hasn't had problems. gas mpg could be better but again no worse than anybody unless you buy a base stick 4 cylinder import that struggles to tow something as small as a jet skii.

2 Time Dakota Owner

by from Hartsville, Trousdale County, Tennessee, United St on April 27, 2017

Best truck I have ever owned. This is my second Dakota, and it has been a reliable workhorse for me. It is comfortable for long trips and great towing capacity.

Been through the worst but it's my daily

by from New Mexico on September 11, 2014

So being from New Mexico having ranches I use trucks all the time. My 05 4.7 4x4 does everything but pull the trailers. This thing has seen some pretty horrible days. Me and a buddy were off roading in a dry river bank when I hit a mud hole and sunk. Tried to get me out but no use, so we figured we would just get the front loader in the AM. Well it rained that night and the river bank filled up water was up to the middle of the doors and flooded the interior. After I got it out the only problems I had was a broken radiator a messed up tensioner pully and belt and thermostat besides that truck runs great!!

Our Expert Review: 2005 Dodge Dakota