2009 Journey

2009 Dodge Journey

2009 Dodge Journey

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2009 Dodge Journey?

Be sure to pay for the Extended warranty

by Noway from Macomb Twp, MI on Tue Sep 25 2012

I bought my 09 Journey Pre-Owned Certified one year ago. I've had to take it for new rotors, which ok that could be considered regular maintenance. the garage door opener in the visor quite working. A month ago the car started blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe. We took it to the get it checked out. We were told we needed an oil change and a new intake air manifold. One week later the dome lights started flickering, the radio controls on the steering went out. Then, the car died. We jumped it and the mileage reset itself. The car died again after the first jump. We took it to the service department again. This time it is the instrument cluster the was putting out to high a voltage and draining the battery. I'm very unsatisfied. After having the car for only a year and it's pre-owned certified this shouldn't be happening. Unreliable and not a deal at all! I won't be getting a Dodge again nor will I ever recommend one to anyone. Oh and I even call Chrysler corp to see if they would consider having it fixed for free. I've gotten the run around and been told that because of the mileage and it isn't under warranty no one can do anything. I guess Dodge can only gaurantee their cars will work for a year or two maybe.

Love My Journey

by Motor City Motorist from Detroit, MI on Sat Jan 09 2010

"I think the Journey is one of the best SUV's on the market in it's price range. I've had my Journey for about 11 months,and I do alot of mixed driving (city/highway),and this vehicle performs well in both.It also has enough power for normal driving. On the inside it's very quiet,no squeak's or rattles. I have the 5 seater SXT model, and there's tons of cargo and passenger room, great for long trips plus up to 24 MPG. I have the chrome package, and people always ask me what kind of vehicle it is based on it's visual appeal. If your in the market give the Journey a test drive."

I HATE THIS CAR

by Dawnny from Detroit, MI on Wed Sep 25 2013

I bought the car brand new in 2009. Within the first year, less than 15,000 miles I was told I needed new front brakes. When I questioned how is that possible I was told it's probably your driving style. I contacted the corporate office and was given the same answer. Two months after paying for brakes the company issued a recall. Fastforward to 2012...my car overheated as I was driving home from work on a 6 lane highway. At that time I was told my water pump malfunctioned. 3 months later the check engine light comes on & I'm told I need a coolant reservoir $200. Two weeks later it overheats again. Now I'm told the reservoir was never the issue. Yesterday the engine light comes on again. Now I'm told over $2500 worth of repairs are needed. I will be picking up my new Buick lacrosse tomorrow!!! Don't buy this car unless it's a life or death situation!!!!!!!

Incredibly unreliable

by Momof2 from Cincinnati, Ohio on Tue Jul 10 2012

I bought this car thinking it would be a great family car. For two small kids, it is generally comfortable, however, I agree that the third row is largely useless. Entertainment system is a nice bous. My biggest issue is the overall reliability of the car. It has been in the shop for numerous issues - brakes and rotors several times, steering column, random noises that could not be accurately diagnosed, starter issues. My current problem is the all wheel drive, which apparently had a hole in it, caused my entire transmission to shut down. Even better, the part is back ordered, so the dealership can't tell me at this point when my car will be fixed. This is the last of a long string of times my car will be out of commission, as I will be switching to Ford to have a car that I can count on.

New car is in the shop?

by kmimay from SC on Sat Sep 12 2009

I had my Dodge Journey 2 weeks before the check engine light came on and it was in the shop getting the catalytic converter replaced. I just don't expect to have these kinds of problems with a new car. I have a feeling this will not be a last visit to the shop...

Great vehicle

by Car Nut from fredericton New Brunswick on Mon Sep 07 2009

I have had this car for three months now and have put 8000 km on it so far. I have driven it on long trips and got better gas milage than advertised. It is a a very confortable, safe reliable vehicle which is why I bought it. Chyrsler has been getting a lot of negative reviews lately and I can tell you that this is the forth vehicle I have owned from this company and all of them were safe reliable vehicles. So keep up the good work boys and I will keep on buying your products.

Great Vehicle for the $$$

by Value Minded from Ankeny, Iowa on Fri Mar 13 2009

This is a great vehicle for anyone looking for a good value. Performance is good and it looks good too. If you are looking to replace your minivan this is a great option if you can't spend $35000 like me. Looked at allot of other vehicles but for the $$ this one could not be beat. The incentives, rebates & 0% financing being offered were better than any other dealership. Features were good even in the SXT model. Transmission can be a bit sluggish but nothing that takes away from overall performance. If you need 7 passenger seating & want to spend less than $25000, this is the car for you.

Bad brakes

by Charlestondriver from Charleston, SC on Tue May 17 2011

I have a 2009 Dodge Journey with 29,000 miles on it. I heard the brakes squeaking around 24,000 miles and took it to the dealership to find out I only had 10% of my brake pads remaining. They changed both the rotors and brakes pads. Then when it was time for my next oil change, I noticed a squeaking again. They once again had to change out the brakes and rotors. Thank goodness it is under warranty the way it is going through brake pads!

Minivan practicality with SUV looks

by Dodge Girl from Ossining NY on Fri Jun 25 2010

I needed seating for 7, but did not want another minivan. I also did not necessarily want 4 wheel or all-wheel drive since I was concerned about mileage. This is the perfect vehicle! I can load it up with stuff with the third row seat down or load it up with kids when I pull them up. All the features are easy to use. It is very sporty and the interior is comfortable and modern. It rides and runs great. The exterior is so sporty and fun. The Journey gets the same mileage my minivan did and offers all the functionality with a sporty look! I LOVE it!!!

Love This Car!!

by MochaMomma from Columbia, SC on Thu Aug 18 2011

I almost didnt get this vehicle, due to some the bad reviews. I'm glad I did purchase this ride!!! I enjoy driving this car. I have not had the problems that many have posted on here. Its comfortable and I enjoy all the extras:moon roof, nav, uconnect, heated seats, dvd for my kids. Great Ride!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2009 Dodge Journey

Dodge's 2009 Journey is a bizarre SUV. There's nothing wrong with it really. It's large, affordable and comes in an array of trim levels and prices, along with a choice of four- and six-cylinder engines and either front- or all-wheel drive. It can also be equipped with an optional third row of seats.

None of that is the problem. What bothers me is where the Journey fits in the current automotive landscape. When equipped with a V-6 engine and third row, it goes head-to-head with the Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot, both newly redesigned models with solid fan bases and proven reliability. Take that third row out and it has to fight off the Ford Edge and Hyundai Santa Fe. Stick with the base four-cylinder engine... Read More