Model Details

4.3
Average based on 28 reviews

Good Truck for the Money

by from Massachusetts on May 24, 2010

This is my second Dodge Ram 1500 and I have to say, it's a good truck. Can be very relieble if maitained properly. The common problem that Ram trucks have is the rocker panel and bottom of the doors rust. The U joints, ball joints and power steering pump would probaly break first at a good mileage. I would say, very easy to work on and inexpensive on parts. If you need a truck for towing something heavyer, get a manual if not, just a simple automatic transmission would work. Once again, if you maintain properly, will not have to fix it. The handling and design is not the best in any way, but I would say that it's a great value for the money.

Uses car for Towing

Best truck ever

by from San Jose, California on October 4, 2009

I love my truck. It is the best truck I ever drove or owned. It is reliable strong and easy to maintain. If you own one change the transmission fluid as ordered or you might cause a problem . I use high end fluid and it pays off big time.

If you can....get one!

by from CT on January 18, 2013

I absolutely love this truck! I owned a Ford in 1990, so I began my search there, but this Dodge Ram 1500 not only had great looks, but tons of power on and off road. Roomy extended cab, excellent vision with no blaring blind spots. The only negative I can think of is that it just EATS gas. I use this for a fun, around town and junk/brush hauling vehicle. I would never commute everyday in it. Mine was babied, only 86K miles and absolutely no rust. She's a beauty. Affordable used truck, but well worth the price!

best looking truck

by from morton grove il on January 2, 2012

veary good truck just don't expect good gas milage had a chevy decent truck but could not keep the ABS or engine light off .

Second Dodge Truck I've owned

by from Miami Florida on February 12, 2013

I had never owned a truck and bought a 1994 Dodge Laramie 1500 to do a project. I expected to sell the truck when I was done. I loved it so much I kept it but alas, I was hit from behind and the insurance company would fix it so I went out looking for another Dodge. I was lucky fo find my 2001 Dodge Laramie Extended Cab with an 8 foot bed and pneumatic load levelers. I am the third owner of this truck and while it hasn't been babied it is very good condition. The interior is almost brand-new. The materials that they have chosen are far better than the older truck that I owned. The upholstery material has held up very well and there are no tears, particularly on the drivers seat where careless drivers don't lift their butts to get out of the vehicle. The cab is very well laid out and unlike the domestic pickups from Chevy and Ford, the fold up center console is a real usable desk. Mine is the extended cab version which has sufficient room to accommodate six people in the cab in a pinch. Of course the back seat's just a little bit crowded legroom wise. It folds up easily from either side and there are small compartments underneath it for storage of things like extension cords, basic tools, and the like. The exterior styling of the vehicle still is timeless. This is the last model year and beginning in 2002 they freshened design slightly but still the truck looks much the same. The engine starts and runs strongly, the transmission shifts smoothly and the truck has a great sound. The cabin is actually well insulated and quite quiet. Okay, now for all the bad stuff. It's been my experience in this truck and the last one that for a sun unprotected dashboard, you can expected to crack and disintegrate. Likewise the bezel around the instruments also tends to crack. On this truck I've removed the insturment bezels and coated the cracks with epoxy from the inside which seems to hold it together. You can buy aftermarket dash covers for about $150 and diecut carpet covers for under $50 which will protect the dash from the sun. In this sunny state, you can expect the exterior paint to become sunburned. I just had the truck painted and it looks like 1 million bucks. The long wheelbase version of this truck with the 8 foot bed makes making a U-turn quite difficult. You must have three lanes in order to effectively make a U-turn however I can haul a ton of stuff and with a bed mounted toolbox I have a mile of room for hauling tools and material. Talking about shortcomings on the interior, the map light switches on both lights no longer work properly and the sunglass holder class in the overhead console broke which I have repaired with epoxy. Comparing Chevy' design of the similar feature is superior. As everybody else has complained about the gas mileage (this truck has the 5.2 L, 318 in.³ V-8 and I get about 12 miles around town and 17 On the hwy which I consider far superior to the 9 miles around town and 13 on the hwy. That I got with my 5.9 L in the 1994 Dodge truck I had before). But overall, I absolutely love this truck. I love the way it looks, I love the way it drives, I love the way it sounds, I love the way it rides and I love the amount of stuff that I can put in it and it's reliable and it doesn't complain.

Own 2 of them

by from Phoenix, AZ on February 21, 2013

I own 2 of these trucks one a 1995 and the other a 2001Quad Cab. Both trucks have the 318 engine and are by far the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned. The 2001 has over 250,000 miles on the original enigine and while the gas milage has never been great it averages about 17 on the highway (with a 5 speed manual). Yes this vehicle is my daily driver and far more comfortable then my wifes over priced european car. My 95 has 185,000 miles on the original engine and is now on its second teenage driver. Again has never broke down or left anyone stranded. If your looking for a good reliable vehicle this is it. It will do everything you need it to do.

@001 Dodge 1500

by from Waterloo,I.A. on July 31, 2011

I Love this truck,fun to drive.Alittle rough on the gas.Besides being a gas hog,this truck is just what I am looking for in performance,and four wheeling.

Great Truck for Pulling

by from San Diego, CA on February 12, 2008

2001 Diesel Sport Cuad Dodge truck. Very good truck and can pull anything. But not much room in rear seat. Too much plastic inside interior.

Dodge Ram

by from Noblesville, Indiana on August 30, 2011

Very good performing truck, very comfortable and it gives you a sense of security and sturdiness when driving it

great truck wouldnt sell it for anything

by from Connecticut on June 7, 2007

i bought this truck in 2001 and so far ive put about 137k miles on it. It also sat from april 06-07 because i was given a business car. it still runs great. i love the way it looks. Very bold and tough and its never let me down. Beofre i purchased this truck i looked around at all the other brands like ford, chevy etc. and nothing else could offer me all the features that this truck did for the price.