2014 Escape

4.5

Have You Driven the 2014 Ford Escape?

So Far So Good

by PB from Illinois on Wed Dec 23 2015

Traded a 2007 Freestyle which was an excellent vehicle. At first I was not so sure I made the right decision. Owned Fords/Mercs since 1956. Purchased a 2014 SE 1.6 EccoBoost with 17k. Handling and driving the car is just great.Plenty of power for a 4 cyl. Avg for driving around town is 27.1 mpg. On the highway 31. I like the controls which are easy to use,The ride is not as good as a bigger vehicle,but acceptable.So far zero problems and happy with the vehicle.I would recommend to a anyone who needs a roomy smaller SUV that's likes pulling into a gas station and fills up for 20$. I drove the Escape and the Edge before the deal and did not care for the view of the road in the Edge.

Excellent car as I get older...

by JVB from Houston, TX on Wed Sep 18 2013

I'm close to my mid 60's and hemiplegic [left side paralysis]. It's getting more difficult to get in and out of low cars. The last car I had was a 2011 Ford Fusion - difficult to get in or out as a passenger and get out as a driver. The Escape has a greater seat to ground distance and is very easy to get in and out both as a driver and a passenger. The small turbocharged V-4 has plenty of power to get away from dangerous situations along with good gas mileage is I don't "hot rod." The computer controlled suspension works very well. The only difficulty is putting on the seat belt as a driver or passenger, but losing some belly fat will solve that problem. Being 6'2" tall is no problem but the 260 lbs needs to be fixed. In my previous car I had to watch the low roof and not hit the back of my head, but not in the taller Escape.

by Everyday Vehicle from on Mon Aug 18 2014

EveryDayVehicle.wordpress.com The 2014 Ford Escape redesign from the 2012 models marks a significant improvement on the look of the vehicle. The Escape went from a boxy SUV to a nice stylish, almost european, design that took the vehicle several steps above from where it was. The model that I test drove was the 2014 Escape Titanium, which comes with the 2.0 Ecoboost engine. Ford has attempted to make their vehicles more fuel efficient, which they have, by replacing larger engines with smaller turbo engines. Exterior The new redesign is exactly where Ford had to go to stay competitive in the market place. It has a very slick design, which adds to its visual appeal, and is also good for fuel efficiency when on the highway. The hood and the head lights give the vehicle a more aggressive look that just steers your eyes toward the rest of the car. It makes a statement that the previous Escape did not. The Escape also has a nice little feature is allows the front vents to close, which decreases wind resistance. (not available on the 2.0 Ecoboost) Technology I was able to drive the Titanium version of the vehicle. This version of the vehicle has all of the technology options. The technology available includes heated seats, heated mirrors, remote start, My Ford touch, memory seats, rear view camera, foot activated lift gate, and the ability to change the color of the interior ambient lighting. The only option that I did not have was the sunroof. One of the more unique features of the Escape is the rear foot-activated lift gate. I found that is never really worked on the first time and I didn?t find it too pleasing that I had to sit there and kick the car 3 or 4 times before I was able to empty out my hands. My Ford touch would also be a negative as just attempting to turn up the air conditioning was really taking a lot of my attention. After attempting to use the system for awhile, I would just hit the buttons that were right below for a faster response that took less attention. Also, while driving my passenger was not able to select a destination on the GPS until I came to a complete stop and put the vehicle into park. I understand why they put that safety feature in the vehicle, but because the passenger seat can detect when a person is sitting in it, they should be able to allow the passenger to input the data. On the steering wheel there are a ton of buttons but it is not overwhelming. Using all the technology that Ford packed into this vehicle makes it manageable all at the wheel. One of my favorite features is also one of the most basic, is the cruise control. The layout on the wheel is very user friendly with the cancel button on the back of the wheel and the obvious + and ? buttons. Interior Taking a look inside the vehicle, it definitely has more room than expected. I was able to put the back seats down and lay completely flat without touching the front seats or the trunk and I?m 6 ft tall. It?s not only the space in the back, but also the front seats that don?t make you feel cramped, like in several of the other compact SUV/crossovers. My favorite thing about the Escape is that the interior didn?t feel cheap like a lot of the other Ford vehicles. They put in a lot of soft plastics and leather in the front to give it more of a luxury look. I think that they hit the nail on the head with this feature. The interior gets full marks because it is aggressive, just like the outside, with quality materials to complement each other. Engine The 2014 Ford Escape comes with 3 different 4 cylinder engines, the 2.5 liter (168 hp), the 1.6 liter Ecoboost (178 hp), and the 2.0 liter Ecoboost (240 hp). I only drove the 2.0 liter Ecoboost and I have to say that it was quick. The engine doesn?t make you want to go slow, before you know it you are already cruising by the speed limit in the left lane wondering why everyone is going so slow. The source of it?s power are the two turbo charges that are strapped on the engine, which basi

Escape #2

by packfan from Huntsville, AL on Tue Apr 08 2014

I have a 2014 SE. This is my 2nd Escape, first was 2007 that I still have. I spend about half my time doing city driving and half highway and after 2500+ miles I'm averaging 25-27 mpg. About half of my drive to work is rough elevated highways and I can defintely tell a difference in the 2007 and 2014 with the 2014 being much smoother and quieter. So far I've only had minor hiccups with Sync, occasionally it won't show the correct song title when I am using it with my iPhone but unplugging fixes the issue. I do wish that the panoramic roof opened all the way back over all the seats like they do in the Edges though. I've always been a Ford fan and so far I've gotten what I expected out of the 2014 Escape

First Ford

by First Time Ford from Hummelstown, PA on Mon Jan 06 2014

I purchased my 2014 Escape SE 5 days ago and I'm impressed with how solid it is. I feel very safe driving this car. I have owned Nissan Rogues, Chevy Equinoxs and Toyota Highlanders and I feel the ride of this car is so much more comfortable. I only have a few minor complaints. I think it's a bit tight in the seat and leg room. The gas mileage isn't what I thought it would be but I'm hoping that it gets better over time. The price is up there for a smaller SUV. All in all I would recommend this car to others. I'm very happy with it so far and plan to keep it for a few years!!

Amazing

by Margo from Fredericton New Brunswick Canada on Sat Jun 28 2014

I just bought my 2014 escape titanium and I had test driven a lot of SUVs . This vehicle is very futuristic looking and for me had the WOW factor that none of the others had. Absolutely amazing sunroof , and I love that I can just wave my foot under the rear bumper and. The trunk opens. I'm still getting used to the fact that my vehicle parallel parks itself...wow! So far it outperforms every vehicle that I've owned

Loved until it had issues ...

by Thimble from Small town , Illinois on Wed Sep 06 2017

Loved this suv until started having issues with check engine light coming on at 35k miles had turbo booster going out, then transmission issues we had a dealership that was very difficult to not only to get in in a fast manner but they didn't seem much interested in listening too or fixing the issues we were having with the car that were all covered by warranty !

Does not recommend this car!!

Gas mileage is awful

by Mrfuel from Salt lake city on Sun Mar 23 2014

Traded from a 2010 escape to a 2014. Quiet is the 1st thing I noticed. You feel like your in a cockpit with the new model. Ride is smoother. No storage in cabin, lack of cup holders. Sync has its days. Glove box is to far away.Rear storage is smaller. The gas mileage has been absolutely awful, It ranges from 20-22 mpg every tank. rated 22+. I figure it cost about $50.00 month more than my 2010 to run. most of my miles are freeway, I have tried every brand of gas and the results stay the same. When purchasing a new car, remember to add the cost of additional gas into the price.

Great and Fun SUV

by MaverickIII from Overland Park, KS on Tue Jun 17 2014

I have the AWD SE with the 1.6L Eco Boost engine and love to drive it, I look for somewhere to go just for the fun of it. Any one complaining about gas mileage needs to learn to drive or slow down near the speed limit. It is very comfortable and quiet with so many fun gadgets to play with. I love the back up camera and all the other toys. Mine also has leather, and the convenience group and the power lift gate. The engine give you plenty of power when you need it but if you don't take your foot out of it MPG will suffer, you can't get both from any vehicle. I got 29 MPG on my first highway trip, and get about 24 combined driving. Love it and would recommend it to anyone.

Excellent vehicle

by Streeter from Michigan on Wed May 07 2014

Very nice ride, sporty performance (really quick), and good gas mileage. I feel it is a little smaller in the cargo area than the last Escape but they say it is bigger. I have had my Titanium for a little over a year now and still absolutely love it.

Our Take on the 2014 Ford Escape

Editor's note: This review was written in April 2012 about the 2013 Ford Escape. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2014, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Ford has released a series of good-looking cars with excellent mileage lately. But whether it's the too-cramped Fiesta interior or the sluggish transmission on the Focus, these otherwise spectacular mainstream vehicles have had a few serious flaws.

The redesigned 2013 Escape is different: No matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find anything significantly wrong with it.

A duo of new turbo engines offer better performance than the competition, the interior is roomy... Read More