2009 Escape Hybrid

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Have You Driven the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid?

Excellent transportation

by Retired from Sacramento, California on Sat Mar 14 2009

I have had this little SUV for 6 months now. It has proven to be an excellent means of transportation. I bought the 'Limited' package and found I really use the navigation system, voice control and 'Hands free' cell phone interface. I find the security system an A+, as well as the interior/exterior design/implimentation. Best of all, the reason I bought the hybrid, is the gas mileage. So far I have averaged 32 mpg with each tank full. I live in California's Central Valley, so the drive is pretty much level which ever way I go. That helps a lot with the mileage. I find it easy, after 6 months of practice, to get the SUV into Electric Vehicle (EV) mode and hold it there at 39 mph, or less. When ever the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) kicks in, fuel economy drops. This occurs typically when going up a hill, using heating, or air conditioning, accelerating to get up to speed, or driving above 40 mph. Aside from the fuel economy, I really like the cargo space in this little SUV, the 'Button pad' keyless entry on the drivers door, the USB, 12 Volt DC & 110 volt AC connections and the lighting options. This is one 'Cute Ute' and a joy to drive. The only thing I am unhappy with is the center console ... it is at my elbow and I cannot easily open the top and look in to get something. Unfortunately, a compact vehicle is indeed compact.

Hybrid? All Wheel Drive? Small SUV? Only 1 Choice

by Swiss Army Knife of Car Reviewers from Vienna, VA on Mon Feb 20 2012

When looking for a commute vehicle which could also hold two small kids, I looked at numerous sedans (Toyota Camery Hybrid, Ford Fusion Hybrid) and was impressed with them but wanted one option they didn't have: AWD. Doing my research, the only car which had all of the above was the Ford Escape Hybrid (and the Lexus SUV, but a bit too expensive for a commute car). I found that starting in 2008, the Ford Escape Hybrid had been completely redesigned with additional safety features, and with the Hybrid it was eligible for "Clean Fuel Tags" in Virginia, a big plus on I-66 to go single person in HOV lanes. I also learned starting in 2009 they upgraded the engine, braking and steering, so clearly a 2009 or newer was the best match for me, and I must say I have been impressed. 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy driving, very comfortable to drive extended miles and easily able to get around in bad weather with comfort and safety.

1st time SUV and hybrid owner. so far so good!

by Recovering Angry Driver from California on Mon Apr 13 2009

As a first time SUV AND a hybrid vehicle driver, I'm happy to report that owning the 2009 FEH has been a positive experience so far! What attracted me to FEH was its fuel economy. After doing some research online before buying, I found out that the 2009 FEH is LITERALLY the BEST SUV in term of MPG - hybrid or otherwise. After breaking in the vehicle (which, btw, will take at least 1K and up to 3K), my 09 FEH does indeed deliver the advertised MPG numbers. With my new hybrid driving habits, I'm only expecting my MPG numbers, which are not unlike the gas price, to go up. I got the cheapest trim level, but in term of features, it is still on par with a high-end non-hybrid Escape model(6-way power driver seat, dual-zone temp control, Sync, Sirius, auto-dimming rearview mirror etc). And to me, that's enough. I did the math - if I were to get all the standard FEH features on an 09 non-hybrid Escape, I would have saved around 4000 bucks. However, with the $3000 tax credit for this tax year, the "hybrid" premium pretty much disappears for the 09 FEH. So all things consider, 09 FEH is heck of a deal (not to mention comparisons with other hybrid SUVs)! Can't really comment on quality/reliability yet, but it was pretty much my only major worry. I've had some spectacularly bad experiences with Ford back in the early 90s (the memory of my mom's old Taurus burning by the free haunts me to this day :). But people are saying that Ford has really gotten their act together over the years, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that front. One thing worth mentioning is that driving a hybrid vehicle has literally changed my driving style. Before, I was an aggressive driver and I got easily angered into killer road-rage. Now, almost like a game, I want to get the highest MPG possible :) As a result, I'm a much more mellow driver. And, this may be a sickening thing to say, I actually ENJOY traffic from time to time. It makes me feel mighty nice when I'm burning ZERO gas under 40 mph or stuck in a moving parking lot. So all in all, I find driving to be much more relaxing and enjoyable, and that, my friends, is priceless.

Happy to drive this one

by Riding High & Easy from Ellicott City, Md on Sun Jan 31 2010

The Ford Escape Hybrid is fun to drive for this suburban Mom. So far getting about 25-30 mpg and it handles great in the snow. Plenty roomy for 3 older kids in back seat and has 4 cup holders, a major plus on long trips. Husband likes the AC outlet and of course we all like the IPOD capability. Last car was a mini-van, although not as big, the Escape has a very roomy interior feel. Also fits in the garage with room to spare and that's a nice plus. Does have some road noise.

Great car!

by Two Hybrids from Tremont, Il on Mon Oct 25 2010

4WD Fuel economy is about what was expected (27-32 range). That is mostly highway driving. Overall average mpg is about 29, 30+ if you stay in a low speed range more and keep off the high speed accelleration. This isn't like the Prius which shuts off when you let off the accellerator. The engine will stay on, but the owner's manual says it is not using any gas (not sure that's true). True mpg is about -1 mpg from the stated computer readout. Quick accelleration, good tires. The 4wd drive model is not AWD, but will activate the rear wheels when needed. Has traction control. Don't expect to tow anything behind this car. There is a tow package, but it is only for the regular Escape. The Sync system works for the most part. Bluetooth phone link is handy. USB plug in and line in automatically detected by system. Controls on steering wheel for volume, tracks, cruise, phone. All in all, great car. 4WD and traction control will come in handy in the winter.

Great first hybrid experience

by Kahuna from Beaufort, NC on Mon Dec 05 2011

We were considering a replacement for our 2000 Explorer, which had been a great car. Considered Subaru's, etc., but decided on the Escape Hybrid. Love the car! Peppier than I expected (don't like the Prius in this regard). Now that I do not have to trailer larger boats, it is just what we need. It would be nice if the back seats went entirely flat for cargo, but that is minor.

great vehicle

by tuna from Huntsville, AL on Tue May 24 2016

I bought new in 2009. At about 50,000 miles the windshield washer pump developed a leak. I replaced it myself for $17. The tires were replaced at 86,000 mile but still had 1/3 tread left!. The 12 v Battery was replaced at 98,000 mile after 7 years. It is on its 4th set of windshield wiper blades. Other than routine oil changes, NO OTHER MAINTENANCE! The vehicle now has 104,000 miles and still runs like new. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned 85 vehicles since 1967. The $17 dollar windshield washer pump is the only non-wear item ever replace. To top it all off it averages 32 mpg in mixed city highway driving. It will get 40 mpg if you drive it like my grandma and take full advantage of regenerative braking a very gentle starts, but I usually don't, 32mpg is good enough!

I love this SUV

by Nick from San Francisco on Sun Aug 01 2010

This is my first American car- usually I own Toyotas or Hondas. I've had it for a year and a half, and so far no maintenance at all. (Just changed the oil at 7,500 miles as recommended by manufacturer, this and all other maintenance is covered by the great extended warranty, and get free premium tires for life). I got the highest one you can get- leather interior, SYNC computer system, sunroof, AWD, lojack, clearcoat and protection in interior, and many extras. My friends love it and always comment on how nice it is when they first see it. Many think I have a Lincoln Navagator, even though it's smaller, just because of the nice interior (which was also upgrated with a shiny black console). I live in San Francisco which is very hilly, so I don't get to take advantage of the hybrid feature much but my average fuel economy is 26 mi/gallon, which is good for an SUV. The handling is as expected for an SUV....if you approach curves you feel the need to slow down quite a bit, although it has vehicle stability control. I'd buy a Ford again, and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Preowned 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid Limited w/ 50K mi

by NemakV from Lincoln, California on Wed Oct 26 2016

I'm retired and I bought one of the rarely available used (one owner) SUV Hybrid in Limited edition with 50K mi on it (on ave just above 7K mi per year driven in rust-free California. After 6,000 mi more on this rear SUV hybrid I can expressed my overal satisfaction. This is the only reliable and overbuilt Escape Ford made including among the very different and more troublesome 2013-2016 non-hybrid Escapes consumer data demonstrated. That's why owner keep longer their Escapes Hybrid and it's very difficult to find one used with relatively low mileage today. Plus exterior and roomier interior looks better than 2013-2016 non-Hybrid Escapes. Since 2009-2012 model year Escape Hybrid are practically the same equipment SUV except the rear camera lately added with parking assist and A/C can be on without triggering automatically the gas engine on. My city mileage in regularly better than the specs, and since we live on the city hills any trip down the hill and driving on flat areas gives us not only above 40 mpg, but we reached frequently around 100 mpg and frequently between. Only if you know how to use the hybrid powertrain accordingly and follow the rules. Ford engineers calibrated this Atkinson-cycle 4-cyl 2.5 L gas engine to work better than Prius full hybrid in sync with the el. motor. The lower than Prius overal mileage comes only because Escape is much heavier SUV. Actually, as you know full hybrid powertrain linked to CVT ages more since in SUV than in small lighter cars like Prius. The combination of utility and well calibrated full hybrid powertrain is the dreamed combination in even today's market. On the top of all combined advantages Escape SUV Hybrid is PZEV vehicle for the cleaner environment (Partially-Zero-Electrucal Vehicle category). On regular Hwy driving also reaching frequently higher than the specs of 31 mpg ave mpg, like 35-36 mpg with smart and not aggressive driving.

40mpg

by Long commuter from Florida on Tue Jul 15 2014

I bought my escape used 2 years ago put abou 60k miles the only thing I have had to do is add freon once. I never get less then 37mpg it's always between 37-41.6 now I do have a light foot and that's 75 percent highway the real trick to getting great mileage on this car is the keep your rpms as steady as you can at 1500 which granted will only get you up to about 62mph and i live in fl so the roads are flat but worth the savings. My only complain would be the rear folding seats have a couple extra steps to lay down. I prefer this style escape over the newer ones which no longer come in hybrid, but I have been told from the dealer they plan on releasing a newer hybrid escape in the future.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Small SUVs are relatively efficient compared to their larger counterparts, but even in a model like that, topping off the tank can get pricey when gas is above $4 a gallon — as it is in many places around the country.

What's an SUV shopper to do? If you're not ready to downsize to a small vehicle, the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid remains one of the most efficient small SUVs available today, with an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 34/31 mpg city/highway for the front-wheel-drive model and fuel economy of 29/27 mpg for ones with all-wheel drive. I tested an all-wheel version of the new Limited trim level of the Escape Hybrid and found that the EPA's fuel economy estimates are easily within reach. Aside... Read More