2003 Ford Explorer

All Reviews

by from maumee,oh. on November 27, 2012

i bought the 03' 10 months ago,and have been very happy, minus the gas milege in the city (but it is a suv) i've used it in off road (nothing crazy) travel, extreme snow, it just eats it up. i bought it with 122,000, and i just clicked 135,000 taken it on 2 different trips at 1,200 miles each, and it performed like a champ. other than a set of tires, and oil changes, and the factory stereo. i havn't put any other money into it. at this rate i would have to say "i would buy this very capable vehichle again"

by from Minnesota on April 9, 2012

We have owned a 98 and 99 Explorer in the past and loved them so wanted another one when we were looking for a second vehicle. We wanted the newer style but had to stay within budget so we found a 2003 that we feel in love with. It's a Limited so it has the 2 extra seats in the back. I myself haven't sat back there but our 10 year old said when she did, it is tight but it works for having the extra seating when needed. We love everything with it from the sunroof, leather seats, back up assist, adjustable brake pedal, dual temperature controls and keyless entry and more. We got this one for a really good price, better then others we have found and it had 163,000 miles on it. The only downside was the tires need to be replaces asap, but otherwise it's in great condition so whoever had it before took care of it. It's a smooth ride and can't even tell it's running when idle. We later found out it even has side airbags so that makes it even safer.

by from Atlanta, GA on February 21, 2008

In October of 2003 I purchased a 2003 Explorer XLS V-6 with 9000 miles. After looking at several competing models, the decision ultimately came down to price. This model was close to $5k cheaper than comparable Honda and Toyota models. Almost five years later, I couldn't be happier with this selection. I have driven this SUV daily and average between 15 to 20K miles per year. I originally worried the V-6 would be low on power, but more MPG outweighed this fear. Ford certainly did a great job of making this V-6 stout. The horses in this engine have been more than enough for my needs. There have been no major problems. Minor problems included a lift gate recall and in 2007 a bad sensor on the brake pedal had to be replaced along with the wire harness at a cost of about $100. Otherwise, this vehicle has been very dependable. Also, the interior is very roomy and lots of hauling capacity in the rear. I have moved three times using this vehicle and have packed lots of items in the back. I can't recommend this vehicle more highly. It is my intention to purchase another Explorer when this one is finally ready to retire.

by from Canal winchester,OH on February 21, 2015

great suv My wife rolled it over and it took a beating and was still togeather and we had to total it. My wife only suffered a broken arm and it was still running when it came to a stop. Engine did not burn or loose oil between oil changes. very reliable only bad thing was it went through wheel bearings

by from Montgomery Co., Maryland on February 2, 2007

Haven't had mine too long, but so far it is everything I was hoping it would be. Owned a '02 Escape 2WD before this. I really wanted a little bigger SUV w/4WD without going "gigantic", ie. Expedition, Navigator, etc. Recently rented a '06 Navigator for a week and was not overly impressed considering the price they go for. My biggest compliment of the '03 Explorer is that the ride reminds me of the Navigator, which was also it's best feature. I feel more secure with the extra weight. The layout of the controls and gauges is very well done. My only complaint so far is the fact that the Explorer only has 9hp more than my Escape, 210hp vs 201hp, but out-weights it by over 1,000lbs. That doesn't make sense. Gas mileage is really going to suffer. Other than that I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. I stayed with an older model as opposed to a'06-'07 for two reasons, price and I wasn't crazy about the re-styling. I much prefer the styling of the '02-'05 model years. I would definately recommend the Explorer to my friends.

by from on April 4, 2013

the explorer is great for what i wanted plenty of room in the interior and auto four wheal or full time four wheal when i need it and plenty of power for my needs

by from Bayvile, NJ on May 15, 2006

use to tow 19 ft Airstream. Only problem was the console gauges which Ford corrected. Have 37K to date. Occasionally have CD jam and correct itself. I get 14 to 21 MPG with about 16 being average for mixed driving.

by from Scottsdale, AZ on May 30, 2013

I bought this car for my son. It is a great first car for him. Very comfortable and high off the ground.

by from Upper Marlboro, MD on December 28, 2007

vehicle handles well, good power, smooth shifting transmision, very roomy, and if maintained well should last long...

by from Racine,WI on June 3, 2017

I liked it since day one. Purchased it to have a vehicle that is a 4x4 and has a 3rd row. I need it sold due to family emergency.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Ford Explorer