NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2017 Explorer

2017 Ford Explorer

Have You Driven the 2017 Ford Explorer?

Love my explorer Sport

by rocky from Chicago, IL on Mon Dec 19 2016

We are a family of 4 and we were looking for a 7 seater SUV so that we have more room for the family and friends. We test drove most of the cars and we were tied with Highlander and Explorer. We liked the highlander too but loved the styling of the explorer sport, its power and its roomy 3rd row and trunk. Even adults can comfortably seat in the 3rd row during long trips that was a huge difference compared to other cars. Toyota highlander lacked trunk space. The explorer drives great and had great power to make it a fun ride. What i love 1. Great Drive 2. Roomy Interior 3. Roomy 3rd Row 4. Comfy seats 5. Roomy Trunk Space 6. Love the ambient lighting 7. Panoramic sun roof 8. 500W speaker and wow its great 9. Sync 3 with Apple car play and Android play 10. Love the 2nd row buckets Things that could be improved 1. The DVD headrest is too expensive 2. The front camera is not self cleaning so if its gets dirty then you have to clean it manually 3. Sun shades for the rear seat. There is a privacy glass though 5. Interior color options for sport. 6. Platinum console for Sport. 7. Rain sensing wipers

Ford Explorer Sport

by donrobva from alexandria on Fri Mar 17 2017

I really like the styling of this vehicle and the third row seating option and what put it over the top of the Mazda CX 9 I was about to buy was the value I received and engine options. Great pick up in the Sport with the 365hp engine and I really love the look. Black exterior and black leather are classic. I cant speak to reliability yet but I do know that my Lincoln MKZ serves me well with 138k miles and counting and I being that is a Ford product I expect the same out of this.

Far superior to competitors! Even larger vehicles.

by Samlovesford from Windsor, California on Mon Sep 11 2017

This vehicle is amazing. I traded in a 2010 Yukon Denali for it. Yukon was of course fully loaded, and so is this. Ended up with the Explorer XLT with Sport Appearance Package and some other extras. Was comparing with Dodge, Honda, Nissan, and GM options. For the price, which was excellent for the deal we ended up with but pricey in terms of some other options, you get the most for your money. We got a better deal and ended up paying less than we would for a Dodge Journey- which is smaller, $10,000 less fully loaded, and equipped to tow off the lot, unlike the Dodge we had to pay for that after and they wouldn't throw it in for us under any circumstances on the top. Our sales crew catered to us, found exactly what we wanted, had it there the next day, refused to let us sign until we saw it, again, unlike Dodge, who wanted us to pay for and sign for a vehicle we wouldn't get to see for 4 days and drive off the lot, after paying for a new vehicle, in our old one. No. Even the 2.3L ecoboost is enough to tow my husband's boat uphill, in crazy terrain, and we only got the FWD. Love the Sync 3 capability and user friendly options. Interior is roomier than most other competitors, space in back may not measure bigger technically compared to other brands, but it is more useful, which in turn means it holds more. Love the extra space under and behind 3rd row, and folding them down flat is SO NICE!!! I love the look as it pulls up when are watching from the outside. Drove off the lot and my kids fell asleep in minutes because it was so quiet and smooth. Great hands free functionality, remote start, coded key pad to enter is so sweet, two times suede and leather I didn't think I would like, but geez. It is beautiful and comfy. And resilient, with kids I expected to be scrubbing off the suede and ruining it. Cleans as easy as full leather. Warranty and maintenance included in our purchase, for 5 years. Can't beat that, alone. Most offer 3 years, tops, or 5 but with a real serious catch to it. The sport appearance package gives you the black rims and trim, and boy does it put competitors to shame. Compliments from everyone who sees it. You ride up higher than most other smaller class Sun's with a similar price tag, roomier and more like a large class SUV, but without that size price tag. My husband absolutely loves it, too, and he was always a GM guy. We have officially turned into happy Ford owners. Great for kids, fun for adults. The Sony stereo system and speakers has some serious pep to it. As does the engine, even with ecoboost and 2.3L. I see others say it doesn't get great gas mileage. All in how you drive it with SUV's, as with any other truck (as it is technically that). I have a lead foot as my husband would say, and I still average 18 mpg around and in town. So I disagree. And with a few hundred miles on it thus far. If you don't get great gas mileage, then stop speeding up and slowing down and speeding up and slowing down. Use the amazing adaptive cruise control or find your sweet spot with the gas pedal and stay there while driving. It's the throttle, off, throttle, off driving with ANY SUV that will reduce your fuel efficiency.

Great midsize SUV with aggressive exterior styling

by 3rdfred from North Tustin, Ca on Sun Oct 21 2018

Great so far. Bought a 2017 Explorer Limited with 15k miles just off lease not wanting to pay for instant depreciation of new car. It is loaded with safety features, cameras, etc. Looked at GMC Acadia but it was a little smaller & didn't have a CD player or cooled, ventilated seats a must in So Cali for a 72 year old guy. Traded in an old Lexus LS400 for this. Also still have a Vette convertible.

Great SUV

by Mcr3020 from Waterloo,IL on Sat Mar 18 2017

Love this SUV...plenty of room..handles great..Gas milage as advertised averages 17 to 18 but on straight highway as high as 23 ....Sync 3 works great and able to connect phone with auto android and use Google maps through it..

Used to own a Jeep Grand Cherokee

by incaseyouarewondering from Detroit, MI on Thu Mar 30 2017

We switched for the third row seating. It is more roomy, but less responsive. Drinks a lot of fuel. Sync 3 works great. Apple Car Play has glitches. The HVAC is terrible. My feet were cold all winter.

Does not recommend this car!!

never before considered this vehicle!

by Nissan:Ford Proud17ExOnr from on Fri Oct 14 2016

This vehicle has a very attractive and functional design. The blind spot of this vehicle is almost non existent; compared to the Nissan equivalent or Toyota's. Ford Sync allows for near effortless connection to Iphone. I owned a nissans before; therefore, I can attest to the durability of those vehicles. However, they start to get a bit shaky after 60,000 miles or so. Comfort in mind; the explorer is very comfortable. Controls are accessible yet discrete. No I do not have the premium infotainment brand, the cost to value was not there for me. Please get the warranty for the electronically components. most are upgraded from previous models, therefore, a buyer should realistically expect breakdowns. As with any newly introduced system, they have bugs undiscovered in the beta phase. I've got a Two drive. I previously owned a 4 wheel drive truck, in Alaska. I went off the beaten path on many occasions in every type of weather. And I towed a boat on dirt, water slicked trails. All without engaging by four wheel drive, (Titan). Used it once to negotiate an ice covered hill in western Canada; hauling 4,500 Lbs of payload. I destroyed the darn transfer case. The explorer is perfect for a family with 2-4 children, age ranging between 0-14. After that you may need to consider a Full size SUV for comfort.

Ford explorer best value for a 7 seater

by Fussybuyer from San jose ca on Thu Apr 27 2017

The cars value is exceptional and at the price point no other make was comparable. I compared to 9 other makes some in higher price brackets.

Love this vehicle

by HeidiB from Spencerville on Sat May 27 2017

Very smooth ride. Enough room for all family members. Very happy with this vehicle. Love the heated seats, heated steering wheel, and blind spot assistance and back up camera.

Replaced 2013 Edge with Explorer

by PG from Myrtle Beach, SC on Wed Apr 26 2017

Much more room and more cargo space. Explorer is as quiet as the Edge and rides very nice. It's taking a little time to get use to the size, after having the smaller Edge. I got the Limited with all available safety items, the price was less than the Platinum version.

Does not recommend this car!!